Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
fear of death

and youre all horny bastards

Old 04-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Well I know that when it comes to me personally horror has never scared me and yet it's my favorite genre. I think I like it because it's like a fantasy. I just like the idea of a world where things like zombies, ghosts, and demons exists.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:45 AM
Evil Dead

I like horror because that is the first emotion to exist. The true us.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:55 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

But seriously, I'm not afraid of horror movies because I have always known that they were not real even as a kid. I'm more afraid of the real dangers in life like getting robbed or murdered by criminals, coming down with a life-threatening illness, a bad storm destroying my house, nuclear war.... I think you guys understand what I mean.

To me horror movies with evil monsters trying to kill people is just a fantasy. Also I guess I like the survival aspect of horror movies and seeing who is smart enough (or lucky enough) to stay alive at the end of the movie.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Horror Fan

Strong identification with the antagonists...er, protagonists...wait...

Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Strong identification with the antagonists...er, protagonists...wait...
I have a fondness for both as a lot of GOOD horror movies show us that the humans are actually bigger monsters than the monsters themselves.

Also I have respect for the leading ladies in modern horror movies because they are usually the ones who defeat the monsters and stay alive in the end. Doesn't it feel like modern horror movies actually have tougher female characters than most action movies? 🤔
Old 04-20-2018, 06:42 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
But seriously, I'm not afraid of horror movies because I have always known that they were not real even as a kid. I'm more afraid of the real dangers in life like getting robbed or murdered by criminals, coming down with a life-threatening illness, a bad storm destroying my house, nuclear war.... I think you guys understand what I mean.

To me horror movies with evil monsters trying to kill people is just a fantasy. Also I guess I like the survival aspect of horror movies and seeing who is smart enough (or lucky enough) to stay alive at the end of the movie.
You should be afraid that you are incapable of suspending your disbelief. And if you are not watching them to be scared then you must be watching them because you like to see folk die.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
You should be afraid that you are incapable of suspending your disbelief. And if you are not watching them to be scared then you must be watching them because you like to see folk die.
You misunderstand me, I like watching them because I like monsters and because I like seeing how the survivor or survivors make it to the end (if there are any survivors). But mostly I just like the monsters and I think that the make-up and special effects that they use on them can be like works of art.

Just because I'm smart enough to realize that horror movies aren't real even though I still enjoy them doesn't mean that there is something wrong with me.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 04-20-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: To add more to my point.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:27 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Don't you think basically everyone, who gets a scary thrill from a horror movie, knows it's not real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
LOL! I got to read more of you posts, you're funny!

Quote:
You misunderstand me, I like watching them because I like monsters and because I like seeing how the survivor or survivors make it to the end (if there are any survivors). But mostly I just like the monsters and I think that the make-up and special effects that they use on them can be like works of art.

Just because I'm smart enough to realize that horror movies aren't real even though I still enjoy them doesn't mean that there is something wrong with me.
I think Fudge is nudging ya, Luv. Although, if you look a little deeper in what he said, any horror fan could dig deep and say, "hmm..."

There's a huge range of types and level of feeling fear... whether horror or suspense... it's not like it's ON or it's OFF.

Thrillers are suspenseful... there's an uneasy feeling about what you don't know, some confusion, some curiosity, some danger for the characters, some embarrassment, some anger. That's what Fudge is talking about... 'suspension of disbelief': you're able to identify with the main character, join them in the story, empathize with them. If you can't do that, if you feel no fear for them whatsoever... hmm... maybe you're missing something.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Red face

Ah Ok, now I understand. 😊 Yeah I can really feel for the characters in a horror movie and sometimes I like to put myself in their shoes and think about how I would act in that same situation. Also thrillers with a good plot twist are awesome like in Carnival of Souls for example.