Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Evil Dead

Does This Piss You Off As Well

There is one thing that really pisses me off. I dont know why but it really does. Im curious to see if this bugs you as well. What I cannot stand is when you have a movie that is a Thriller and people say they did not like it because it did not scare them. For example Hostel or Saw. I HATE it when people say Hostel sucked it wasn't scary at all. That just really pisses me off. You want to say Grudge wasnt scary go for it but dont say a non-horror movie was not scary. I just wanted to share that to see if anyone else has the same pet peeve as me.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to SleezeQueen
Hostel DID suck I walked out of the theater twice I never even got to the gore parts :p but yes it pisses me off to. If it doesnt scare you who fucking cares? Its a movie enjoy it or dont. I really hate it when your in a theater and you can hear a group of idiots who ever "scary/thrilling" part say ohhhhh thats not scary
Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I really hate it when your in a theater and you can hear a group of idiots who ever "scary/thrilling" part say ohhhhh thats not scary
Oh ya man. When I saw Grudge 2 every scene that was supposed to be scary there was at least 2 teenage groups thinking they are bad ass and trying to be cool so they laugh at every scene. Basically like that with all the movies in theatres. You will always have that 1 group of fags who think they are just bad and cool so they be a dick the entire movie and laugh and talk during every scene.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to SleezeQueen
My latest encounter with that was the Grudge 2 as well.... Im a very quiet person but they pissed off so bad I even told them to sut the fuck up. Why are they even there if they are just going to bash it the whole time!? I bet the go home and wet the bed the losers :p
Old 11-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Tenant

Uh, no that doesn't piss me off.

Especially when Saw and Hostel both labeled themselves the "scariest" and "goriest" movies of all-time.

Maybe if someone said that about an actual, genuine thriller, it'd bug me a bit.
But Hostel and Saw were both intended to be straight horror.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Uh, no that doesn't piss me off.

Especially when Saw and Hostel both labeled themselves the "scariest" and "goriest" movies of all-time.

Maybe if someone said that about an actual, genuine thriller, it'd bug me a bit.
But Hostel and Saw were both intended to be straight horror.
I have to disagree with you. I dont label Hostel as a horror movie. Also "scariest" movie of all time and "goriest" movie of all time are 2 completely different things. When it came down to gore I think Saw 3 was up there. There were gory scenes. Hostel I was disappointed when it came down to gore. I dont classify Hostel or Saw as a Horror movie but that is just my aim on it.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to melaniepants
SAw 3 was pretty gory i thought
Old 11-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Banned

hard as hell for me to judge a movie by being scared .. havent been scared for years .. i've felt tension .. (magnolia did that) but not scared.

if a movie is about atmosphere and cinematography it can bug me when people try to critique it with that criteria.

its like complaining that schindlers list had no jokes.

i figure they just dont get it and are the kind of people more comfortable watching friday the 13th part 57.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Evil Dead

I think a good thriller ought to bring about more discomfort and tension than a "horror" movie anyways...personally if I don't find that watching one evokes feelings like this, I do tend to think it's crap.
Saw (1&2 at least) did make me feel "uncomfortable" in parts, the bone collector, high tension, judgement night, cape fear, silence of the lambs...etc...(there's more, but there's your examples), but yeah, if a thriller doesn't have an amount of atmospheric tension, or make you really contemplate, and/or feel for the victIms/characters, I don't really think it's done it's job.
Will I sit there and bitch about it during the film? No...but that's more about the kind of person I am pertaining to film etiquette in general, not just thrillers...if I am not satisfied with it, I will comment thereafter, sure...but then and there when I'm not gonna spoil a movie that may have been enjoyed by others standards.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:46 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

i just think that genres are mixed up....i have a comic with an advertisment on the back (tis a while ago) saying 'Wes Cravens New Thriller...Scream' well most people i know put that down as a horror....its all mixed up and i kinda like it that way.......but we do need genres cause you need to know what to expect when you go to the movies

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"