Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 PM
For Vendetta

Ridley Scott and Prometheus stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace attended CineEurope tonight to sell European exhibitors on the prospects of the 3D sci-fi project.

Production is underway in London, but they obviously didn’t bring any footage or images or anything that would reveal what Prometheus is literally about. But the trio did speak to the themes of the movie.

The first hint of a prequel centered on the question “Who the hell was that space jockey?“ Scott conceded that the desire to explore that mystery inspired him to revisit the Alien universe. He attributed further inspiration to sci-fi author Erich von Däniken, a proponent of the “ancient astronaut” theory that credits civilation on earth to extraterrestrials:

Quote:
“The (space) journey, metaphorically, is about a challenge to the gods… NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way. That’s what we’re looking at (in the film), at some of Erich von Däniken’s ideas of how did we humans come about.”
That is an intriguing idea.

In Greek mythology, Prometheus is a Titan that stole fire from the gods and gave it to the mortals. Scott confirmed at CineEurope the title refers to a space ship sent from Earth by a powerful corporation, possibly for the purpose of terraforming.

Quote:
“Fassbender did hint his character, David, might be a version of the infamous corporate-designed android that plays a pivotal role in all Alien films.”
Rapace restricted herself to talk about the production: she described her work as “hard and sweaty” and claimed the 73-year-old Scott “still has more energy than all of us combined.”

Don't you love the tingling vibes that there’s this big, mysterious sci-fi project looming? I am!

Prometheus is scheduled for release on June 8, 2012.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 AM
For Vendetta

For months now there's been speculation galore as to whether or not the new Ridley Scott sci-fi project would actually turn out to be a prequel to his original 'Alien' or not. During a recent interview on 'Kevin Pollack's Chat Show', Damon Lindelof (writer) revealed that it started out as an 'Alien' prequel but then became something else, something different. So it looks like it'll most definitely be taking place in the 'Alien' universe at least.

Here's what Lindelof said:

"It started as an Alien prequel. That is what everybody wanted it to be. Obviously, Ridley Scott has not made a science fiction movie in 25 years, since Blade Runner, so the idea that he’s returning to this genre is huge.
But there is a real issue which is — what is the state of the Alien franchise at this point in our lives? There has been Alien vs. Predator and all these things, and its been completely and totally diluted. I’ve always felt that really good prequels should be original movies. And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don’t need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can’t guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability.
So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be."

He continues:

"I also do feel that this movie is the movie I would want to see as a fanboy, take place in that Alien universe, which precedes the events of the original Alien, but is not necessarily burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters, and all that stuff that I love - but its sorta like, we’ve seen it before, can we do something different this time? And thats the movie that Ridley wanted to make. And when you’re working with an auteur, you basically just shut your mouth and listen and try to transcribe and channel the vision of that person, and get out of the way."
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM
For Vendetta

A synopsis for Ridley Scott’s mysterious sci-fi flick Prometheus may have leaked online.

Details on the film have been kept under wraps to the point where there’s still confusion over how much of it is an Alien prequel and how much is its own beast. At this point, the consensus seems to be that it is a prequel to Alien, but it’s outside the mold of the franchise to date.

This synopsis sheds some light on how Prometheus could be both an Alien prequel and not an Alien-prequel:

Quote:
Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by an advanced alien race (space jockeys). These “Alien Gods” also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God’s home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and [its] crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their “children”, their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it’s not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the “bio-source code” to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods’ power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What’s left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission.

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.
Whether this is the actual synopsis, a synopsis of an earlier draft, or just outright false, we’ll know the truth when Prometheus opens in 3D on June 8, 2012. The film stars Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce, and Idris Elba.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM
For Vendetta

Spy shots from the Iceland shoot -

After spending a little over two months at Pinewood Studios, Ridley Scott is moving the Prometheus shoot to Iceland, where he'll be filming at the base of the Hekla volcano, which was rumored to be on the verge of eruption mere days ago, and the Dettifoss waterfall. The location isn't as important as what Scott says is being shot there. "It will be 15 minutes in total, if all goes to plan," the secretive director said. "We are shooting the beginning of time."

That fits pretty nicely into the leaked plot outline, which has yet to be confirmed. According to the insider, "Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by a advanced alien race (space jockeys). These 'Alien Gods' also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations." Does that mean Iceland is doubling for the dark continent? Or are these flashback scenes that are going to based around the terraforming of Earth?

Ice News also claims that Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace will be involved with the shoot, which raises even more questions about how these sequences fit into the timeline of the film, which is supposedly set in 2058. Does this mean that the top-billing actors will play alien gods? Or are they the archaeologists who find the dig? Do the archaeologists work for Weyland Corp.?

How this all fits together is anyone's guess at this point.

Last edited by _____V_____; 07-21-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM
M Harding-Gregory

I heard that the alien design was going to be completely remade and that Ridley Scott is asking Gieger, who designed the original ... Somat about no humans in Prometheus aswell, all aliens and cyborgs =/
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
For Vendetta

Fox opens Comic-Con with the "Prometheus" Panel -

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...tury-fox-panel

Excerpts -

Quote:
The clip began with images from most of Ridley Scott's earlier films, all cut together and jumbled up, a persuasive reminder of just how many things Scott has tried over the course of his career. Finally, it moved into new footage, and the first thing that struck me was just how familiar it felt. Not in a bad way, but in the sense that it absolutely feels like the world of 'Alien' brought back to life. One of the complaints I have about the "Star Wars" prequels on a design level is that it's hard to imagine that the shining, perfect worlds of the prequel films precede the beat-up dingy worlds of the original trilogy. Here, though, I can see exactly how the world of "Prometheus" might synch up to the world of "Alien" at some later point.

Using both behind-the-scenes footage and actual images from the film, the preview reel suggested that this is a film about both the origin of mankind on earth as well as our first encounter with an alien intelligence significantly different than our own. It looks scary, thrilling, and bizarre, and I can't think of anything I'd want from a new Ridley Scott science-fiction film more than that. The H.R. Giger influence is clearly felt in the sets we saw, including one that features what looked like egg tubes embedded in the floor around a statue of a giant face. We caught quick glimpses of Charlize Theron doing naked push-ups, Noomi Rapace lighting someone on fire with a flamethrower, a blonde, short-haired Michael Fassbender weeping a single milky android tear, and much more. We were shown the sets they built at Pinewood Studios, including the ones that took over the entire 007 stage, and it looks to be a massive physical build.
Quote:
I didn't realize Ridley was shooting digital 3D for the film, although I double-checked and it's been announced. I guess I'm so used to thinking about him as an old school film lover that it didn't seem like something he'd be interested in. I was surprised, though, when he and Damon talked about the process and about building almost everything practically in this age of digital wonders.

"3D has been a wonderful exercise. I started as a cameraman, so I quickly realized that it's really about lensing and picking the right lenses to make the 3D work. I've had help from Darius (Khondji) and his crew. Now that I've done it, I'll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. It opens up the whole universe. Doug Trumball once said to me, 'if you can do it live, do it live.' That was 28 years ago, and even though we've got marvelous digital capabilities, I'd still say do it live."
Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 AM
For Vendetta

First look -

Second look -

Last edited by _____V_____; 07-23-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Evil is Better

Looks awesome!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 AM
For Vendetta

Pics from the footage shown at Comic - Con (all low-res, grainy quality):

(Contd.)
Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 AM
For Vendetta

The 3D film is shooting in both PG-13 and R-rated versions with a decision to be made later as to which version will hit theaters and all will be revealed on June 8, 2012.