Old 06-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Scares Little Kids

The Horror taboo

I have always thought there is a taboo in horror. That you dont kill or hurt children. there are some films that break this. But it is one thing that does not happen too much. It is a very unplesent thing to see in a film and not something you would want to see.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Whip In My Valise

Then you probably shouldn't watch Who Can Kill A Child.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I hate when ducks are murdered on screen - it just really gets to me.

I was very pleased when that infamous Fulci film had no avian torture in it at all.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Whip In My Valise

I've said this before, but non-simulated animal killings in horror movies are unforgivable.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 AM
For Vendetta

ROFL @ Ferox...

A viewing of Salo...or even the climax of The Mist.

Ketchum's The Girl Next Door.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 AM
DIGITALLY REMASTERED

Children have been killed in films since the silient era of the cinema, all the greats have done it, Karl Freud, James Whale, Fritz Lang, it would be very hard to name a director who has not killed off children, Disney included.:eek:
Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Living Dead

in films its just acting and make believe,but it does happen in real life im afraid!m.s.p has a few,but again it aint real.i enjoyed this film but didnt like the baby and mother scene as a baby that young cant act and apparently the mother in that scene was its real life mother!not good!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Flick It!

Send a message via Yahoo to Rook
I think you're right that they dont show children getting killed. But it actually seems the theme in alot of horror movies as of late to make a child (that was hurt or killed) the antogonist...The Ring, Stir of Echos, The Grudge, ( all of which I think are good movies) Original and remake of the Night of the Living Dead (girl in the cellar), Dawn of the Dead Remake (kills the protagonists BF), Actually just gonna stop naming zombie movies all together. Dead children are a mainstay in the genre...Then you got the Omen, the Good Son (more suspense/thriller but still makes the point). But I'll give ya this. its rare that they actually show it happening.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Whip In My Valise

The more I think about it, the more I realize how common it is to have a child killed off in a horror movie. It doesn't bother me for the most part (it is fake after all), and I think the previous poster was right when he said that you don't see a detailed gory killing of a child the way you would an adult.

One of the most disturbing things I've ever seen involving a child wasn't a horror movie; it was that old Sally Field TV movie 'Sybil'. Trust me, you DON'T want to see what happens to Sybil as a little girl.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
The more I think about it, the more I realize how common it is to have a child killed off in a horror movie. It doesn't bother me for the most part (it is fake after all), and I think the previous poster was right when he said that you don't see a detailed gory killing of a child the way you would an adult.

One of the most disturbing things I've ever seen involving a child wasn't a horror movie; it was that old Sally Field TV movie 'Sybil'. Trust me, you DON'T want to see what happens to Sybil as a little girl.
Yes, Sybil stayed in my mind for a long time after I watched it. It was more horrible, because it was a true, if slightly elaborated. But these vile, evil and completely fucked up mothers do exist. Every day I work with people who have been abused and yes- women who do this to their cildren do exist. What makes it a more difficult pill to swallow is the fact that these things are done not only bu women, but to their own children which is the biggest taboo. I once nursed a 'real life sybil' who suffered things that we as a team found unbelievable to nurse. And this was in a middle class, well to do family-not backwoods scum of the earth.
Sometimes art immitates fact!