Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Spookshow

Which is scarier the woods or a house.

Ok so I just spent all day in the woods, getting mud on the tires and all over myself. But it got me thinking what do you guys think would be the scarier situation being trapped in a haunted house, castle, etc. or being lost in the woods at night with a killer or supernatural creature after you? We'll count cabins as a woods scenario instead of haunted house territory.

"Enjoy that dead girl's body."
Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Horror Fan

Depends, is Nick Saban in the house?;)

Not sure how a cabin counts as part of the woods instead of a house. Isn't a cabin a type of house.

I would much rather be in a haunted house than pursued by a supernatural force in the woods. A woods chase on foot is much more difficult to survive, IMO. At least in a house you are on firm footing. It has at least a semblance of order as opposed to the wilderness.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Spookshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Depends, is Nick Saban in the house?;)

Not sure how a cabin counts as part of the woods instead of a house. Isn't a cabin a type of house.

I would much rather be in a haunted house than pursued by a supernatural force in the woods. A woods chase on foot is much more difficult to survive, IMO. At least in a house you are on firm footing. It has at least a semblance of order as opposed to the wilderness.
If Nick Saban was in the house he'd be runnin from me, I'm an Auburn fan lol. I count cabin as in the woods because in most cabin in the woods movies the victims end up out of the cabin and being tormented in the woods like in Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Cabin in the Woods, etc.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Evil is Better

I've always found the woods to be a dark, magical, wonderful, terrifying place that seems to exist in a different universe then the rest of the world. I've always loved the woods for those reasons and it's for those reasons that i would find it scarier. A house is filled with the souls of the dead who are not at rest.

The woods are filled with so much more at least that's where my mind goes when i'm in the woods.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
ventricle

If the choice was haunted house with a ghost(s), or in the woods with a real live killer or creature after me, I'd take the house. If the killer/creature is in the house too, it'd depend on the house. I giant house, especially if I'm familiar with it, would be better, as there's doors to close and lock, places to hide, phones to call, impromptu weapons, etc. But a small one or two room place becomes more like a cage, where I'd rather have the space the woods provides, especially if the attacker is slower or winded.

General scarier environment? For me, I don't find either scary. It's all circumstance. In the woods you're so exposed, no home, can't move silently. In the house, so many hidden spots close to you.

Last edited by Sculpt; 09-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Undead

Good question. I guess it really depends on the situation. If it's a house in the suburbs, with lots of neighbors around (unless they're all aliens or bloodsucking mutants of some sort), then there's a general degree of safety and protection to be felt. But if it's some ranch house or farmhouse in the middle of BFE, that adds some discomfort and imagination.

The woods for me, though. Much as I love spending time in nature, it makes you really vulnerable. I got dragged to a few parties in the woods as a teenager, and I remember thinking that some mutated, unkillable dude could pop up out of nowhere with a machete and brutally murder all the underage drinkers and fornicators and no one would ever see it coming. Seemed likely and favorable to me.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankensteinsGirl View Post
If Nick Saban was in the house he'd be runnin from me, I'm an Auburn fan lol. I count cabin as in the woods because in most cabin in the woods movies the victims end up out of the cabin and being tormented in the woods like in Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Cabin in the Woods, etc.
War Eagle, my friend! AU Alum here.

I am probably more scared of a haunted house. Being in the woods at night is a foreign environment for modern man and is supposed to be scary.

A home is supposed to be our sanctuary. It's scarier, to me, for something horrible to happen when you don't expect it, or when you feel safe.

I feel more comfortable in a home, and thus it would be scarier to be uncomfortable there.

I guess that's what I'm trying to say.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Immortal horror fan

I would immediately say the woods. Just because. I also remember Agent Mulder saying once that you forget when you leave the city and you're in the woods that everything wants to get you. Even if you are familiar with the woods and open areas. They can be a scary place at night. And that's without some killer creature after you.

But I thought about a "haunted" house or other area. See a normal house would be fine. But haunted is another thing all together. The ghosts or whatever can play some major tricks on you. You might as well be in the woods. The house would be just as bad. I've been indoors and under the influence and it's scary. With a ghost who knows what could happen.

So I say they are equally scary.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
HDC Idol

So I agree with everyone that it depends on the situation, but I look at it from the angle of: Which environment would I have the best chance of escaping the Big Bad In? and my gut reaction is The Woods. It's all about where you can hide - You can be trapped in a house, but I feel like I would fare better in the woods in terms of places to hide and escape from and to.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Although I do agree that there are more places to hide in the woods, I also worry that they're easier to get lost/disorientated in and you're much more exposed. Much tougher to check your back in the woods than in a haunted house.

The Ferrets like it...