Old 01-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Scares Little Kids

japanese horror

hello, i'm new here, and i've recently gotten into japanese films such as ichi the killer and battle royale.

i am interested in furthering my collection and wondered if any of you could suggest films i should look out for?

especially films by beat takeshi and takashi miike.

much appreciated!
wayne
Old 01-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Scares Little Kids

My favourite flick from Miike is Audition. It's a great little love story and then takes a wicked left turn and goes off in a completely other direction. Actually Miike just did a true 'horror' movie called 'Chakurai' or 'You've Got A Call'. It just came out in theatres in Asia so it'll probably be a while until it comes out on VCD or DVD.

A Tale Of Two Sisters-takes its time but a creepy flick that builds tension.

Three-Three different shorts. I liked 'Memories' the best. It's from the same director that did 'Sisters'. The second short sucks ass but the thrid little movie is pretty decent.

Ju-On-Definately creepy but my only problem is that they show the ghosts too much-especially the three school girls.

Dark Water-Same dude that did Ringu. Creepy moments.

The Eye-I loved this movie. A cross between Sixth Sense and Mothman Prophecies.

See if you can find The Untold Story. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

Volcano High-Awesome. It's not a horror but it kicks ass and is hilarious.

And I just picked up Infernal Affairs yesterday. It's a cop flick but it's a very good movie. It's a pretty clever filck about communication and passing information rather than shoot-outs. I can't wait to check out the other two.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
I haven't seen a lot of the newer wave of Japanese horror flicks. But I suggest going back and watching A Chinese Ghost Story, The Heroic Trio, Bride with White Hair, and the like. They are more fantasy though, but I like them.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by dashripper

See if you can find The Untold Story. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.
That's the one with Anthony Wong, right? It is pretty intense.

Anthony Wong is also in the Ebola Syndrome, which is also worth seeing, in fact has a lot in common with the Untold Story.

Check out Ricky-O AKA The Story of Ricky. It's not horror but ultra-gory martial arts, ultra-gory to the point of absurdity.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Evil Dead

I hate to be a nit-picker, but I'm pretty sure The Eye, Heroic Trio (which I love!), Bride With White Hair, and Chinese Ghost Story, and others listed here are Chinese. Though Battle Royale and Audition, etc. are from Japan. Don't know if this helps anybody but thought I'd let you know. I hear the zombie movie Stacy is cool, I as always recommend Wild Zero for fun japanese zombie gore and rock n' roll!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quote:
Originally posted by abbycomix
I hate to be a nit-picker, but I'm pretty sure The Eye, Heroic Trio (which I love!), Bride With White Hair, and Chinese Ghost Story, and others listed here are Chinese. Though Battle Royale and Audition, etc. are from Japan.
I thought this might happen. Which is why I should have used the word Oriental. It's much like the action films that we get from that part of the world. No matter where they are filmed they are still called Hong Kong shooters. It's just a bad generalization. I should have been more specific.

But then as George Clooney says in From Dusk Till Dawn when he calls Scott Japanese and is informed that he's Chinese: "Well excuse me all to hell.":D

Glad to see someone else loves The Heroic Trio. Those little devil kids really freak me out.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by abbycomix
I hate to be a nit-picker, but I'm pretty sure The Eye, Heroic Trio (which I love!), Bride With White Hair, and Chinese Ghost Story, and others listed here are Chinese. Though Battle Royale and Audition, etc. are from Japan. Don't know if this helps anybody but thought I'd let you know.
True. The Untold Story and Ebola Syndrome are also Hong Kong, not Japanese. I think we are more sidetracked than ignorant.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by mictlan
I think we are more sidetracked than ignorant.
I hope that's the case.:D
Old 01-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
I know I'm showing my ignorance here...But...Is Cannibal Holocaust Asian?...I've heard a lot about it, but I've never seen it...

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 01-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
I know I'm showing my ignorance here...But...Is Cannibal Holocaust Asian?...I've heard a lot about it, but I've never seen it...
Italian. Most of the "cannibal" flicks were from Italy-those sick bastards.