Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 AM
For Vendetta

Ghost In The Shell - Live Action coming!

April 15, 2008

Dreamworks have picked up the rights from Production I.G. -- the animation studio behind the most recent Ghost in the Shell film and TV series - and are set to make the project a live-action 3-D film -- with a bit of help from Stephen Spielberg.

According to Variety, Universal and Sony were also chasing the rights, but the Jaws helmer -- and co-founder of Dreamworks -- personally encouraged the studio to force through the deal.

He explained "Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorite stories. It's a genre that has arrived, and we enthusiastically welcome it to DreamWorks."

At present there has been no word on any other involvement Spielberg will have with the film.

Avi Arad -- no stranger to comic adaptations having worked on the Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four films, as well as the forthcoming Iron Man and Incredible Hulk -- is on production duty.

Jamie Moss will pen the adaptation, with the crime thriller Street Kings his only major credit so far.

Originally created by Masamune Shirow back in 1989, the manga has been adapted into two anime TV series (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig), three films (Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society), videogames, books and more.

The futuristic cyberpunk series revolves around the half-machine/half-woman Motoko Kusanagi, a member of the covert ops agency Section 9, which focuses on crimes related to technology.

DreamWork's head of production Adam Goodman said this project "epitomizes 3-D live-action motion picture possibilities."
Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Evil Dead

Great. Yet another great film/series about to be utterly destroyed by Hollywood.

Let's see...

Spielberg? Check.
Anyone associated with Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four? Check.
Writer with only one film under his belt? Check.

Yep. I think they have everything in place. Nothing associated with this movie makes me think it has any chance of being remotely watchable by anyone who has seen any Ghost in the Shell and liked it. I get the feeling that it will be a fair bit like the Aeon Flux movie. Somewhat entertaining, but fundamentally so removed from the actual source material that it's almost painful to watch. But it will look pretty spanky and will definitely appeal to the summer blockbuster crowd who have never seen the original film/series.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by siorai View Post
Great. Yet another great film/series about to be utterly destroyed by Hollywood.

Let's see...

Spielberg? Check.

Yep. I think they have everything in place. Nothing associated with this movie makes me think it has any chance of being remotely watchable by anyone who has seen any Ghost in the Shell and liked it. I get the feeling that it will be a fair bit like the Aeon Flux movie. Somewhat entertaining, but fundamentally so removed from the actual source material that it's almost painful to watch. But it will look pretty spanky and will definitely appeal to the summer blockbuster crowd who have never seen the original film/series.
Yeah I agree, it will probably ruin the series. I'll wait on a trailer before I judge though.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
HDC Idol

I would love to shoot Stephen Spielberg in the face.

This is going to be terrible.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by siorai View Post

Let's see...

Spielberg? Check.

I really like this n00b.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 04-18-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Hellraiser

Send a message via AIM to Assertion
A certain part of me, being an obvious fan-boy of most cyber-punk genres, will force me to watch this no matter what I hear, but regardless to this aspect, i would like to probe at flaws. First, who has seen the movie and/or show, and what have they seen of possible pictures or plot to go behind the story.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Living Dead

Lol

DON'T FEAR THE REAPER
Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I really like this n00b.
Woohoo! :p
Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Fear scented candle

If speilberg is involved, you can be sure that the nudity will be absent, but the graphic violence will be there in spades.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Hellraiser

Send a message via AIM to Assertion
I hope not, the freedom of body is one of the main aspects in cyborg styled society. body parts are components, not raging boner activators (not that this stops people anyways) i would prefer to keep both the blood and the skin, that makes it what it is.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM
MELTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
If speilberg is involved, you can be sure that the nudity will be absent, but the graphic violence will be there in spades.
GIVEN THE CHOICE OF NUDITY
OR SOMEONE BEING HIT
YOU CAN CALL ME OLD FASHION
BUT I'LL TAKE THE TIT