Old 03-01-2019, 07:40 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
I dont have one but i dont think leaving it on all day in an empty house would bother me. Having said that, i always worried about whether or not it was safe to prepare food that way. If there was any bacteria that wasnt being killed off at such low heat or multiplying etc. I know they are used world-wide, day in/day out without any kind of issue.
Just a quick google search reads crock-pot low setting is 200', and traditionally chicken should have internal temp of 165' to be safe. Virtually all bacteria die at 148' within 14 secs. Some food science cooks say 160' unfolds proteins causing dryness, and is over cooking. But anyway, slow cooking in a crock kills it all.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-01-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 PM
That fucking Guy...

No issues from slow cooking, and I can confirm that there's no accumulative "frog in hot water" type effect. Yes, you are taking meats etc temporarily into the danger zone, but once past that, extinction occurs and you're safe again.
There's only problems if you stay on/serve/store at those temperatures.
Is there anything in particular you're planning on cooking?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:01 PM
That fucking Guy...

Just had this a little before.
One of my go-to light meals at a local cafe.
Soy and linseed toast.
The white bit is goats cheese.
I never use the butter. They always bring it though.
Didn't really need the crispy bacon (and oh was it crispy) but, I was a little tender after ripping my bumper off earlier today.
Could have used more avocado. I can never get enough of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52964836_571299593356581_7708476808869445632_n.jpg (28.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-02-2019, 05:42 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Just had this a little before.
One of my go-to light meals at a local cafe.
Soy and linseed toast.
The white bit is goats cheese.
I never use the butter. They always bring it though.
Didn't really need the crispy bacon (and oh was it crispy) but, I was a little tender after ripping my bumper off earlier today.
Could have used more avocado. I can never get enough of it.
Looks lovely. Do you have to ask for the dab of goats cheese or is it served with?
I would like to break down and get a crockpot. People seem well pleased with them. Probably for beef stews or pot roast etc. Not chicken.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:25 AM
ventricle

By the way i referenced chicken temp 165' because it's the highest temp of the meat to be safe. pork, beef require lesser temps.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:27 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
By the way i referenced chicken temp 165' because it's the highest temp of the meat to be safe. pork, beef require lesser temps.
I figured that but im so paranoid especially about chicken! Beef is probably the only thing i would cook in a crockpot. One year, i did a turkey for thanksgiving and about 4 relatives got quite ill after. Ive been roasting turkeys for over 30 years. I wash down my sinks and countertops with bleach and water after preparing it for the oven and swap out all my dishcloths. And it was cooked properly. I felt mortified after even though everyone said it probably wasnt even the turkey!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:52 PM
That fucking Guy...

The turkey thing might not have even been you. Improper storage/temps on the part of the transport companies and stores is a more likely offender.

You definitely wanna give lamb a go in the crockpot too.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:00 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
I figured that but im so paranoid especially about chicken! Beef is probably the only thing i would cook in a crockpot. One year, i did a turkey for thanksgiving and about 4 relatives got quite ill after. Ive been roasting turkeys for over 30 years. I wash down my sinks and countertops with bleach and water after preparing it for the oven and swap out all my dishcloths. And it was cooked properly. I felt mortified after even though everyone said it probably wasnt even the turkey!
More likely it was the veggie produce, lettuce, spinach, sprouts and tomatoes have been problems.

One bacteria issue I heard about with turkeys is putting the stuffing in the bird. Cheeb can correct me here... but I think it was that it's difficult to get the heat high enough on the turkey juice-contaminated stuffing inside the turkey cavity. If you do put stuffing in the bird, re-bake the stuffing separately to 165' internal temp.

Not many folks crock-pot chicken anyway. Not like there's poor cuts of chicken to soften in a crock-pot, like you do with beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
The turkey thing might not have even been you. Improper storage/temps on the part of the transport companies and stores is a more likely offender.

You definitely wanna give lamb a go in the crockpot too.
Are there best ways to cook lamb? I may have had it once.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-04-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:51 PM
This is a test

I never put stuffing in the turkey though my mom did. Seems gross to me but i do put in raw onion and celery and lemon which i just toss out after.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:15 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Are there best ways to cook lamb? I may have had it once
Depends on how you like it, though generally...

If it's a steak or fillet - high heat/grilling, sear on the outside, render the fat, leave the meat rare/pink.

If it's a roast, say a leg of lamb?
I'd roast on the bone - aiming to have the middle pink, exterior towars brown so you get the cook all the way through and a slice will have kind of a pink end and a more well done end with (ideally) a crispy skin.
I like stabbing down to the bone and shoving garlic slices and rosemary through it, make a rub with say salt, pepper, cumin, corriander seeds and oregano.
I love having a crispy surface and might finish off with a squeeze of lemon juice.
It's amazing hot, and fine cold for sandwiches.

Shanks and other smaller/tougher joints do amazingly well in the slow cooker, browned first, and immersed in say a curry or stock/wine/tomato based sauce, cooked 6-8 hours...in these cases I want it past pink, I want it "well done" and gliding off the bones. The gelatinous connective tissue breaks down and partially renders into the meat just does...something beautiful to the texture...

But yeah you can also dice it, kebab it, and bbq the hell out of it...a lot of people like it pink, and while I won't have it well done, medium is also just fine.

For all the "rare" purists there are, it's a versatile meat that can be served numerous ways and lengths of cooking.