Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Mary Killed her Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Carrion Comfort is excellent, ranks very high on the list of top vampire novels.

I have not read A Winter Haunting yet, but I can tell you that it is somewhat of a sequel to Simmons earlier novel Summer of Night which is the first book of his that I've read and it would tie as my favorite horror novel ever with Stephen King's IT.

Song of Kali is the third book of Simmons that I've read and haven't read another novel quite like it, it it takes you into this dingy, creepy vision of Calcutta, India and a religious sect dedicated to the Hindu goddess Kali. The ending is one of the most frightening and heart-wrenching endings I've ever read.

Tell me what you think of A Winter Haunting, I have a copy somewhere, I need to make it the next novel I read, right now I'm reading Robert McCammon's They Thirst.
Lol Bob, you sound ALOT like myself when I describe a book to somebody. You put alot of emotion into it and I can tell they must be really good and can't wait to try them. Anyway, i'll give you some good recommendations to of my favorites. (If you already read them, let me know if you agree)
~The Dead Zone. Kind of like a Gothic Horror yet not really. Elements of Mystery, fantasy, action and romance, you fall in love with the charactors. It's just one of those books you get glued too from begining to end, you litterally just eat, sleep and read because you are so drilled into the story. And those kind of books are the best, when I look back on the 2 week experience of reading the Dead Zone, everything in my world was about John smith in his world. It's a must-read for any fiction-lover and my favorite book of all time, right next to ~The Black House. Although I don't think the Black House is for everybody because (shockingly enough) I've heard people warn others not to read it and I couldn't believe because it was litterally one of the greatest reads of my life. So yeah; Misery, The Dead Zone, Salems Lot, and Black House are all my #1 recommendations. Just can't see anybody not liking those although there are but you sound like you have the same taste as I do. The Talisman was great too & would be nice to read before Black House because it's the same charactor when he was a child but you don't hafto... I read them vice versa and it didn't matter.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Koontz_KetchumKid View Post
Lol Bob, you sound ALOT like myself when I describe a book to somebody. You put alot of emotion into it and I can tell they must be really good and can't wait to try them. Anyway, i'll give you some good recommendations to of my favorites. (If you already read them, let me know if you agree)
~The Dead Zone. Kind of like a Gothic Horror yet not really. Elements of Mystery, fantasy, action and romance, you fall in love with the charactors. It's just one of those books you get glued too from begining to end, you litterally just eat, sleep and read because you are so drilled into the story. And those kind of books are the best, when I look back on the 2 week experience of reading the Dead Zone, everything in my world was about John smith in his world. It's a must-read for any fiction-lover and my favorite book of all time, right next to ~The Black House. Although I don't think the Black House is for everybody because (shockingly enough) I've heard people warn others not to read it and I couldn't believe because it was litterally one of the greatest reads of my life. So yeah; Misery, The Dead Zone, Salems Lot, and Black House are all my #1 recommendations. Just can't see anybody not liking those although there are but you sound like you have the same taste as I do. The Talisman was great too & would be nice to read before Black House because it's the same charactor when he was a child but you don't hafto... I read them vice versa and it didn't matter.
Yeah, I've read all of those, although I've been meaning to do a re-read of The Dead Zone. It wasn't one of my favorites of his but maybe I wasn't in the right mood.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Mary Killed her Lamb

"Yeah, I've read all of those, although I've been meaning to do a re-read of The Dead Zone. It wasn't one of my favorites of his but maybe I wasn't in the right mood"
Oh...:o ..lol Welp, I tryed. Still cannot believe you read Insomnia in 4 days. Geez.. Took me 3 months. But then again I worked and went to school during the week so I was very busy at the time but it felt like forever. I never quit a book though, even when I'm not into it.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Koontz_KetchumKid View Post
"Yeah, I've read all of those, although I've been meaning to do a re-read of The Dead Zone. It wasn't one of my favorites of his but maybe I wasn't in the right mood"
Oh...:o ..lol Welp, I tryed. Still cannot believe you read Insomnia in 4 days. Geez.. Took me 3 months. But then again I worked and went to school during the week so I was very busy at the time but it felt like forever. I never quit a book though, even when I'm not into it.
Sometimes a book won't grab you the first time you read it, maybe you just weren't in the right mindset, a re-read can change your mind about a book. For example, when I first read King's From A Buick 8 I didn't think it was one of his strongest novels but after I re-read it that changed. I think it is a very clever, well-written, and eery novel with some great character development and it shows how much King has grown in his writing. This is the reason I want to re-read The Dead Zone, I may have just not been in the right mood for it.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Mary Killed her Lamb

Oh absolutely Bob... That's what I was thinking when you told me you weren't a big-fan of The Dead Zone, figured you weren't as settled in your normal state of reading zone like you get into for others but yeah, I would try it again and take your time unless 4 days works for you. So tell me what you thought about Black House? From a Buick 8 I happen to own but have not gotten to and may never considering I have about 625 books which all look amazing and cant wait to get to. Oh by the way, I'm also a fan of crime, fantasy and some action but Horror i my #1. Fantasies like SK's The Eyes of the Dragon or Hunger Games, are a real big passion of mine as well but majority of fantasy books just aren't my thing, only some of them i love. Same for crime, I love the Lincoln Rhyme Series (Amazing) series. Or "presumed Innocent" By Scott Turow. Tom Picirelli another great Horror author to me. Hmm...OMG and Heather Grahams "Flynn Brother series you would love and should take your time on. The Lost by Jack ketchum was good.. I'm just rambling now but yeah, what' you think aout Black House?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Demon from Ago

I really loved Black House it was a great sequel to The Talisman, different and creepier and it too is a part of The Dark Tower. It has been awhile since I've read it so I don't remember many of the details but I remember really enjoying myself while reading it.

Since you are a crime/mystery fan and a horror fan, then I have to suggest Michael Slade. His novels are a cross between murder mystery and horror and most of his novels have the same protagonist like the Lincoln Rhyme books.

So, as far as horror writers go, what authors have you read?

You sound like me, I have over 800 novels and have probably only gotten halfway through all of them, lol. I've read 85% of King's novels but can't say that about any other author, which means I've read a lot of different writers.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
I actually loved Insomnia, it did start slow but once the meat of the story started I couldn't put it down, read it in like 3 or 4 days. It helped knowing that it was connected to The Dark Tower too.
It's my fave King book-had no idea that it was connected to The Dark Tower but I never have got through all of them.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Yeah, I've read all of those, although I've been meaning to do a re-read of The Dead Zone. It wasn't one of my favorites of his but maybe I wasn't in the right mood.
Never too keen on the book at all really-I feel the same as you-I felt like I should have loved it more and that maybe I was missing something but I just don't have the will to read it again.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
It's my fave King book-had no idea that it was connected to The Dark Tower but I never have got through all of them.
Several of his novels and short stories are connected to The Dark Tower like Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Mist, IT, and Hearts in Atlantis to name a few. Here's a list of novels and short stories related to The Dark Tower whether they have a major or minor connection: http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/connections/

Last edited by Bob Gray; 12-06-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Mary Killed her Lamb

Quote:
I really loved Black House it was a great sequel to The Talisman, different and creepier and it too is a part of The Dark Tower. It has been awhile since I've read it so I don't remember many of the details but I remember really enjoying myself while reading it.

Since you are a crime/mystery fan and a horror fan, then I have to suggest Michael Slade. His novels are a cross between murder mystery and horror and most of his novels have the same protagonist like the Lincoln Rhyme books.

So, as far as horror writers go, what authors have you read?

You sound like me, I have over 800 novels and have probably only gotten halfway through all of them, lol. I've read 85% of King's novels but can't say that about any other author, which means I've read a lot of different writers.
Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you Bob. Busy week with my Army recruitor.- I felt the same way while reading the Black House. I almost always enjoy reading but books like that are just rare, there like a complete escape from reality. Really, really enjoyed that book. Lmao yes, I have so many books and don't read as fast as I once did for whatever reason but I'll eventually get through all of them i'm sure. Hmm, horror authors I have read.. I'm like you whereas I have read mostly King because he is what got me into reading in the first place. I read a little over 20 King Novels.. I've read 2 Dean Koontz- "The Taking" and "Your Heart Belongs to me". Tom Piccirilli- "Midnight Road" and "Every Shallow Cut" "The Killing Room" by John Manning, The Girl Next Door (one of my favorites) by Ketchum and The Lost just to name a few... And I plan to try out Bentley Little and John Saul and Simmons like you recommended I do. How is Little or Saul, have you ever read one of theirs?
My apologies if I missed any typos