Old 04-27-2019, 05:46 PM
That fucking Guy...

Does anyone remember...

I'm wondering if people remember this project that was being talked about for quite a while...but has long stopped being mentioned...

Back in the day, when Buffy/Angel were at the height of their popularity the idea for a spin-off was announced.

This show would focus on a younger Giles when he wore the name "Ripper" as referenced a few times in Buffy, and that was one of the names being thrown around for the show too.

It would take place at various times in Giles' history, from his recruitment into the Watchers organisation and beyond - and would have a lot of shady characters both inside and outside of the organisation.

They talked about it a fair few times, and it still came up some 3-4 years after Angel had it's last episode - though I'm pretty sure it's completely abandoned now...who knows...there's always netflix for stuff like this.

It's too bad...I figured it would have been a good way to expand on the universe and give some different perspective on some of the other side characters and villains.
...pretty unlikely though...I mean Whedon won't even let people that WANT to make Firefly again pay to take it off his hands, so I have almost zero hope of this happening.

It's too bad, because it's genuinely something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Anyone else remember this?
Anyone know what actually happened to it?
Old 04-28-2019, 04:54 AM
Evil is Better

I remember them talking about it and i was interested to see it. Giles was one character that they could've made a really cool prequel show that might have even been better then Angel. I doubt it will happen now though, its been far too long since both shows ended and after the whole Age of Ultron thing, i think Joss Whedons a little broken and like you said, hes not in the habit of selling his intellectual property.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:45 AM
That fucking Guy...

Perhaps the Buffy reboot might kind of allow for it.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:31 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Perhaps the Buffy reboot might kind of allow for it.
I had forgotten all about that. I guess it would depend on how the show does and how they did his character

Old 04-28-2019, 07:28 PM
That fucking Guy...

True.
It's too bad they didn't make a thing of it when those shows were roaringly successful, they probably missed out on their best opening to make a go of it.

Yeah not sure how I feel about the reboot...I mean if 90210 and Charmed are anything to go by...I doubt I'll end up watching, but if they manage to get some interesting stuff going on (like say crazyhead did) then I'd definitely be checking it out. I'd also love it if they somehow linked FRAY in like they did with the comics...though that being a Whedon thing too, that's doubtful.