Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Will you participate?
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Evil Dead

I loved that website. I got all into it and convinced myself it was real before seeing it in the theater. Made for a pretty scary experience.

I also loved the Donnie Darko website.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 AM
For Vendetta

We have moved into 18 finalised films.

Like it or hate it, but with enough people backing it, Leprechaun is now an officially selected film for the 90s decade. (I say this with a bitter taste in my mouth but I have no choice nor say in this matter)

http://www.horror.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=468

Still need to finalise TWO more.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Going with what Giganticface said, even if you do not like The Blair Witch Project, you have to admit it deserves to be on any top 20 horror list for the 1990s. The film was one of the most successful independent films of all time. It made $248 million on a self-declared budget of $35,000, not including promotion. Additionally, it launched the reality TV phase and this is according to the creator of Survivor (which launched the reality TV show phase). As well as the hugely popular "Found Footage" sub-genre. Furthermore, it had a brilliant marketing campaign and was one of the first films to launch a website. If it had not been on this list I would have been completely shocked.
I get what you're saying but how a movie was made and what it did for the genre afterwards doesnt matter to me at least to how good of a film it is. In my opinion Blair Witch only did as well as it did because of an excellent marketing plan. But that's just my opinion

Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
I completely agree with Freddy's Dead and Jason Goes to Hell. I couldn't disagree more with The Blair Witch Project. It is easily one of the most brilliant and unique films of the 1990s. Many of the films that came after it were of various quality, but that film is amazing. To this day, I regard it as one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. We have already discussed Anaconda. I also disagree with Dracula for the reasons I cited in my justification. Suffice it to say, I consider it one of the best Dracula adaptations ever made. As I stated, I found Bride of Chucky to be the best in the entire Child's Play series for the reason(s) I cited. To an extent, I understand the arguments against Anaconda and Deep Blue Sea, but would not understand the arguments against some of those other films. Just a note, by posting films that you thought were bad (even at my request), I assumed I could make comments on my thoughts on them. I did not intend to knock your opinion, I am merely providing mine.
By all means man, comment away. We differ on opinion but that doesn't matter

Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Hellraiser

I'll back Deep Blue Sea, Anaconda, New Nightmare, and Event Horizon.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Sometimes dead is better

I will say I am completely shocked that Leprechaun made the list, but Natural Born Killers did not. Some might consider it thriller, which would be true, but I consider it horror and a really good movie at that.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Evil Dead

Somebody else, please back Audition. It would be a shame for it to slip, given that it already had received 6 votes. I think the only reason it wasn't a shoe-in is because Leprechaun also received 6, stirring debate. We now have a film on the list that originally received only 1 vote, and two that originally received 2 votes. Something feels odd about that, and I'm wondering what was the point of the initial vote? Odd process -- spend weeks collecting votes, only to override it with a two-day debate by a subset of the voters? Oh well, most of the films that were breathed new life are pretty good. The original top 17 was better though. The voters got it right the first time.

While we're at it, somebody please join neverending and myself and back Ringu. Think back to the first time you saw it, and forget the fact that J-horror got played out. It launched the wave of J-horror. Does no one care about the actual history of horror?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Dean of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I get what you're saying but how a movie was made and what it did for the genre afterwards doesnt matter to me at least to how good of a film it is. In my opinion Blair Witch only did as well as it did because of an excellent marketing plan. But that's just my opinion
The "found footage" genre, as it were, actually started much earlier with films like (the dreadful) Cannibal Holocaust. Other than that, I agree with the points you were responding to.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates Vault View Post
The "found footage" genre, as it were, actually started much earlier with films like (the dreadful) Cannibal Holocaust. Other than that, I agree with the points you were responding to.
It made "found footage" popular, that was our point (no offense).
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Cranky

Actually several years earlier was Snuff, but it's really Blair Witch Project which opened the floodgates, so the point remains valid.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Closed Thread