Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokuc View Post
Which one do you guys think is most disturbing?
I've seen relatively few of the movies because many of the sickest movies are, by nature, low budget. Big companies won't finance unpalatable, politically incorrect productions that are often times only made for the purpose of shocking or making a name for a director or special effects company.Given that there is clearly no marketing budget, it's a miracle any of the movies that were produced pre-internet ever got watched.

That said, I did buy the autographed Snuff Edition of AUM and AUP from http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/index.php and only made it through 15 mins of one of them so, I'll say the August Underground series. I did just watch this trailer and felt fairly appalled afterwards http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6x...a-knife_webcam . I'd love to hear from one of the panel who compiled the list, and presumably watched most of the movies, what their top 5 were in terms of post cinematic revulsion disorder. I mean, if I said to you 'you have to make your 4 year old and your grandmother watch 99 of these movies, which would you leave out?'
3. suspiria
4. the exorcist
5. ringu
6. tcm
7. exorcist III
8. the omen
9. haute tension
10. creep

Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I have arms and legs.

Quote:
only made it through 15 mins of one of them so, I'll say the August Underground series.
Yep the same here, I have not watched many of these, but I did also watch around 15 mins or so on AUM.I have not seen anything in AUP, Too much for me :D
Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Whip In My Valise

I've seen somewhere betwee 30-35 of these films. Cannibal Holocaust and Men Behind The Sun crossed the line by having non-simulated animal killings; it's very difficult to overlook that.

Salo is really disturbing, but I would recommend that you read the original story penned by the Marquis De Sade to appreciate the sheer level of cruelty commited.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
I've seen somewhere betwee 30-35 of these films. Cannibal Holocaust and Men Behind The Sun crossed the line by having non-simulated animal killings; it's very difficult to overlook that.

Salo is really disturbing, but I would recommend that you read the original story penned by the Marquis De Sade to appreciate the sheer level of cruelty commited.
That's a lot of sick movies to have watched. Did you enjoy most of them?

I probably wouldn't watch/buy many of these movies without watching a trailer first or at least getting advice here.

This links into a discussion on the 'classic horror' section of the former, aren't most of these movies made purely for shock factor?

Excluding Cannibal Holocaust, Audition, Evil Dead, Henry, Last House on the Left there isn't much substance to the rest of it. Would you agree?
3. suspiria
4. the exorcist
5. ringu
6. tcm
7. exorcist III
8. the omen
9. haute tension
10. creep

Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Whip In My Valise

Let's see-

Films I enjoyed:

Suicide Club (a little artsy for my taste, but interesting)
Visitor Q
The Virgin Spring
Salo The 120 Days Of sodom
Saw III
Antichrist
Bad Taste
Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer
Dead Alive
Evil Dead
Deliverance
Ichi The Killer
A Clockwork Orange
Requiem For A Dream
Last House On The Left

Had their odd moments:

Guinea Pig Devil's Experiment
Philosophy Of A Knife
Cannibal Holocaust

Thumbs Down:

Guinea Pig Flowers Of Flesh And Blood
Men Behind The Sun
Evil Dead Trap
Cure
Stacy

I'm on the fence with the others.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Evil Dead

I really liked Cannibal Holocaust. I loved the underlying sense of anti-colonialism, anti-empire along with the hand held sections. A strong message, an innovative style and a shit load of gore!:cool:
3. suspiria
4. the exorcist
5. ringu
6. tcm
7. exorcist III
8. the omen
9. haute tension
10. creep

Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss tony View Post
I really liked Cannibal Holocaust. I loved the underlying sense of anti-colonialism, anti-empire along with the hand held sections. A strong message, an innovative style and a shit load of gore!:cool:
That and its hypocrisy - what it pretends to condemn is infact its biggest selling point.

I think this is what makes CH severed head and shoulders above the rest of the 3rd world cannibal genre.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Evil Dead

Yeah, it's way better than all the other cannibal movies (despite the fact it isn't the one with Stacy Keach in it). Not only is it the champ of that small genre, it's a 'proper' movie and would definitely make it into a lot of top horror 100s. Without it, there's no Blair Witch and ultimately no Cloverfield etc.
3. suspiria
4. the exorcist
5. ringu
6. tcm
7. exorcist III
8. the omen
9. haute tension
10. creep

Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
From The Beyond

Thank you very much for this list very impressive. I have seen 22 of these films. I have to say I agree with the person who said "Martyrs" should have been included. Despite all the films I've already seen THIS movie caused me to temporarily burnout and I could only get through about an hour of it. Its funny what classes as disturbing really is different for everyone. There are some films I cant watch on the list "Salo" being a good example. Also despite it being a supposed must see for horror films I can't watch "Cannibal Holocaust" because of the real animal cruelty already mentioned I just can't take that. Though I did get through "The Holy Mountain" which I suppose is more disturbing if you follow a faith or religion.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss tony View Post
That said, I did buy the autographed Snuff Edition of AUM and AUP from http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/index.php and only made it through 15 mins of one of them so, I'll say the August Underground series.
Mordum is probably the top for me. It was a very tough watch. Most any other film that I've seen on the main list here (I've seen 40 of them so far) there is a definite disconnect for me. I might feel repulsed, disturbed, etc, but I always "know" that it's just a movie. Very few of them have had any lasting impact and usually when they do, it's not about the violence, but some deeper message in the film. Mordum... I don't know. I know it's fake of course, but just the way it's done, the brutality of it all, it just feels quite real. It's the only film of it's type that I've seen so far that felt like a real glimpse into a serial killer's world. Mordum stuck with me for days afterward and not in a nice, contemplative way either.