Old 03-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Talkin' horror. #JOIN

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

So, who else considers this one a classic? Sorry if this has been posted/asked a million times. But when I think horror movies, this is the movie that pops into mind.

The sister and I marathoned the Nightmare movies back in the 90s when I was just a wee lad, and the first movie along with New Nightmare always stood out as visceral films made a decade apart. I loved the creepy nature of the first Nightmare, but the way New Nightmare took the "real world" approach and upended so many horror tropes all while redefining Freddy Kreuger as a horror villain is real underrated in my opinion.

What do the folks here think? Fans of New Nightmare or do yall feel like it doesn't fit the rest of the series?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:19 PM
ventricle

A New Nightmare is on my ToSee list. Until someone told me how it was different, I had no interest in seeing it, as I wasn't interested in seeing another formulaic Freddy sequel.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:18 AM
That fucking Guy...

Sculpt...it kind of does what "Jason goes to Hell" did in terms of introducing a new angle. Its not a personal favourite of mine, but it's decent, and it *did* take the series back in a slightly more sinister direction.
I also quite liked the redesign on the character/wardrobe too.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:27 AM
Talkin' horror. #JOIN

Yah I loved Freddy's updated look in New Nightmare, it's my preferred version of the character for sure.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:36 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Sculpt...it kind of does what "Jason goes to Hell" did in terms of introducing a new angle. Its not a personal favourite of mine, but it's decent, and it *did* take the series back in a slightly more sinister direction.
I also quite liked the redesign on the character/wardrobe too.
Yeah, it sounds more adult. I had it in my Netflix que for a long time, but Netflix dropped it. I'll find a new source.

The original was so organic and dreamlike. Part two was, basically, hackjob. Dream Warriors was adventurous, but I was pretty much done there.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Talkin' horror. #JOIN

Decided tonight that one of our Halloween episodes for October is going to be a Nightmare on Elm Street retrospective. We're going to cover all the main series, New Nightmare, Freddy vs. Jason & the 2010 reboot. Will most likely end up being a two-parter.

I personally can't wait to revisit even the schlocky ones. Fond memories of being a kid and marathoning the entire series with my older sister, a movie per night, and a cartoon before bed to make sure Freddy didn't come for me in MY dreams. New Nightmare was the newest Freddy movie when we finished the marathon. Glorious times, I tell ya.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:07 AM
Evil Dead

I like the idea that this movie came to Craven's mind because the cast and crew were having nightmares about Krueger for real. :) That's what he said anyway...