Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Little Boo

Saw Blair Witch last night and just hated it. I am a huge fan of the original, and this one showed a clear lack of understanding of what made that one work. Overblown, overlong, paper thin characters, a lot of flash with no substance.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:40 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
It does look fun. ty.
Well, if you're able to check it out, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Evil Dead

Blair Witch (2016)

"After discovering a video showing what he believes to be his sister's experiences in the demonic woods of the Blair Witch, James and a group of friends head to the forest in search of his lost sibling."

I certainly wasn't disappointed by this. It was had some great scares toward the end and was quite intense overall. The new twists made it more interesting and pretty crazy. I'm not understanding the negative reviews that this is getting. The complaints are really bizarre and sometimes contradictory. I honestly enjoyed this a lot. It's quite different from the original but also keeps the spirit of the original. Nothing is going to replaced The Blair Witch Project, but this was a very worthy follow-up.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:45 PM
病気の

The Good Neighbor, 2016. 7/10

Thumb resize.

Repo! The Genetic Opera, 2008. 7/10

Old 09-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
The Good Neighbor, 2016. 7/10

Thumb resize.

Repo! The Genetic Opera, 2008. 7/10

Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post

Blair Witch (2016)

"After discovering a video showing what he believes to be his sister's experiences in the demonic woods of the Blair Witch, James and a group of friends head to the forest in search of his lost sibling."

I certainly wasn't disappointed by this. It was had some great scares toward the end and was quite intense overall. The new twists made it more interesting and pretty crazy. I'm not understanding the negative reviews that this is getting. The complaints are really bizarre and sometimes contradictory. I honestly enjoyed this a lot. It's quite different from the original but also keeps the spirit of the original. Nothing is going to replaced The Blair Witch Project, but this was a very worthy follow-up.

Solid review! As you know I agree about the criticism. It seems misguided or personal in nature. The movie is a romp. It's a thrill ride.
My only complaint is..

MINI
XXXXXXXXXX SPOILER XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXX MINI SPOILER ALERT XXXXXXX

...that the new flick doesn't embellish the legend of Ellie Kedward/The Witch.
I appreciate that the filmmakers didn't turn the whole mythos upside down, but I would have liked them to take the legend a little further. Show us something significant or even just cool about the roots of the tale.
Other than that, I had a great time watching it and will be going back on Tuesday for another look. Glad you enjoyed it, horcrux!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Solid review! As you know I agree about the criticism. It seems misguided or personal in nature. The movie is a romp. It's a thrill ride.
My only complaint is..

MINI
XXXXXX MINI SPOILER ALERT XXXXXXX

...that the new flick doesn't embellish the legend of Ellie Kedward/The Witch.
I appreciate that the filmmakers didn't turn the whole mythos upside down, but I would have liked them to take the legend a little further. Show us something significant or even just cool about the roots of the tale.
Other than that, I had a great time watching it and will be going back on Tuesday for another look. Glad you enjoyed it, horcrux!

*****SPOILERS*****

Honestly, the more I think about the movie, the more I enjoyed it. The ONE TINY THING I was disappointed in was that we never saw the original trio. Of course, they were probably dead, but I was hoping maybe to see their bodies or something. What I loved was the time travel. Some thought it was cheesy, but I loved it. When Lane came back and said "we've been lost for 5 days," that really creeped me out. I was also scared shitless when Lane appeared in the house and had been there for months, possibly years, with his beard and dirt and everything.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Evil Dead

The Conjuring 2

Decent. I was engaged and the time passed quickly. The acting was decent. I liked how the director used the main sister. Scene choices and actor direction. At times the film was a bit too dark to see things happening. Might have the the television my parents have, I'm visiting for the weekend. Overall the acting was decent, but no one of particular note. Always a fan of british accents so that makes me happy. The use of the tight small spaces was done well too. I wasn't particularly moved emotionally, sometimes it was a bit cheesy. I think that's to be expected.

5.5/10

One thing that did bother me is

-------SPOILER FOR THE REAL LIFE EVENTS THE MOVIE IS BASED ON--------

The real events were proved to be false, all made up and colluded on by the family. I am ok with a film using a real life event, even proved false, to make a good film, but during the credits the 'actual' pictures and recordings used implies to the viewer it was real and there was hard proof the this events were real. Also the text used in the before and after of the film implied this as well.
I think the BBC 3 or 4 part version is also a good watch. More about the emotional connections with the characters than the demon and ghost involved.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
The Conjuring 2

Decent. I was engaged and the time passed quickly. The acting was decent. I liked how the director used the main sister. Scene choices and actor direction. At times the film was a bit too dark to see things happening. Might have the the television my parents have, I'm visiting for the weekend. Overall the acting was decent, but no one of particular note. Always a fan of british accents so that makes me happy. The use of the tight small spaces was done well too. I wasn't particularly moved emotionally, sometimes it was a bit cheesy. I think that's to be expected.

5.5/10

One thing that did bother me is

-------SPOILER FOR THE REAL LIFE EVENTS THE MOVIE IS BASED ON--------

The real events were proved to be false, all made up and colluded on by the family. I am ok with a film using a real life event, even proved false, to make a good film, but during the credits the 'actual' pictures and recordings used implies to the viewer it was real and there was hard proof the this events were real. Also the text used in the before and after of the film implied this as well.
I think the BBC 3 or 4 part version is also a good watch. More about the emotional connections with the characters than the demon and ghost involved.
Ghostwatch is a great adaptation of the Enfield haunting.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:25 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Jeruzalem

I thought this was a decent enough demonic invasion flick. The use of Google Glass to upgrade on the usual found footage trope definitely helped.
It does make you wonder why the holy land had not been used on a more regular basis for horror films, if ever a location was more apt I dont know it.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac

Tags
movie