Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime

Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
If You're Gonna Murder Someone...Don't Make A 'To Do List' For It

Frogman Invades Bedroom

Australia - A jilted romeo is accused of launching an elaborate land and sea operation to dispose of his male competition – breaking into the man's luxurious canal-front home on the Gold Coast and stabbing him with a fishing knife before chasing the naked couple through the mansion.

The story of the bizarre love triangle was relayed to a Supreme Court jury yesterday on the opening day of the trial of John Alvaro Arroyo, who is accused of attempting to murder Garry Corfield in the Hope Island home he shared with Arroyo's former flatmate Kathy Gentry.

Corfield and Gentry, who became live-in lovers just weeks before the February 2003 attack and are now engaged, had been lying in bed about 10pm when Arroyo, dressed in a wetsuit and holding a large knife, allegedly appeared in their bedroom.

Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller told the court in his opening address it would be alleged Arroyo had stolen a rowboat which he had used to gain access to the canal-front home and then climbed on to the roof and down on to a balcony outside the couple's bedroom.

Mr Fuller showed the jury what appeared to be a timeline, or to-do list, that was later found in Arroyo's Main Beach apartment which contained a list of items including "crowbar for door", "wetsuit" and "snorkel". The word "kill" was among the jottings.

Arroyo has admitted to taking the boat and inflicting the stab wounds on Corfield, but denies he intended to inflict the injuries. He pleaded not guilty to burglary, attempted murder and the alternative charge of grievous bodily harm with intent.

Corfield, who spent eight days in hospital after the attack, told the court yesterday he had met Gentry, a personal trainer, through an introduction agency.

At that stage Gentry had been sharing a unit with Arroyo, but after he had started acting strangely, she moved in with Corfield.

He told the court they had been in bed on the night of February 6 when he heard a noise and saw Arroyo, knife in hand, standing in the doorway. They struggled, and Corfield said he had managed to escape to another part of the house, but when he looked down he noticed he was bleeding from a wound to his chest.

Gentry fled to a downstairs room during the incident.

Corfield said he pressed a panic button fitted in the kitchen – which alerted Hope Island security guards – and armed himself with two knives, but while he was on the phone to the security officers, Arroyo slashed the phone line.

The dramatic incident ended when security officers burst in less than a minute later.

Security guard Michael Roberts told the court he had been confronted with a hysterical naked woman, a bleeding naked man and an apologetic man in a wetsuit.

He said Arroyo told him: "I didn't mean to do it."

Another attending security guard said Arroyo claimed Corfield had run at him while he was holding the knife.

Barrister Soraya Ryan, for Arroyo, told the jury in a brief address yesterday that there was "a whole lot more to the story" than what the prosecution had alleged in its opening.

She said her client had told police that when he entered the bedroom he just wanted to "talk" and recover some of his possessions from Gentry.

The trial, before Justice Debbie Mullins, continues.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be

Last edited by bloodrayne; 02-17-2006 at 08:13 AM.