Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Contributors, Articles & Others > News, Reviews & Article Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Evil Dead

Post Masters of Horror: Imprint (DVD)

The controversial Takashi Miike episode finally comes to disc. [details]
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Ninja Pirate..Hiiiyamatey

I can't agree more. I am a true fan of Miike, but the whole hand thing was a bit...Jim Henson. The Hamburger Helper reference is dead on. As I watched this I kept thinking A. Why did Showtime ban it? and B. What did they expect when they turn Miike loose and tell him, meh, just give us an hour of your style? I've seen a few scenes on Masters of Horror that were questionable if they intend to make edits. The whole necrophiliac gang-bang scene in Haeckel's Tale springs to mind. But, then again, sex is acceptable in the states, far more so than abortion. That, I believe, is the main reason they refused to run this. The torture scene is excrutiating to watch, but they have aired the original, uncut rape scene from Last House on the Left on cable. Not often, granted, but I have to wonder when that is acceptable (almost 10 minutes of the most brutal rape scene on par with another aired scene from I Spit on your Grave), why was this not. The abortion angle has got to be it. I've seen tons of arguments on other sites regarding the same element in Three...Extremes Dumplings. I always wonder if people realize that abortion is not the issue anywhere else in the world (with the posible exceptions of Italy and other predominantly Catholic countries mainly in South America) that it is here in the US. It's state enforced in China where Dumplings hails from.

I thought it was a good film, Miike is always stunning to watch, but felt a bit let down mostly because of all of the hype and the bad acting by Drago. I can't deny the torture scene is horrific, though. Roth should have watched this before making Hostel.

Also, I'm new to the site and I just wanted to say Staci that I'm enjoying your reviews a great deal. They are very even handed. It's particularly nice to see someone that admits to not being a great Asian horror fan that still treats the genre with respect. It's a rare find and much appreciated.

Last edited by AsylumSeeker; 03-23-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add a compliment I forgot