Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM
From The Beyond

Tell us more about Cathy's Curse and The Demon Of Luclow-I've never heard of them.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
HDC Idol

The Social Network

Now I can see why everyone liked this film - It's intriguing, well-written, well-directed, and the acting is superb. While I haven't been all that impressed with Jesse Eisenberg in the past, I thought that he was perfect as the OCD Mark Zuckerberg, a misanthrope who is both hero and unlikeable at the same time. It's a really good, solid story. And Justin Timberlake was fantastic too. Wish he appeared in more good films.

3.75/5

The Town

I'm actually pretty upset that The Town wasn't wasn't up for Best Picture this year - I would say that The Town is my second or third favorite movie of the year (definitely second to Black Swan, though possibly third to Despicable Me, which just makes me incredibly happy)... Could be that I'm biased; I'm from the Boston area and get a certain delight from watching actors who can get the damn accent right (it's not just about dropping your R's, by the way)... Or it could be that this crime drama was a really thrilling character piece with characters whom I honestly cared about. Jeremy Renner is utterly brilliant (definitely deserves the Oscar nod), and Rebecca Hall is incredibly sympathetic. And I don't care what people say about Ben Affleck - While he may be limited, he's talented within his sphere. And apparently a great actor, too.

I loved this film - I was on the edge of my seat, intrigued the whole time. Highly recommend it.

4.5/5.

Devil

I had heard a couple of rumors that this movie wasn't too bad, so I figured that I should check it out. As it turns out, it was surprisingly good. Good story, solid acting, and the end brought everything full circle. It's one of those "solid 3" movies - Not amazing, but a good, quality little flick.

3.5/5.

Mutants

Sigh - Ok. So this movie obviously had a decent budget - The direction was solid and the acting good... BUT... The movie doesn't really give me anything that I haven't already seen before.

Meh.

2.25/5.

The New Daughter

Ick. Pretty bad writing accompanied with awful acting... And a pretty poor story. Disappointed as Rue Morgue Magazine seemed to like this one. I was hoping it would be a "solid 3." Oh well.

1.75/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:22 PM
From The Beyond

I didn't like Devil at all but I can see why some people like it. I'm intrigued by the Town that loooks interesting. Cheers
Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
I didn't like Devil at all but I can see why some people like it. I'm intrigued by the Town that loooks interesting. Cheers
In truth, I probably have an inflated opinion about Devil because I thought it was going to be utter garbage... and so when it wasn't terrible, of course I was surprised. ;)

Definitely check out The Town - It's not as good as, say, The Departed (which is one of my all-time favorites), but it's a really, solid character piece. I'm actually psyched with how well it came out (being from the Boston area and all, my pride is showing through).

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Scares Little Kids

Land of the Dead

I just got done watching Land of the Dead. I rented three movies (Incubus, Last House in the Woods, and Land of the Dead). I didn't watch 20 minutes of the other two crappy movies before I popped in Land of the Dead, and it was cool as hell. The way they portray the zombies with some intelligence is awesome.

BTW: The Town is one of my all time favorite movies. Very well done.

Last edited by Tinsnip; 02-27-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Little Boo

I just watched Bread Crumbs. It was a decent, lower-budget slasher-horror-fairy tale flick. It's a little inconsistent, the gore isn't mind blowing, and the story is somewhat familiar, but it evokes some interesting atmosphere and held my attention.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsnip View Post
I just got done watching Land of the Dead. I rented three movies (Incubus, Last House in the Woods, and Land of the Dead). I didn't watch 20 minutes of the other two crappy movies before I popped in Land of the Dead, and it was cool as hell. The way they portray the zombies with some intelligence is awesome.

BTW: The Town is one of my all time favorite movies. Very well done.
I loved Land Of The Dead an excellent film. although I wasn't keen on the camcorder one or Survival Of The Dead.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Evil Dead

Moon - An impressive and intelligent sci fi piece,Moon is remarkably accomplished given the Writer/Director's (Duncan Jones) relative inexperience.
The film benefits from Sam Rockwell's convincing portrayal of the isolated and emotionally strained central character,Rockwell's haunting and engaging performance is crucial to the success of the film as there are really no other characters to speak of.
I thought Clint Mansell's lingering eerie score complemented perfectly the melancholy tone of the film.Mansell is amassing an impressive body of work and I would be surprised if he didn't win an Acadamy Award at some point.

9/10

Last edited by DP McCoy; 03-07-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:46 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Troll Hunter" 7/10

Meh... the trolls were great. The rest wasn't quite.

I hope a sequal is coming up with much more trolls and a better story. And less handheld cameras.:)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Misanthrope

The Mechanic (2011)

A bit to flashy to really get across what made the original so great. The opening sequence was way to James Bond and didn't sit right with me. No masterpiece but a decent enough timewaster.