Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Dead Whore

There is no reason whatsoever to remake The Crow. The idea behind the original comic is open enough that there can be any number of takes on it, set in any time and place. All you need is a good script and a few talented actors.

As far as the movies go...
The first is a classic
I actually liked the second as well. They went in a different direction (Other than using the girl from the first as a main character) Visually and musically it worked on it's own level.
The third was ok, but it wasn't original enough (Stole alot from Poppy Z Brite's crow novel)
The fourth with Furlong was just plain horrible. The characters were black-n-white and I found myself not caring at all about any of them
Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Scares Little Kids

“Whereas Proyas’ original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style,” Norrington explained.

I have no idea what that actually means. Is it going to be like that in the Dawn of the Dead remake, the extras at the end of the movie?

So strange. We will see. I like the Crow because I liked how lusciously gothic it was. This new sounds like its actually going to be something similar to the Punisher (the first one, not the second!), except that its the Crow.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
georgieHORRORSHOW

This is upsetting =\.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 PM
For Vendetta

Genre fans and Hot Topic enthusiasts will no doubt remember the news that Blade director Stephen Norrington had recently agreed to write and direct a potential reboot of the popular Crow franchise.

Until recently, it wasn't clear if Norrington's take would re-tell the story of Eric Draven, portrayed by Brandon Lee in the original film.

Mania reports that the film is now an "all new take on the mythology of resurrection and revenge" and is "very different from the original - a whole new story about a whole new character."

This supports Norrington's quote to Variety when the project was first announced, stating that his take would be a less stylized, more realistic take than Alex Proyas' highly visual and vastly more Gothic approach.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 AM
For Vendetta

It took 15 years, but Alex Proyas' adaptation of James O'Barr's comic is straight up dated. This afternoon io9 caught up with Ryan Kavanaugh, the man producing the remake being penned by Stephen Norrington.

In the original comic, a man brutally murdered comes back to life as an undead avenger of his and his fiancée's murder.

"It's not a remake it's literally a relaunch of the franchise," Producer Ryan Kavanaugh reveals to io9 during an interview for his forthcoming film Brothers.

He adds that the make-up will also be very different and uses Batman as a comparison.

"No, totally different... He'll have makeup, but it will be different. The best way to compare it is the first 'Batman' and 'Batman Begins'. In terms of their look and feel and character."

While the project has yet to be greenlit, things are progressing well.

"Yeah we're still tweaking it, but it's finished," he says of the script. "We're very excited about it. The Crow is definitely going to happen, we're just getting all the pieces together right now. It's not officially greenlit, but it's going to happen... I think in a couple months we could have the package together for sure."
Old 06-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Evil Dead

"The Crow" returns

The Crow Reboot Moving Forward
Source: MTV Splash Page
June 1, 2010

The screenplay for a new The Crow film is finished and production will begin this year, Producer Edward Pressman told MTV today.

The new film will, according to Pressman, be set in both a small Southwest town and a larger city. The action will move from the town to the city and back again.

Though a star is not currently attached, Pressman claims that an offer has gone out to "a major actor".

The new film will attempt to reboot the franchise with a number of alterations. One Pressman talks about is the nature of the actual Crow itself, describing it as "a creature... it's not just a bird. It's got a personality and a character. Not like Godzilla exactly, but it's very different [and has] a more active role in the story."

Originally a 1989 comic book miniseries by James O'Barr, the series spawned a number of graphic sequels, four feature films and a television series.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Cranky

Brilliant- The Crow is not exactly like Godzilla....

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Misanthrope

It would be interesting to see this rebooted but part of the originals appeal was the great soundtrack and the majority of recent films have terrible soundtracks.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 AM
For Vendetta

Ladies, look at a picture of The Crow.

Now look at Mark Wahlberg.

Now back at The Crow.

Now back at Wahlberg.

We won’t, however ask you to smell anything: just to ponder the idea that the producers behind Steven Norrington’s reboot of the gothic avenger character are apparently offering the lead role to Wahlberg.

This is one casting offer that definitely had our eyebrows doing the confused lift fandango. Nothing against Wahlberg himself – he’s proved his chops both dramatically and comedically – but he just doesn’t immediately spring to mind when you picture the haunted hero originally, and most memorably, brought to life on screen by the late Brandon Lee.

But perhaps that’s the big idea here. After all, producer Edward R Pressman has promised “a very different visual idea for the new film," which Norrington is planning to direct from the script that Nick Cave has been busy polishing up.

Other planned changes include beefing up the role of the Crow’s guide/sidekick bird, which was largely relegated to an atmospheric touch or totem in the original film.

While this news is still officially floating around as a rumour, we’re throwing it open to you: assuming you want a remake of The Crow, would Wahlberg be on your mind for the lead? And if not, who’s your pick?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:11 AM
For Vendetta

Stephen Norrington’s run of shoddy luck sitting in the director’s chair is continuing as Comics2Film reports that he’s pulled the eject cord on his planned remake of The Crow after some creative differences.

Just this week, we reported on the rumours of Mark Wahlberg being offered the role and when the site got in touch with Norrington to confirm or deny the move, he let slip that he’s off the project. "I don't know about that story but I can tell you I'm no longer involved with The Crow.”

So what’s the story?

It would seem that another actor – also a star – had become attached to the project, attracted by Norrington’s new vision for the film, which aims to take the story in a different visual and thematic direction from Alex Proyas’ 1994 original.

But despite the apparent meeting of minds, this unnamed performer then demanded that Norrington ditch the script he’d been developing with Nick Cave and start over with another writer.

"As I had gotten involved explicitly as a writer-director my exit was inevitable. I was bummed. I had developed a genuinely authentic take that respected the source material while moving beyond it, and Nick Cave came in and added more depth," Norrington says. "I think the fans would have been pleasantly surprised."

From the sound of it, Wahlberg isn’t the one who demanded the change and forced the director’s hand. "I will say I think Wahlberg could be cool if they take a gritty blue-collar approach," Norrington says of the rumour. "He's a truthful actor. I think he could really ground the supernatural stuff."