Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Why Metal Owns You

Why Metal Owns You

I’m sick of hearing idiots bash metal, using the same tired arguments each time: “It’s just noise.” “You can’t understand what they’re saying.” “Man, that shit’s too crazy and evil for me.” Or even worse, equating metal with mallcore drivel (Evanescence, Linkin Park, Lacuna Coil) as if the two were equal. Enough is enough. This is why metal owns you:

Metal is the most experimental, stylistically diverse, and artistically honest genre of music on the face of the planet. Where more mainstream genres incessantly rehash lame, overused ideas and concepts to the point of nausea, metal is constantly innovating and evolving. Its subgenres can be seamlessly crossed with each other, and metal itself can be combined with nearly any other genre of music. Rock, punk, classical, jazz, hardcore, industrial, folk, electronica, ambient, even polka- all have, at some point, been incorporated successfully into metal.

Metal is more emotional than any mainstream music. Anger, fury, exultation, melancholy, fear, hatred, ecstasy, love, are all to be found in metal, with considerably more intensity than in, say, rock. Whereas a rock band might use a few strings or woodwinds to convey some ersatz emotion, many metal bands use full orchestras and choirs, with classical arrangements.

Metal musicians are much more talented than the majority of mainstream musicians. They usually play faster, tighter, and with more complexity than just about anything you could hear on the radio today. Jon Levasseur or Luca Turilli could outplay Hendrix or Page any day of the week. Mikael Åkerfeldt can single handedly sing better than anyone out on the radio or TV today. The song structures are more complex, and the lyrics are often beautiful, almost poetry. Compare this to the infantile three-chord banality of most modern rock, and the nauseating sameness and monotony of most country and rap. Metal wins every time.

Metal transcends cultures in a way mainstream music could never dream of. As of now, there are metal bands from North and South America, Europe, Australia, even Asia and Africa. The bands often incorporate elements of their local cultures and music into their sound… metal is the true “world music”.

In sum… Metal is beautiful, and majestic, and furious. It is wolves howling and thunder crashing. It is battlefields soaked crimson in the blood of the slain. It is demon-haunted northern forests. It is moonlit graveyards. It is an autumn dusk. It is the starry vastnesses of space. Almost all other forms of music are inferior.

METAL OWNS YOU.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Banned

Re: Why Metal Owns You

Quote:
Originally posted by Evis™
Why Metal Owns You

I’m sick of hearing idiots bash metal, using the same tired arguments each time: “It’s just noise.” “You can’t understand what they’re saying.” “Man, that shit’s too crazy and evil for me.” Or even worse, equating metal with mallcore drivel (Evanescence, Linkin Park, Lacuna Coil) as if the two were equal. Enough is enough. This is why metal owns you:

Metal is the most experimental, stylistically diverse, and artistically honest genre of music on the face of the planet. Where more mainstream genres incessantly rehash lame, overused ideas and concepts to the point of nausea, metal is constantly innovating and evolving. Its subgenres can be seamlessly crossed with each other, and metal itself can be combined with nearly any other genre of music. Rock, punk, classical, jazz, hardcore, industrial, folk, electronica, ambient, even polka- all have, at some point, been incorporated successfully into metal.

Metal is more emotional than any mainstream music. Anger, fury, exultation, melancholy, fear, hatred, ecstasy, love, are all to be found in metal, with considerably more intensity than in, say, rock. Whereas a rock band might use a few strings or woodwinds to convey some ersatz emotion, many metal bands use full orchestras and choirs, with classical arrangements.

Metal musicians are much more talented than the majority of mainstream musicians. They usually play faster, tighter, and with more complexity than just about anything you could hear on the radio today. Jon Levasseur or Luca Turilli could outplay Hendrix or Page any day of the week. Mikael Åkerfeldt can single handedly sing better than anyone out on the radio or TV today. The song structures are more complex, and the lyrics are often beautiful, almost poetry. Compare this to the infantile three-chord banality of most modern rock, and the nauseating sameness and monotony of most country and rap. Metal wins every time.

Metal transcends cultures in a way mainstream music could never dream of. As of now, there are metal bands from North and South America, Europe, Australia, even Asia and Africa. The bands often incorporate elements of their local cultures and music into their sound… metal is the true “world music”.

In sum… Metal is beautiful, and majestic, and furious. It is wolves howling and thunder crashing. It is battlefields soaked crimson in the blood of the slain. It is demon-haunted northern forests. It is moonlit graveyards. It is an autumn dusk. It is the starry vastnesses of space. Almost all other forms of music are inferior.

METAL OWNS YOU.
meh.it's just noise. Give me a good polka anyday.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Post-Moderation

Ill agree....Although not my favorite genre, and not something i'm always in the mood for. Metal does own.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Why Metal Owns You

Quote:
Originally posted by newb
meh.it's just noise. Give me a good polka anyday.
Your humor sucks. It's old and tired. Replying to a post using the exact thing in question. Can it already. You're not funny, nor have you ever been.

If you're not going to post something funny or relevant, don't post at all.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Banned

What are you talking about, Im hysterical. You said so your self.LMFAO Were your exact words er or what you typed after my first ever post. So please love me evis, I wanna be just like you.:rolleyes:
Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by newb
What are you talking about, Im hysterical. You said so your self.LMFAO Were your exact words er or what you typed after my first ever post. So please love me evis, I wanna be just like you.:rolleyes:
I believe sarcasm isn't a part of your limitless vocabulary.....
Old 04-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Banned

Then how did you recognize it as such.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:12 PM
a people person

you know what i think. i think newb is a 13 year old who has been reading the forum for a while but didnt join because he/she was to young tell just a few days ago. she/he probly thinks thet he/she is pretty popular, and feels if she/he post in every thread it will make him/her more respected.

now back to the subject i love metal but i wouldnt want to hear it all the time. my favorite time for metal is when im pissed or sad. metal to me is a release from the world of pop and rap. ps i dont play much metal on the bass but i love to play the drums metal has it just seems to have a sweet fast feel to it.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by last bad move
you know what i think. i think newb is a 13 year old who has been reading the forum for a while but didnt join because he/she was to young tell just a few days ago. she/he probly thinks thet he/she is pretty popular, and feels if she/he post in every thread it will make him/her more respected.
I'm impressed, you got me all figured out. Respect from a gaggle of 17 yr old computer geeks is my ultimate goal.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Post-Moderation

lol, you said "gaggle", maybe its my sleep dep. but i thought that was funny as shit....:p