Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Cranky

Though Machen and Blackwood are great writers, which I admire myself, the OP didn't ask for examples of atmosphere. Also, perusing Lovecraft's essay will not yeild the type of material the poster asked for. Though Lovecraft keenly analyzed the supernatural tale, and admired the form, it isn't what he wrote, with few exceptions, and it isn't what the poster is looking for. He asked for examples of "great unknowable terror" or what has come to be referred to as "cosmic horror."

It wasn't until Lovecraft himself that this concept was fully developed, though traces of it can be seen in Robert W. Chambers, an author that did specifically inspire Lovecraft. A couple of Lovecraft's contemporaries, Clark Ashton Smith and Frank Belknap Long also excelled in this type of tale. In particular, Long's story "The Hounds of Tindalos" is notable.

For more modern examples od cosmic terror, there is Willum Hopfrog Pugmire, who I mentioned previously, Joe Pulver, Brian Lumley, and many others. Look up the Lovecraft EZine online for hours of fascinating reading in the tradition of Lovecraft.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Little Boo

Thumbs up

Dear neverending.
Thank you so much for the insightful post with great suggestions!
I am not familiar with Willum Hopfrog Pugmire you mentioned but the reviews that I just checked sound very promising.
I look forward to read his work sooner rather than later.
Again, thanks a bunch for the suggestion and cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Though Machen and Blackwood are great writers, which I admire myself, the OP didn't ask for examples of atmosphere. Also, perusing Lovecraft's essay will not yeild the type of material the poster asked for. Though Lovecraft keenly analyzed the supernatural tale, and admired the form, it isn't what he wrote, with few exceptions, and it isn't what the poster is looking for. He asked for examples of "great unknowable terror" or what has come to be referred to as "cosmic horror."

It wasn't until Lovecraft himself that this concept was fully developed, though traces of it can be seen in Robert W. Chambers, an author that did specifically inspire Lovecraft. A couple of Lovecraft's contemporaries, Clark Ashton Smith and Frank Belknap Long also excelled in this type of tale. In particular, Long's story "The Hounds of Tindalos" is notable.

For more modern examples od cosmic terror, there is Willum Hopfrog Pugmire, who I mentioned previously, Joe Pulver, Brian Lumley, and many others. Look up the Lovecraft EZine online for hours of fascinating reading in the tradition of Lovecraft.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post

Do you not think a lot of elements from The Great God Pan can be seen in some of Lovecraft's work.

You can also add Robert E. Howard/Robert Bloch to the list of Mythos writers.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Cranky

Sure, Lovecraft loved the story, and some say it had a great influence on The Dunwich Horror, but I don't think it's what the poster is looking for. Perhaps I'm being a bit strict in my interpretation.

We could go on all day naming writers influenced by Lovecraft. I just chose a couple I thought fit the bill closest with what the OP was looking for. The Lovecraftian elements in Howard's work in particular are tenuous at best. They were great friends and elements rubbed off on each other, but Howard was much more concerned with action and the rise and fall of decadent civilizations; whereas Lovecraft was concerned with fear of the unknown and our inability to deal with knowledge beyond our comprehension.

This what makes Lovecraft so popular today- his depiction of an unfeeling, indifferent cosmos, a universe that couldn't care less if humanity was wiped from existence.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by neverending; 12-22-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Wanna Join?

Actually shadyJ, it might be to your advantage to locate a copy of Lovecraft's "Supernatural Horror In Literature" if you're truly interested in stories, not necessarily Lovecraft's, in which "unspeakable and indescribable horror" play a major role. Why? The type of story he was mostly concerned with wasn't old school Gothic brandishing "secret murder, bloody bones, or a sheeted form clanking chains according to rule", but what he called "the true weird tale." This "literature of cosmic fear in its purest form", to which I believe Lovecraft himself aspired in his own fiction, Cthulhu Mythos not excepted, is distinguished by "a certain atmosphere of breathless and unexplainable dread of outer, unknown forces." Consulting his essay may yield much easily steered down your own personal dark alley. If not, I sincerely apologize.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE

Last edited by sfear; 12-22-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Little Boo

If I may, I would strongly recommend some of the works of Robert E Howard to an appreciator of Lovecraftian horror. Howard is most well known for creating Conan the Barbarian, a character whose short stories and universe should not be judged based on movies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger or Jason Momoa. Howard was a friend to Lovecraft, and drew heavily from his work in many of his stories. If you are interested in exploring Lovecraftian themes and horror in a medieval or fantasy milieu, Howard's Conan the Barbarian and Solomon Kane short stories are an excellent choice.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Hellraiser

I also would like to recommend Thomas Ligotti's Shadow at the Bottom of the World. You want eerie, cosmic horror this guy does it. I would say it is a bit more "out there" than Lovecraft, but the style is very similar and the horror and its results are very similar to Lovecraft.