Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Will you participate?
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I'm asking this question because you and some others describe your choices as "representative of where horror was in that era." Objectively, that means nothing. Where is the bar? It's like grading on the curve. If 80% of the class scores a 25 out of 100, and you get a 30, you get an A. It doesn't mean you did well, you were just a little less crappy.
I actually rethought that exact thing. Just because a movie represents the decade doesn't make it a good movie. I realize that now and edited my post above to reflect.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post
That, I do agree with, wholeheartedly. There's a lot of same old same old out there. My top 20s all have choices that probably won't be getting a groundswell of votes. (Although - heh, no offense - they tend to be a bit more critically acclaimed than Leprechaun.)
Yeah that I still agree with too despite me changing my post but that stems more from me being tired if seeing lists made by non horror fans that always have the same 10 movies on it that are on it because they are well know n. But that's why it is actually important that we think hard about our decisions so that this list will be done well.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Hopefully you're reading this after I edited it. I reread what I originally wrote and feel I went overboard. Obviously everyone has a right to their opinion and if you feel like people are picking crap films you have a right to that and honestly some pretty bad films are getting included from me as well as others. After reading what Gigantic face wrote I understand more of what you're saying. Unfortunately most people puck films they personally like over what may be best because most people consider what they like best as actually being the best. Its why so many crappy movies get popularized. Hopefully people will vote better from here out so we can get a good list.
Just curious, which other films did you think were "crappy"?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Just curious, which other films did you think were "crappy"?
From this decade or the others? Id have to go back through

Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
From this decade or the others? Id have to go back through
Either. I probably won't agree on all of them, but I am just curious.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Hellraiser

To be honest I was never a big fan of Sleepy Hollow. I thought it was a little overrated. I actually did like Deep Blue Sea, Anaconda, and Leprechaun.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Either. I probably won't agree on all of them, but I am just curious.
I'm just gonna talk about the 90's because the other decades had good choices in them.

Honsetly i can't believe The Blair Witch Project made it to the top 20. I think it's a horrible movie. It's boring, badly made (obviously putting aside the found footage camera work and editing) and not scary at all and i still have no idea why so many people like it.

I also don't like Bram Stokers Dracula. I think it's ridiculously campy and over the top.

Anaconda is a terrible movie and i'm glad it didnt get more votes.

Jason Goes To Hell and Freddy's Dead shouldnt have even gotten one vote in my opinion and Bride of Chucky is an insult to the other Child's Play movies and thats saying something with how (despite how much i love them) silly they are

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
I'm just gonna talk about the 90's because the other decades had good choices in them.

Honsetly i can't believe The Blair Witch Project made it to the top 20. I think it's a horrible movie. It's boring, badly made (obviously putting aside the found footage camera work and editing) and not scary at all and i still have no idea why so many people like it.

I also don't like Bram Stokers Dracula. I think it's ridiculously campy and over the top.

Anaconda is a terrible movie and i'm glad it didnt get more votes.

Jason Goes To Hell and Freddy's Dead shouldnt have even gotten one vote in my opinion and Bride of Chucky is an insult to the other Child's Play movies and thats saying something with how (despite how much i love them) silly they are
I completely agree with Freddy's Dead and Jason Goes to Hell. I couldn't disagree more with The Blair Witch Project. It is easily one of the most brilliant and unique films of the 1990s. Many of the films that came after it were of various quality, but that film is amazing. To this day, I regard it as one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. We have already discussed Anaconda. I also disagree with Dracula for the reasons I cited in my justification. Suffice it to say, I consider it one of the best Dracula adaptations ever made. As I stated, I found Bride of Chucky to be the best in the entire Child's Play series for the reason(s) I cited. To an extent, I understand the arguments against Anaconda and Deep Blue Sea, but would not understand the arguments against some of those other films. Just a note, by posting films that you thought were bad (even at my request), I assumed I could make comments on my thoughts on them. I did not intend to knock your opinion, I am merely providing mine.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Evil Dead

Blair Witch is definitely a love it or hate it deal. Even if you don't like it, you have to admit it launched a subgenre - an extremely popular one. For that reason, it belongs in the list as an essential representation of what happened in 90s horror.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Going with what Giganticface said, even if you do not like The Blair Witch Project, you have to admit it deserves to be on any top 20 horror list for the 1990s. The film was one of the most successful independent films of all time. It made $248 million on a self-declared budget of $35,000, not including promotion. Additionally, it launched the reality TV phase and this is according to the creator of Survivor (which launched the reality TV show phase). As well as the hugely popular "Found Footage" sub-genre. Furthermore, it had a brilliant marketing campaign and was one of the first films to launch a website. If it had not been on this list I would have been completely shocked.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Closed Thread