Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Cranky

Death Bell

Set in a school among a class of "elite students" that are being killed off one by one in various grisly methods, for some unknown reason.

This is the first Asian film I've watched that didn't thoroughly enthrall me. I found it to be rather mundane, though it was well acted and directed,. It just didn't capture my imagination. It didn't have the layers of subtext I'm used to discovering in Asian cinema.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Death Bell

Set in a school among a class of "elite students" that are being killed off one by one in various grisly methods, for some unknown reason.

This is the first Asian film I've watched that didn't thoroughly enthrall me. I found it to be rather mundane, though it was well acted and directed,. It just didn't capture my imagination. It didn't have the layers of subtext I'm used to discovering in Asian cinema.
Oh, that's just a decent slasher with some SAW flavor.

You should check out the following...I'm not assuring completely but at least some of them will give you some good hour of entertainment as well as 'something' to think about:

• Cold Fish
  • The Chaser
  • I saw the devil
  • Our Town
  • Revenge: A Love story
  • The Unjust
  • Princess Aurora

The interesting thing is you may see a trend in the recent Asian movies...particularly in Korean films: the rising genre of Serial Killer films. Few months back I tried to do some online research to find out why there are so many movies about serial killer are coming now from Asia...(particularly Korea) today? We only know about 2 films that inspired by real life serial killer cases (Memories of Murder & The Chaser) but what's the actual reasons for the film makers that's inspiring them to go with this genre more often? Is there really any social context or scenario of serial killers in Korea that made some sort of affects on cinema??

At first I couldn't find any single article about this particular topic. But I even tried to make a contact (via e-mail & facebook) with Dr. Colette Balmain, who is a Senior Lecturer in Film Studies at Buckinghamshire New University, UK and the author of An Introduction to Japanese Horror Film (I wish I could buy it). But I guess she didn't feel comfortable to discuss or spoil the subject matter as she is currently writing her second book which is a history of Korean horror film under the working title..."South Korean Horror Cinema: history, memory and Identity (Fisher Imprints: 2012)".

Anyway, then I visited some Asian online forums where people mostly like to discuss about Asian cinema (particularly Japanese, Korean, Chinese & Thai movies) and I raised this question there. In only one forum there are some nice fellas who finally gave me some ideas.

Last edited by roshiq; 09-30-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Cranky

Roshiq the detective!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Scares Little Kids

I just saw Shutter and Dark Water recently, but most noteworthy I saw the lesser known Occult [The Unidentified] (2009).

It was pretty good, with one major concern that I perhaps spend too much time rehashing here.

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-27-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: No spamming
Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
From The Beyond

Just saw Shikoku-it had a great story but itis score was a bit too uneven and the production was a little heavy handed but worth watching
Old 09-30-2011, 11:26 AM
HDC Idol

Interesting discussion, Roshiq - Interesting thoughts on the Far East Films discussion board as well.

Dream Home (2010): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1407972/

meh - There are so many positive reviews on this on Netflix that it leads me to believe that there are people on here who would really like this movie... Roshiq - this may be something that you'd want to check out.

For me, though, I'm not sure if I was in the mood or what, but it didn't really do anything for me - I was bored really by the story.

On the plus side, it had some of the most grizzly and inventive murder scenes that I've seen in a while.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Yup..I have seen Dream Home and you're right, I really loved it.:)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Got Milk?

Last Asian film I saw was Cello. Not great. For all your cello related film needs, I'd recommend Strange Circus instead!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Angel Dust (1994)

>>: B-

Empire of Passion (1978)

>>: B+
Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Child's Eye (2010)

A very lame film from Pang Brothers (The Eye, Re-Cycle).

>>: C-