Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Hellraiser

My gripe with modern horror from 2000+

Has the horror genre lost its touch in the last 10 years or is it me? I mean, sure the 80s & 90s put out some off the wall horror titles and some were goofy but... I no longer see isles & isles of horror with interesting coverart & kids begging their parents to let them watch some insane gorefest. I myself as a child would gaze & wonder what on earth a movie could be about just by box art.When I finally saw these I was more then satisfied.

But now we get interesting concepts that are shot to hell by piss poor characters and a crappy attempt at suspense by dragging out moments to unnecessary lengths. Then theres movies like The Ruins that just disregarded so much... The plants could have been so much but they seemed so underused.

So what do you think about this?

Examples -
-The Ruins
-Touristas
-Hostel & Hostel 2
etc etc
Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Cranky

We get a "what the hell has happened to horror" thread every 10 days or so. Sure, there's plenty of crap out there- but there has been since at least the 80s, IMO. I don't think this is endemic to the horror genre by any means... there's a lot of crap movies of every conceivable type.

When the accountants took over the studios it was the beginning of the end. Every film today is run through so many different type of mills to make sure it will appeal to as wide an audience as possible. That's all that matters these days- the bottom line.

That said, I think there are plenty of gems out there if you go looking for them. Do some deep reading in this forum- you'll find an amazing array of films from the 2000s that pleased a lot of fans here. Stop expecting your local megaplex to bring genius to you. It's not their purpose. Check DVD releases, look on cable- on the indie channels. If you have any indie theatres nearby, check what they're showing. Likewise and film fest that might be happening.

There are great horror films being made today.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Whip In My Valise

Yes, neverending is right; there are plenty of great horror movies, you just need to do a little digging.

It's funny, I was going over my Top Horror Movies Year By Year Thread, and the 2000s had 49 films I recommended as opposed to 26 for the 70s, 22 for the 80s, and 14 for the 90s.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

'Damn - Hollywood has ruined horror with all these sequals. They really ran the Dracula and Frankenstein series into the ground with those 'House of'. They've ran out of ideas and just threw all the monsters together...'

- My Grandfather (65 years ago)

:-)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Misanthrope

^^ :D

neverending nailed it with his post but I do hear what you're saying in regards to cover art and thought the films you mentioned were average as fuck.

There's always a handful of films each year that blow me away each year but you've just got to dig deeper to find them. 90% of major studios output is bland garbage and nothing special.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Heaven for the climate

There are a lot of good independent ones springing up now and then. Masters of horror tends to put out a gem or two.

It's where you look and what you look for. super low budged HI-8 movies can be great as well, even if it is only for a cheap laugh.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Cranky

Understand but diagree

I understand the point you are trying to make. However there are still a lot of good horror flicks out there. With a site like this one you will never run out of ideas or suggestions for a movie. For example try "Suicide" a german movie from 2004. Its a nasty one but very intriguing. Cheers
Old 07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Hellraiser

Thanks for your input guys but my concerns were more that it was getting boring - rather then worse.

I like some newer Horrors such as The Collector, but I'm starting to see a trend of extreme padding - Hours where nothing happens at all.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsneverover View Post
Thanks for your input guys but my concerns were more that it was getting boring - rather then worse.

I like some newer Horrors such as The Collector, but I'm starting to see a trend of extreme padding - Hours where nothing happens at all.
I really enjoyed The Ruins, Hostel, and Hostel 2. Were these films examples of extreme padding?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM

I can't tell you how many movies I get via Net flix, VOD I even have a membership of a store in Hollywood that specializes in Horror and underground movies, that I watch the first half hour and shut it off.. I really haven't seen anything that I can say, I truly enjoyed watching since last year's "Drag me to Hell". I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so please remember THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but the movies today lack any creativeness and originality, to me all I see is a boring overload of computerized gore and a lame TnA show.