Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
(First of all no offense to anyone here thats american etc, I dont mean any..)

Americans think that they can take an asian horror, and make it much better by adding some special effects and CGI...we all know americans like things to be bigger and more fantastical.

Asian horror generally doesnt have amazing effects, but they dont need effects because they work on scaring the viewer psychologically, rather than with other the top effects. It often works a lot on what you dont see, and that is in actual fact a lot scarier most of the time.

These days asian horror is getting a lot wealthier, but I still never expect them to have the amount of effects hollywood studios use, because they dont NEED or WANT them in their movies to scare people, and to produce high quality horror.

Instead they use original (although often based on folk-law and ghost legends) and wonderfully creative stories to sell there movies instead. Coupled with characters you can actually sympathise with, backed up with actors who arent just in it for the money.

American movie companies are trying to cash in on these films by re-making them, simply because they cant create any original movies of their own.

They also realise that many of the movie go-ers would never of seen the original before, because lets face it they are usually ignorant to other cultures, or at least dont have the patience to experience anything other than what they are used to. In this case, with horror movies, another teen slasher flick, with lots of sex and gore.

I for one wish they would try and diversify without having to re-make movies which I am very fond of.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Evil Dead

You mean Kairo, Pulse is the name of the bad american re-make. It hardly had any CGI really. Like in the american one they had to show the guy like being pulled into the wall as though it was evil, but they totally missed the point.

In the J version they just disapear to a black space, because its all about being alone, as though even some living are just ghosts fading into the background. It was a big metaphor thing, supposed to make us think...but americans had to make out as though there was some evil force trying to kill the living...

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Evil Dead

:D Good man!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:38 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Send a message via AIM to halloweenfreak1
Quote:
Originally posted by XtRaVa
(First of all no offense to anyone here thats american etc, I dont mean any..)

Americans think that they can take an asian horror, and make it much better by adding some special effects and CGI...we all know americans like things to be bigger and more fantastical.

Asian horror generally doesnt have amazing effects, but they dont need effects because they work on scaring the viewer psychologically, rather than with other the top effects. It often works a lot on what you dont see, and that is in actual fact a lot scarier most of the time.

These days asian horror is getting a lot wealthier, but I still never expect them to have the amount of effects hollywood studios use, because they dont NEED or WANT them in their movies to scare people, and to produce high quality horror.

Instead they use original (although often based on folk-law and ghost legends) and wonderfully creative stories to sell there movies instead. Coupled with characters you can actually sympathise with, backed up with actors who arent just in it for the money.

American movie companies are trying to cash in on these films by re-making them, simply because they cant create any original movies of their own.

They also realise that many of the movie go-ers would never of seen the original before, because lets face it they are usually ignorant to other cultures, or at least dont have the patience to experience anything other than what they are used to. In this case, with horror movies, another teen slasher flick, with lots of sex and gore.

I for one wish they would try and diversify without having to re-make movies which I am very fond of.
All very good points. I also agree with the whole special effects thing. Totally not scary. the greatest american scary movies didnt have that many holly wood effects(outside of NoES). But you can't say that J-Horror is original if most of them are about ghosts. Now im not a true fan as you say. I have probubly not seen half of the films you have. But the ones i saw didnt apeal to me(they sucked, no offence they just wernt all i hoped they would be).
Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Smack My Titties

Quote:
the japanse pulse is very slow by that is what makes it work
Pffft! If by slow you mean brain-numbing, pronderous tedium then I don't think it works at all.

Also, the CGI is very obvious and poor.

For once, I'm looking forward to a zippier, flashy American remake.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
Pffft! If by slow you mean brain-numbing, pronderous tedium then I don't think it works at all.

i can feel the love :D
Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3

Thats fair enough, but in that case you're just waiting for an american horror movie not a japanese horror movie. They've made it into a film where the dead are seemingly evil and all after the living, jumping out of washing machines and such.

The guy who fades into the black is taken against his will by something evil, when this wasnt the point of the original. In the original the people realise they are lonely, and no better than the dead, scared of their fate but willing to except that even in death they will be alone. Then they fade away to nothing. A big metaphor for all those people sitting alone at their pc's who arent better than the dead...alone with not much reason to live.

The american remake has made it as though everyones going to get taken away by an evil force and by monsterous ghosts running about etc. Thats fine if thats the sort of thing you want to see, but its actually quite far from what the original was trying to do. I agree it would be zippier etc, with a lot more obvious frights and jumps, but thats just classic hollywood horror.

I like american horrors for what they are, I also like japanese horrors for what they are. The mixing of the two never seems to work, and only lessens the two types of horror...In my opinion they shouldnt mix just to line movie companies pockets with money.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebiejeebies View Post
I see what you mean, and I agree that American horror should stand on its own two feet.
has every one forgotten all of the huge american horror movies? exorcist? halloween? ringing any bells?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Evil Dead

Exorcist in my opinion is over-rated, but still a good movie and a must watch before you die. Halloween is great because Michael Myers is such a legendary horror icon (hell I dressed up as him on halloween with my deluxe mask :D).

The point is american horror movies are usually slashers, and monsters. Asian horrors, especially J-Horror is usually based around ghost stories and freaky stuff like that (not a strict rule of thumb or anything for both nations horror productions, but generally speaking).

Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

but its the slasher films that americans have come to know and love, all of the legendary american horrors excluding the excorcist and hell raiser are slasher films.