Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Misanthrope

I'm not paying for digital copies of anything.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM
HDC Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I'm not paying for digital copies of anything.
I hear that, brotha. I've spent way to much time and money on my DVD collection. Seeing how big it has gotten over the years is the beauty of it. Fuckin' way cooler than some gay digital copy. I do like to stream Netflix on XboX though. It's why you pay the monthly fee.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Can you dig it ?

This reminds me of the time Coca-Cola decided to make "new" Coke LOL. You should never mess with your mainstay product. Not everyone has computers or use them for streaming (hell, many people aren't even computer literate enough to stream a video from their site), but most people have DVD players. Netflix pretty much squeezed Blockbuster out of the market and has a monopoly now. They should just stick with it, bring in more indie titles, and stream only out-of-print titles.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Cranky

Well, you can't ignore technological innovation. They should offer DVD rentals as long as there's a profitable market for them, while at the same time building up their online offerings. They're trying to force the issue too soon, IMO.

As I mentioned previously, the net neutrality battle is still not finished. When it's over with, your ISP may make it rediculously expensive to stream video from any source other than themselves. There is definitely a growing market for streaming video. There's a whole geeky class of up and comers who don't even own tvs- but they still want tv content- as long as it's available on the electronic device of their choice.

People who insist it's got to be one way or another are going to be left in the dust.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Banned

It is definitely the progression of things for Netflix to transition to exclusively streaming movies. I think this is the most environmentally sound and economically sound path for them to take. In order for them to make this transition they will have to convert thier inventory entirely to instant play, and they may have to address bandwith issues. I only use the instant streaming anyway... So does my mother and my grandmother. I might miss the occasional non-bill in the mailbox. but I prefer the instant availability of streaming video, as do most people of my generation not suffering from technology phobias.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinki View Post
It is definitely the progression of things for Netflix to transition to exclusively streaming movies. I think this is the most environmentally sound and economically sound path for them to take. In order for them to make this transition they will have to convert thier inventory entirely to instant play, and they may have to address bandwith issues. I only use the instant streaming anyway... So does my mother and my grandmother. I might miss the occasional non-bill in the mailbox. but I prefer the instant availability of streaming video, as do most people of my generation not suffering from technology phobias.
Or like me you have televisions in many different rooms of your house, not ALL of them have Netflix devices. If my wife wants to use the television in the livingroom and somebody else is using the gameroom tv or computer (or both) then I can take one of my three DVDs to another room. Right now it's even more rediculous of a concept, I know you're young and edgy and all techy and shit but guess what, MOST of Netflix's great films aren't even streamable right now. Sounds like you're just too cheap to pay for the DVD + streaming option to me...

Oh, and as far as digital distribution in general goes... I like to own things. If I lose my hard-drive, account information, computer, xbox hard-drive, xbl account... I have a hard copy. It also increases my options, with a hard copy I can sell it, trade it, loan it out, and more. Digital distribution is simply a way for the businesses to make more money because they don't have to produce anything.

Last edited by Despare; 01-25-2011 at 09:24 AM.