Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Mark Of The Beast (Omen Promotion) Causes Panic

'6/6/06' Sky Banner Sparks Concerned Calls

The mark of the beast -- sort of -- flying over the sands of Daytona Beach this week incited a wave of excitement: the fearful kind.

Florida - The most memorable moment of Terica Washington's 30th birthday Monday was looking into the sky and seeing an airplane towing a black banner with words written in white: "6/6/06 You have been warned".

She was alarmed enough to call the FBI.

"It made me feel really creepy, especially in this day and age," said Washington, who works at Ocean Walk Resort. Noting that June 6 is a Tuesday, she drew the connection to Sept. 11, 2001, also a Tuesday.

"I thought it might be terrorists," she said.

Emergency service agencies received several complaints about the banner. And the Volusia County Sheriff's Office investigated it -- and discovered Thursday the banner is promoting a new movie from Twentieth Century Fox. A remake of "The Omen" is scheduled to be released June 6.

Through a Fort Lauderdale promoter, the company producing the film released this statement, "This weekend, Twentieth Century Fox will introduce 'The Omen' to a whole new generation, telling spring breakers, You have been warned! from the sky. We're thrilled that the college students in Daytona have responded so enthusiastically to the sky banners."

The promoter was instructed to alert the local FOX affiliate, a News-Journal competitor, about the reaction.

Washington, when told the banner was a film promotion, said she thought it was "tasteless to do it that way."

"If it's a movie," she said, "at least I'll have peace of mind."

Wayne Mansfield is the owner of Aviad, who owns the four planes flying the banners in local skies and Panama City, South Padre Island, Texas, and Lake Havasu, Ariz. He's surprised his signs in the skies are creating such an uproar.

"Everywhere we are, people are jumping up and down," Mansfield said. ". . . Keep telling yourself, 'It's only a movie.' "

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be