Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Little Boo

Music in horror movies

There are so many little things I don't like in horror movies but this is one that's really starting to annoy me.

It's the music. I like creepy music and I want music in (most) of the horror movies but I hope I'm not just speaking for myself when I say the music direction in these pictures is just awful.

A few of the worst examples are "Get Out", "The hole in the ground" and "Hereditary".

It's not that I wouldn't listen to this music if it was on a CD, it's not the composer I'm slamming, it's the (music) Director.

Using ominous music too often kills the atmosphere. All you're doing is telegraphing to the audience "something bad is going to happen". It's a heads up so I feel safer, not more creeped out. It's like the horror equivalent of a laugh track, let me make up my mind about what I'm seeing, show don't tell.

When there is nothing apparently scary happening THEN maybe have the creepy music and I'm like "what's happening? Should I be worried?" But if something already uncanny is happening then it's redundant. It's trying too hard.

Again, I don't want to end music in these movies but I think more directors should consider the strategic use of silence or just natural ambience. And I think we've had enough of that generic use of low strings.

But at least it's better than those brass heavy scores from the '50s. Talk about on the nose, as much as I love these retro movies.

On a similar note: heavy metal should not be mentioned in horror.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:38 AM
This is a test

I love some of the music. The theme from Jaws, The Exorcist, Fright Night, Halloween etc. But, yeah, sometimes I find myself distracted by creepy music sound effects.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Scares Little Kids

By the way, sometimes I even listen to this kind of music when I drive in a car