Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Evil Dead

Working on The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman and Cerebus Vol. 3: Church and State 1 right now. Both are good, though in very different ways. Don't know if the Goodman is going to stay good. It's a first novel and rough in places.

Sam

New horror comics each month | Vols. 1 & 2 on sale now - just $15 each.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:27 PM
TWILIGHTEYES

Book Im Reading Now

Im Rereading A Brian Lumley Book Called Deadspeak. Its About Vampires And The Man Who Hunts Them Its Good
Old 11-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Your funeral... my trial

I just finished reading this year's Best New Horror, and I'd like to mention that "Haeckel's Tale" is probably the best thing that Clive Barker's written in fifteen years.

Up next: Dark Delicacies.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Evil Puppy

Been reading short stories as of late. Read one from Storie of Terror and Madness From the Borderlands called N0072-JK1 by Adam Corbin Fusco. I love how dark and clinical it was, moved along at a brisk pace too. The little intro describes it as, "Study of Synaptic Response of the Organism to Spontaneous Stimulation of Vulnerability Zones. Photographic Analysis.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:02 AM
Evil Dead

Just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Now I'm reading Brimstone by Preston and Child. Looking forward to Dean Koontz's new book coming out this week.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Banned

finished Gaiman's American Gods ... not a bad book..

now reading Richard E Grants - With Nails ..

great fucking book !!! this is the format i wish all movie stars would write - instead of their usual bios.

Grant writes it diary form - exclusively talking about his involvement in films - film by film (starting with Withnail and I)

great reading !
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 AM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok View Post
finished Gaiman's American Gods ... not a bad book..

now reading Richard E Grants - With Nails ..

great fucking book !!! this is the format i wish all movie stars would write - instead of their usual bios.

Grant writes it diary form - exclusively talking about his involvement in films - film by film (starting with Withnail and I)

great reading !
i was totally disappointed in american gods - i really felt it had a great premise but couldn't muster anything to pull it off. reinforced my general feeling that gaiman is way overrated.

but, if you liked that, and want a slightly more 'literary' take on the same general theme - check out The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break (or something close to that) - i liked this one but was a little underwhelmed by the ending.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
i was totally disappointed in american gods - i really felt it had a great premise but couldn't muster anything to pull it off. reinforced my general feeling that gaiman is way overrated.

but, if you liked that, and want a slightly more 'literary' take on the same general theme - check out The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break (or something close to that) - i liked this one but was a little underwhelmed by the ending.

thing is - i'm not a horror fiction reader but i've heard a lot about gaiman.
i read (stardust?) then ananci boys, then american gods.

i have good omens and neverland around somewhere - havent read them yet.

he reminds me of a lighter younger clive barker.

i'm not a big fan .. but the book kept me reading to the end..
Old 11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Evil Dead

I started Micheal Slade's Special X series at the beginning of summer, thus far I have read:
Headhunter
Ghoul
Cutthroat
Ripper
Primal Scream
Evil Eye
Burnt Bones

and right now I am halfway through Hangman.

The writing in this series is really up and down as the pen name starts off as three dudes and then they start to drop off, until the last few books of the series are one of the original dudes and his daughter writing tandem. The cool thing about them is that they are all based out of vancouver (where i live).
I would reccomend the first two to fans of splatter-pulp, as the gore is really well laid out, although it comes off kinda like a police report in certain parts. The ones after the first two are still bloody, but tend to be more reasearch driven (hence long bibliographies at the end) and kinda lose their spooky edge.
I would highly reccomend them all to anyone who lives or has lived/knows alot about Vancouver, as all the murders take place in easily recognizable landmarks (mostly).

I have
Death's Door
Bed of Nails
Swastika
left to read. Hopefully I can finish them sooner than later, I was hoping to be done by the time Kamikaze was in paperback, but i think that may have happened earlier this month.

Here's dudes webby if anyone is interested:

http://specialx.net/

And I just saw that they are making a movie out of Headhunter (the first novel in the series)!!! SWEET!!!

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2931

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3SSUR3 View Post
We need something to masturbate to, often in time to the knife incisions. The "money shot" - such as final decapitation, extreme blood spurting etc - often coincides with orgasm.
Muh shit.

Last edited by Spec7ral; 11-26-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Hellraiser

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward - Lovecraft. Very good so far, after the total letdown of In The Mountains of Madness.