Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 PM
That fucking Guy...

"There's a twist at the end"

"I liked the twist at the end, didn't see it coming"
"There was an interesting twist"
"You probably won't expect how things turn out"

...etc etc etc...

Am I the only one that's getting kind of sick of friends, family and associates alike simply having to drop this information when they talk about a movie they've seen? I actually told a friend to stop this recently.
Every time, this is his opening, and often only line on telling me about a film.

It's in all honesty, kind've an asshole-ish spoiler "loophole" for people that can't keep their mouth shut about a film but don't like to be criticised for doing so.

We all know a LOT of films have a 'twist' these days, probably an excuse for not being able to come up with a satisfactory resolution...but, I don't need it indicated whether or not there actually IS one.
I don't need to be told to "expect" a twist...because that really just does spoil the effect of the twist completely.
I'm a relatively perceptive person, and every time someone has advised me there's a twist in one variation or another, my radar has been activated and by the time the twist happens I've usually guessed what it is.
This can even happen when *nobody* tells me about it - so that being the case it near certainly happens when someone feels the need to point it out.

It's not a selling point to a film, if all a film has in it's perceived merit is a "mad twist at the end" and there's nothing more/better to say about it, maybe
a: Advise the person it's not worth seeing
b: Shut the fuck up, and provide information that will not destroy my movie-going experience.

It's a spoiler.
It might not spoil the plot, but it spoils the experience.
Even if not by the traditional definition, this should be considered a SPOILER.

If you do this, stop.
If you know anyone else who does, tell them to stop.

You know what it is?
It's a second-hand twist.
Like a second-hand condom, I could have otherwise have a great time using it, but giving it to me really does me no favours and would somewhat SPOIL the experience.

Join me in putting a stop to this problem.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Cranky

But where's the twist?

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Love is like dying

i dont like it when people tell me anything about the movie, i like to watch it for myself. so many movies have been ruined for me by people with big mouths.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Whip In My Valise

I wholeheartedly agree. This was one of the earliest threads I made because I felt so strongly about it:

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54895
Old 09-10-2011, 02:33 AM
sCaRyNeSs

Agreed.

I hate when ppl does that it's so fucking annoying!

SCREAMING OUT I'M A HORRORFAN 'TILL I DIE BITCHES
Old 09-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Evil is Better

I hate it when people do this. I have this one friend who always has to tell me if theres a twist and even sometimes tells me the ends of movies all because he doesnt mind knowing ahead of time himself. I've actually yelled at him about this. There are movies whose twists i've discovered beforehand due to someone and it made me not watch the movie. The point of a twist is to be surprised, so telling people that there is a twist ruins that.

I remember before i saw The Sixth Sense, they were actually advertising that there was a twist! Because of that i thought about it and was able to figure out before i even saw the movie! I still liked it but that definitely ruined it a little bit for me.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
"I liked the twist at the end, didn't see it coming"
"There was an interesting twist"
"You probably won't expect how things turn out"
I always love to do that...:p But don't like 'spoil' the fun of the twist by revealing it completely. I thought a film containing 'twisted ending' sometimes draws extra attention for some viewers. Now a days, if a film doesn't have any twist I even like to notify that too..."this is a good/bad or mediocre film and there's no twist at the end". :D

To only reveal that a film got a twist or shocking ending isn't a Spoiler info but what's that twist is all about is the major spoiler, IMO. Personally it doesn't bothers me to know about a film (that I haven't seen yet) got a twist ending or not. The thing that matters most for me as a viewer is that how they going to reveal it at the end. For example, Shutter Island (Oh! I'm again doing it here!:D). For any regular film viewer it's very easy to get the idea about the twist at a very early stage or beginning of that film. But that doesn't ruined the fun to watch & enjoy the whole film & I believe for most of the viewers who liked the film it didn't happened; they still love that movie while watching it till the end credit rolls.

My brother & I used to play a weird little fun game to others in our family & friends, it's called "Fake Spoilers"...for example for a Slasher film like Scream..."You know who's the killer? It was the Sheriff!" Though they initially got pretty much angry but later understood the fun of it.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

How about telling people 'You'll love the twist' when there isn't one?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Misanthrope

It's pretty hard these days to avoid spoilers. I think I only go into lesser known/independent flicks blind which is indeed a richer viewing experience.
I've been guilty of mentioning the twist but will be more mindful of using spoiler tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
My brother & I used to play a weird little fun game to others in our family & friends, it's called "Fake Spoilers"...for example for a Slasher film like Scream..."You know who's the killer? It was the Sheriff!" Though they initially got pretty much angry but later understood the fun of it.
Hahaha that's pretty funny.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Little Boo

I hate that with a passion! there's something else that also pisses me off...people who describe the first 80% of a movie they've seen to you in great detail. There's someone I know that spends 20-30 minutes explaining every little detail of the damn movie, and when I tell them to stop because I actually want to see said movie, they insist that they aren't going to spoil anything and they continue...goddamn, guns needs to be cheaper.