Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I don't think "scary" is the right descriptor for me when it comes to blood and gore movies. Disturbed is more like it. There's something about French horror films that really make me feel icky, Martyrs and Inside for instance, and Haute Tension before I watched it to death. The first Saw movie made me nervous. Funny Games made me feel slightly sick to my stomach. So I wouldn't say it's the gore alone in my case, but the idea of sadistic people actually existing. These movies are effective while I'm watching them, but don't leave me feeling scared. I'm not likely to be up all night, or afraid to walk through the house in the dark.

Supernatural movies scare the crap out of me. They have to be done well, of course, but I find them more effective. Asian horror is the best. They keep suspence throughout the film, and afterwards I can barely sleep. Old supernatural films are great aswell, like The Changeling.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
horrors are my thing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampiricClown View Post
Never read the book, have you?
Wait, THERES A BOOK?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

I am look for most raunchy,seediest,sleaziest,savage,blood,gut,whores ,maiming,carnage,in your face,gut punching,mutilations,and fucking sheer brutality in my horrors:):cool::D
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 AM
Banned

Blood and gore, baby! The problem is that I prefer non-human killers, and too often the gore is the handiwork of some schmo with an axe.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Scares Little Kids

Supernatural/Gore

Tension, suspension. Supernatural?
If you are making gore and violence filled movie, with really, really, REALLY bad story and with other poor elements. It may not work, like you intended to. It really depends and in my opinion, you have to be very talented director/actor/script- or story-writer to make anything work out. Still, these elements will always belong to horror genre.

Also. There is always "mindless" violence, played for fun. Like Bad Taste (1987) or even Braindead (1992) (which are "good" bad movies, mainly because of a talented director). And usually these are much about effects.
There are really good supernatural-themed movies out there (example. Insidious (2010) which was fantastic and even bit creepy, building tension etc.).
It adds mystery and suspension, using dark shadows, occult occasions and bit of haunting feeling down your stomach.

But in the end, I prefer slasher-flick over a ghost-flick. For entertainment purposes, of course.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Evil Dead

I thought I posted on this one but I guess I didn't.....

I like both. I have always been down with the gore. I think I really got into it when I started watching zombie movies and Blood Feast. They don't scare me, they're just very entertaining!

Supernatural is amazing if it's done right. I think that this type should have no slashers or gore because it does better without it. The Ring and The Grudge held the creepy affect without any gore.

I think it just depends on what kind of mood your in.......

Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Resident Bass Player

I like a lot of those comedic slaughter-the-teenagers splatterfest movies on Chiller TV, but though not quite horror movies - I really like the more true to life criminally insane types like Silence Of the Lambs, Wolf Creek or Zodiac.

I don't really care for the paranormal, ghosts, demons, zombies or cursed artifact types. I wish there were more (plausible) gruesome serial killer movies, and stories that could really happen.

I'm all in favor of the "based on actual events" types.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Evil Dead

Blood and gore is more for the shock value, but the supernatural is what's gonna keep you up at night.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:05 PM
病気の

Blood and gore most of the time.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Blood and gore is more for the shock value, but the supernatural is what's gonna keep you up at night.
I agree, but the blood and gore better lends itself to the medium of cinema. To see the carnage is more impactful than what the supernatural tale often depicts: people standing around talking about ghosts and waiting to glimpse them.