Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Evil Dead

The Hurt Locker - 7/10

It was a good movie with a fairly good narrative but it didn't really grab me. I know it won 6 Oscars and 6 BAFTAs but they were all for technical categories, so I reckon, it's an extremely proficient piece of movie making but lacks a bit on story and acting performance.
3. suspiria
4. the exorcist
5. ringu
6. tcm
7. exorcist III
8. the omen
9. haute tension
10. creep

Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Wicked Witch Of The North

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
Trolljegeren (The Trollhunter)

This film is the Norwegian answer to The Blair Witch Project but instead of the ghost of witches, it is trolls. The movie is plain hilarious. I really enjoyed it, and for a rather small Norwegian production the effects are very good.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Bad Natured

Buried (2010). This is a movie that requires lots of trust going in, and it takes a while before that trust gets earned. For movie fans that are moved by daring premises, this will be an amazing experience. But for those with short attention spans or that prefer the typical movie setup then you will almost assuredly be disappointed by Buried.

The story was ridiculously simple, and the challenge here was finding a way to fill its run time. Once it got going, though, I was fully sucked in and never again did I wonder how they were going to pull it off, instead finding myself whisked away by this terrifying ride.

Ryan Reynolds makes for an unlikely choice to helm this gripping tale, but he pulls it off miraculously. This movie demands that every possible emotion be elicited and then conveyed, and Ryan does so swimmingly in the tight confines of the set.

The direction and camera work make small wonders grow into a magnificent movie experience. With so little to work with, the camera and limited lighting is used in every possible way to help the story unravel. In doing so the audience almost becomes a participant in Ryan's plight, and his highs and lows are not just seen but felt.

Little more can be said of this flick without ruining it, so for those that are fans of claustrophobic thrillers then this is a must see. Merci.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookZombie View Post

This film is the Norwegian answer to The Blair Witch Project but instead of the ghost of witches, it is trolls. The movie is plain hilarious. I really enjoyed it, and for a rather small Norwegian production the effects are very good.
really want to see this one
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Bad Natured

The Hunger (1983). The opening scene of The Hunger is a harbinger of what is to come. For those entranced by the visually rich style, incredibly wicked audio, and viciously sexy composure, then stay tuned because this will be a real treat. But for those drawn to story, plot, or novel adaptation authenticity you are probably going to be wildly disappointed.

As stated, the story itself is hinted at but remains as fleshless as its victims. It is not that it is hard to follow, but it is almost childishly simple. The same old philosophic ideals such as the dreadful fear of death are hinted at, but these notions go no further than that. While the denouement was quite chilling, then end proper almost served as an executive Hollywood demand.

The acting was astounding. Bowie was better than expected, but it was Catherine Deneuve's chilling performance that really put ice in the heart of vampire love. Her character was so emotionally distant yet engaging that questioning her humanity became second nature, yet everything she does was ostensibly human. In other words, she exudes an otherworldly detachment that deifies description. Susan Sarandon is almost a second thought in comparison to Catherine, and this only furthers the inhuman puissance that is the central character's monstrosity.

The direction, camera work and editing all work together to slather up a rich tapestry of Gothic beauty that almost challenges the naysayer's want of a story proper. When the score is not offering up a deliciously cold dish of classical melody, it is grating the ears with a harmony of death, only to be followed by a chillingly engrossing scene whose guilty pleasures are thrown to the wind such that its sumptuous mise en scène can be savored as if just served in the snootiest of aristocratic manors.

In the end, having sat through such a savage ensemble of deeply beautiful and dark imagery, instead of ruining the whole experience with the retardation of thought, instead just sit back and let the remote in your mind replay those magical scenes as if the experience took place in an upscale gallery.
d

Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookZombie View Post

That sounds ridiculously awesome - Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
The Final Destination - Imaginative (albeit ridiculously chain-event based) deaths do not make up for an unimaginative (aka absent) storyline.
Planet of the Apes (1968) - Used this to wash my eyes of the aforementioned filth.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Bad Natured

Ghost World (2001). The dream of every high schooler, to merely graduate, is the drab starting point for the journey into the real world for our two protags. Unfortunately the real world sucks more than high school. This is a tale that examines the creation of an artificial facade of personality in order to stave off the loneliness of eccentricity. Being true to the self might look good on paper, but its main contribution to our lives appears to help keep the weekly planner ink free. Sadly, this gem of a flick hits its mark in the truth of Western civilization. On the bright side, this film has so much fun making light of humanity that its bitter bullet is thoroughly sweetened.

Thora Birch steals the show amongst a throng full of wonderful performances. Her refusal to hold back her caustic opinions is delightfully entertaining, but her character is so painfully authentic, her tongue so biting, that it is hard to imagine her not becoming a nasty old cat lady that is the terror of her favorite haunts. Scarlett Johansson's character is equally believable, though it is unimaginable that at such a young age anyone could capture such a villainous sense of depression and then express it with piercing aplomb. Steve Buscemi is equally delightful, his role almost glamorizing the quirky dork with a sentimentality such that we completely understand how Thora's character could almost canonize the fuel of his sadness. The other characters are a genius collection of clones that we all end up hanging out with and eccentric types that we keep at a social distance but secretly admire.

Director Terry Zwigoff takes this script from a comic and weaves it into a highly entertaining dark comedy with a message that neither criticizes the hopelessness of conformation nor offers any instant solutions. Instead, ours is a world where the cultural foundation always exists in our memories but is ever elusive in the present moment, leaving us empty on the one hand or lonely on the other. The ending, so simple that it tempts us to cry foul, poignantly leaves us filled with the clear message that either way, our lives or our spirits are doomed to suffer invisibility.
d

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Bitter Feast (2010)

>>: B

Panic in the Streets (1950)

>>: A-

Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus (2010)

>>: D

Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom (1975)

>>: B+
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Pulp Fiction (as you may have guessed from my Facebook quote).

Empire Strikes Back - All the talk of it in the Spoiler thread made me want to watch it. I've just reached the "He told me enough...he told me YOU killed him..." line. I wonder what's coming next!

The Ferrets like it...