Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Hellraiser

I have to say I wasn't that sure about it before I watched it but I got so engrossed in it I didn't even notice how long it was. It's definately up there now with my all time favourites - I'll have to watch the remake now though just for comparison sake if nothing else.

Why aren't there more films like this?:(
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnieMiller
Why aren't there more films like this?:(
I know what you mean... I watched this movie a few weeks ago, for the first time in a long while (a few years) and enjoyed it so much that I replayed it straight away to listen to the director's commentary.

Have you seen Suspiria? Totally different movie I know, but another film that has that elusive atmosphere that transcends the subject matter. Masterful.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Quote:
Originally posted by Posher778
Equilibrium

6.5/10 Mixed thoughts.
Is one of them that this film is tremendously over-rated for a second rate Matrix rip off?

Dawn of the Dead is simply spectacular. Along with Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it is one of the two best horror films of the 70s.

The remake was pretty good as well, but it can't come close to the artisticness of the original. Lots of good gore and it's well acted though.

Suspiria seemed like Argento was trying too hard to be visceral and atmospheric. It seemed forced. Other than that, it was a pretty good movie, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the original Dawn of the Dead's league.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Hellraiser

That's what I'm talking about - Texas Chainsaw Massacre and now Dawn of the Dead - there just doesn't seem to be films made to the same standard. Now they seem to rely far too heavily on special effects (which don't get me wrong when used well can help create an amazing film) but the special effects seem to be used in place of plot and characters. What's going on, is it just easier for the directors to take an insubstantial plotline and rubbish acting and hope that the special effects cover the multitude of sins - because they don't. Anyway rant over.

As for Suspiria - no haven't seen it will put it on my "to watch list" which is getting far too long!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:57 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

The original Dawn of the Dead...it's hard to describe how much I enjoyed it when I first watched it. I was completely glued to the set. I my cousin and I looked at each other after it was over in disbelief, rewound it and watched it again while drinking some beers. I haven't seen it in years, which makes me very sad.

As for last seen movie: Walk the Line.

I've always liked Johnny Cash. I never really read much about his life, so I can't attest as to the movies accuracy. It was a great watch, though. I thought J. Phoenix did a great job. I haven't seen a movie I liked R. Witherspoon this much in since Freeway. All in all, a solid watch.

8.5/10
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bwind22
Is one of them that this film is tremendously over-rated for a second rate Matrix rip off?

oh man ..
how much of this film was even comparable to the matrix ?
a 2 minute fight in the hallway ?

people are grasping to that comparrison because its the closest they can come to nailing some kind of label to it.

i enjoyed the 1st matrix - dont get me wrong ... but Equilibrium had just as much going for it (better acting for one) and the plot was just as engaging.

Equilibrium definately borrowed from sources - but literary ones, not film.
It was a mix of Farenheight 451, Brave New World, and 1984 - yet somehow came off fresh and new and with nice FXs that betrayed the moderate budget.

people hype the film more than what some people might like because it caught the fans unaware. the most common thing said is "how the hell did this get under the radar ?"
It is a fantastic film - that feels even moreso because it was unknown and people were taken by suprise at how good it was because of the lack of advertising.

the only hype is word of mouth.

how can that be constrewed as over-rated ? its the voice of the fans.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:46 AM
That fucking Guy...

Agreed...I'm a bit sick of the constant matrix comparisons...there just arent enough reasons...they're both decent films...you don't have to try and hate one to like the other.

Last THING I watched was a cartoon I randomly downloaded called "clone high", this here is a funny, good quality show. I'd reccomend it.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Evil Dead

prozac nation
Old 05-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Analrapist

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante'sInferno
The Adam's Family....Hey hellfire do you like this movie?
of course i do ! i grew up with the addams family. christina ricci was my first girl crush.

ah, memories :p

dead or alive 2

Thug means never having to say you're sorry.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:42 AM
No, fuck YOU

I agree with bwind22. Equilibrium is totally overrated in here.

Yes, it has Christian Bale staring it. Yes, it has a semi great story..... And thatīs about it.