Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Living Dead

Nope, I don't think I'll ever feel scared watching a movie again.
Since I was 5 horror has been a major part of my TV viewing ala Texas Chainsaw (original) I Spit On Your Grave, Cannibal Ferox, you get it..
So, no I don' t think I will ever be scared again, but I agree with the guy before me, I'm not 5 anymore..
But a little originality (no more American remakes of Asian films) and an unexpected fright here and there, then who knows??
Old 02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Evil Dead

I think it's like BloodRayne said awhile back, if you're over 15 and never been scared as a child of a horror film, you most likely won't ever be scared of them. On the other hand, if you WERE scared as a child, then yes, I can see where you would find movies that would scare the hell our of you.

Otherwise, no.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
What you're asking is if you'll ever regain your innocence, be restored to a childlike state in which you believe what you see on the screen. And the answer is, of course, no because Experience is the opposite of Innocence

Why do you think horror movies do so well with pre-teens and teens? They haven't seen it all yet. Many of them still live rather coddled and protected lives. Adulthood and the horror of the real world tends to dull our reaction to horror.

But we keep chasing that thrill. That's the fun of it all
I completely agree with you. I remember back when I was around 7-8 Edward Scissorhands and Neverending Story scared the living shit out of me. I actually had to get help from a counselor because I had night terrors from the two. Now I watch Edward Scissorhands and see it as great movie with some comedy. I guess I am just hoping one of these days a movie will come out that is "different" than what we see every time a horror movie comes out. Something so disturbing that it will leave you speechless and scared shitless. I think its possible to make it happen, but will it, I doubt it.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I remember back when I was around 7-8 Edward Scissorhands and Neverending Story scared the living shit out of me. I actually had to get help from a counselor because I had night terrors from the two.
OMG! Good thing you didn't watch anyhting a little more hardcore. You might have overdosed on Flintstones Vitamins or something. :p

AHAHA. I remeber seeing the original Nightmare on Elm Street very young. I also remember seing Aliens in theatres at the release (thanks Dad!) at the ripe old age of 9 or 10. I won't say that that shit didn't make me piss my pants...but counseling? :eek:
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
No charge for awesomeness

I don't think a movie can really be scary. They are artistic works designed to entertain us and that's just how I view them.

You want to something that's actually scary, just turn on the news each night. There's so much real life shit going on in the world that it's hard for me to imagine ever being scared of horror movie.

Car accidents, having a gun shoved in your face, getting arrested... That sort of shit is scary, not zombies or vampires. People on the opposite side of the world that want to kill you for no logical reason, global warming, the US political system, North Korea with nuclear weapons... That shit is scary, not ghosts or monsters.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:18 AM
Eye Catching

I have been thinking the same thing recently. Films are just not scarying me anymore, however when I think about it even as a child I was not easily scared.

I think perhapes a film might be released that will go beyond and really scare everyone but for that to happen we need to find new ideas and get past this remake stage. Also everyone is different and reacts to films, situations and life differently, so there will always be people who will not be effected.

As for the paranormal stuff I think there is a lot more to fear from the living.

Films that perhapes made me a little frightened or at least made me panic are not horror:
American History X,
The Day After Tomorrow,
Two examples that I can think off at the minute.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Eye Catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
I don't think a movie can really be scary. They are artistic works designed to entertain us and that's just how I view them.

You want to something that's actually scary, just turn on the news each night. There's so much real life shit going on in the world that it's hard for me to imagine ever being scared of horror movie.

Car accidents, having a gun shoved in your face, getting arrested... That sort of shit is scary, not zombies or vampires. People on the opposite side of the world that want to kill you for no logical reason, global warming, the US political system, North Korea with nuclear weapons... That shit is scary, not ghosts or monsters.
Do we perhapes try and find something more scary than real life so that things dont look just as bad? Do we maybe hope that there is something out there that is more evil than mankind?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Do we perhapes try and find something more scary than real life so that things dont look just as bad? Do we maybe hope that there is something out there that is more evil than mankind?
I feel that going to a horror movie (in the theater) and allowing ourselves to experience "horror" in a safe environment is tremendously cathartic. If you really surrender to a movie (I still get chills at a good one) and let it affect you, then you can purge a certain level of anxiety created by real world nightmares.

I find that people who dig horror tend to be more relaxed and generally happier than those who don't - those who don't have a release for the terrors of daily life.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
For Vendetta

It all depends on what impression the movie has left on the thought processes when we were kids. Goes the same for the kids today who would watch an intensely horrific (or gorific) movie and claim that it was the scariest they ever saw.

For e.g., a kid today would watch something like Ju On or The Ring (jap versions of course) and the impression it would leave on him is that he never saw a more scarier movie.

Same goes for us adults who watched some intense atmospheric horror movie when we ourselves were kids, and they left an impression upon our minds. Then comes the comparison part when the unconscious mind keeps comparing other horror movies viewed, as we grow on, and we feel that they dont surpass the one which impressed us in our pre-teen years.

Another angle to that point is...how many of us have seen the original Evil Dead recently? or the Exorcist? Have you noticed that the makeup and effects look dated? And the gore doesnt look as scary as it did 20 years back when we all first watched it...But still, since it left its impression upon our minds, we still like watching it. But admit it, you dont feel that scared anymore...

A kid growing up in the 50s would be really scared of something like The Blob, growing up in the 60s would mean something like Night of the Living Dead, 70s would mean Alien or Shining or Exorcist et al, 80s would include The Thing or the Evil Dead movies...its different for different generations who grew up watching movies which had a scary effect on them when their brains were still in the developing stage.

Its all in the psyche, IMO. There can never be any movie which would be so scary that it would leave people shitless. For the simple reason that its just a movie, nothing less, nothing more. And because, we grow out of the scares of the teen years when real life's everyday hassles hit us.

(Btw, on a more lighter note, have you watched Shyamalan's The Village? If not, then go watch it. A more scarier movie than that was never made!!:eek: )
Old 03-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Undead

i watched blair whitch prodject when i was 10 a day before i went camping in the woods. i brought my pen knife on that trip and never wore the same underwear again.