Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-24-2016, 06:00 AM
Evil Dead

Old 12-25-2016, 05:56 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Absolutely loved it! Overall, a better accomplishment than The Force Awakens (which was more like an 'old wine in a new bottle' sort of reboot treatment, IMO). Nicely plotted a great prequel story for the NEW HOPE. Loved the characters as well as the way they "re-introduce" those iconic roles. Felicity Jones & Ben Mendelsohn as Director Orson Krennic were mostly impressive.

>>: A

Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

>>: A-

Last edited by roshiq; 12-25-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Evil Dead

Old 12-25-2016, 12:20 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
So where did all that Blair Witch budget go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Quote:
Most of their budget must have gone up their noses! It's an old 80s-90s drug joke.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-25-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Blair Witch (2016)
4/10
I like the first one and I like found footage but this was bad in many ways.

According to Imdb, the budget for this one was about 5 million while the first one has an estimate of 60 thousand.
As Above So Below, another found footage, also had a budget of about 5 million.
That movie was made in Paris, has a bigger cast and looks more expensive with its props, sceneries, effects,...
So where did all that Blair Witch budget go? Trees and dirt?
Ninja training for the actors. Everyone was a fucking ninja in this movie, appearing completely silently out of nowhere for a pointless jump scare.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:53 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Absolutely loved it! Overall, a better accomplishment than The Force Awakens (which was more like an 'old wine in a new bottle' sort of reboot treatment, IMO). Nicely plotted a great prequel story for the NEW HOPE. Loved the characters as well as the way they "re-introduce" those iconic roles. Felicity Jones & Ben Mendelsohn as Director Orson Krennic were mostly impressive.

>>: A

I enjoyed Rogue One more than Force Awakens too. I think Rogue, and I, were much more free of the prior Star Wars character baggage.

As you say, "The Force Awakens (which was more like an 'old wine in a new bottle' sort of reboot treatment, IMO)." Force had too many winks at the prior films, creating an unwelcome dissociative experience (nudging me that I'm watching a film about a film).

I liked all 6 (prior) Star Wars films, which knew how to move forward -- not always in a good way, but at least creating a new experience, and often more than just entertainment.

So I give Rogue green for a new experience, but I can't say I thought Rogue or Force Awakens were very good. I thought they mildly entertaining.

I thought Rogue's main characters were too undeveloped for me to know or care about them. But at least their motivations were clear (unlike Force Awakens). I give Force Awakens points for being intriguing, whereas I don't think either created enough deep cinematic suspense.

What you think of the use of CG human characters?

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-25-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Most of their budget must have gone up their noses! It's an old 80s-90s drug joke.
Oh, ok.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:10 PM
病気の

Christmas Cruelty! , 2013. 7/10

Old 12-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
I enjoyed Rogue One more than Force Awakens too. I think Rogue, and I, were much more free of the prior Star Wars character baggage.

As you say, "The Force Awakens (which was more like an 'old wine in a new bottle' sort of reboot treatment, IMO)." Force had too many winks at the prior films, creating an unwelcome dissociative experience (nudging me that I'm watching a film about a film).

I liked all 6 (prior) Star Wars films, which knew how to move forward -- not always in a good way, but at least creating a new experience, and often more than just entertainment.

So I give Rogue green for a new experience, but I can't say I thought Rogue or Force Awakens were very good. I thought they mildly entertaining.

I thought Rogue's main characters were too undeveloped for me to know or care about them. But at least their motivations were clear (unlike Force Awakens). I give Force Awakens points for being intriguing, whereas I don't think either created enough deep cinematic suspense.

What you think of the use of CG human characters?
Can't disagree with your points on character baggage & lack of originality issues. Though I'm not certain but I think that is where George Lucas & the Studio couldn't reach to a mutual agreement on how to move forward with the story line gradually. After his sad mess with the rise of Darth Vader trilogy, I've doubt that they have consider any of his idea relating to in what direction the series should go next. And now as we see they are mostly treating this whole re-birth of the franchise thing with a 'fandom' approach, focusing & repeating the things that the fans mostly like about the original saga. For a time being, it is a 'safe move' for both the Disney & Lucasfilm but it will be interesting to see how they going pitch the new things (including characters, story arc with fresh twists & turns) slowly into the new saga. Because eventually they have to do that & they know that, otherwise the same fans going to get tired of it at some point.
The thing that I mostly liked about the R1 was it's about the unsung heroes of the rebellions who were also fighting for the same great cause but without much direct influence of the Force or some Jedi backup. Found mostly the Cargo pilot guy who was the messenger for Galen Erso was underdeveloped or needed some back story.
One thing I'm still looking forward to see a strong, important or bad ass good guy sort of character from other species (obviously with human traits/values) other than just for some comic relief or as a side kick in this new saga. For example, they could have made the Rebel intelligence office Cassian somewhat like that. But liked the addition of Asian characters - Chirrut & Baze into the story. Thought the action scenes, particularly the final battle was pretty awesome, better executed than TFA.

I don't have any complain of using CG characters as long the story needs them there as now they have the supportive tech to properly fit them in, but yeah...surprised to see the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin got that much good amount of screen time here. It kinda gave me goosebumps, man!

Last edited by roshiq; 12-25-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Evil Sweat

The Accountant (2016)
B/C
Decent action-thriller but some bits were too predictable.
Also expected more action.

Uncle Nick (2015)
C
Drama/comedy but the drama made the comedy seem kinda unnecessary.

Tags
movie