Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Undead

It's a superb film and one that you couldn't imagine ever being made today (at least not with real "freaks" - the PC brigade would have a fit and it would have to use CGI versions of the bloomin Basket Case 3 mob) - it isn't scary so much as a sort of twisted fairy tale with some truly despicable characters and despite it's reputation isn't as expoitative as you might think, especially considering the time it was made the "freaks" on the whole are portrayed as very human and apart from those with ulterior motives are treated as such by the average shaped characters.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:56 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Shade Send a message via Yahoo to Shade
one of us! one of us! I love that movie. I wouldn't call it the best horror movie ever...or even horror...but it is excellent. Though the ending didn't quite add up...ironic, yes...still doesn't mean I get how it could happen. All right, dispel logic and watch the movie!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned

There are disfigured people all the time. I wouldn't consider that 'horrible' just like I wouldn't consider 'Freaks' to be a horror film. I'd agree it's a revenge film. Set in a strange enviornment, sure, but still a revenge film. It's what's going on in people's minds that is horrifying.
CK
Old 10-30-2004, 07:05 AM
dangerous'

Todd Browning IS amazing.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:48 PM
(>';')>$<(';'<)

First time poster on this site ><

i was thrilled when i saw this on the first page of the forums, i have to say it is one of my favorite shows of all time - definatly on my top ten list anyway - I have been trying to collect some tidbits of the film and have the charachature of roscoe yates from the brown derby in hollywood and a few signed photos by the guy with no pelvis and the little dwarf couple.

anyone know where i can find an inexpensive repro poster?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Scares Little Kids

Not really sure how Tod Browning was amazing, he set up the camera and let it sit there. Here's a question about the film though, would anyone find the movie entertaining if it didn't contain "freaks"? I enjoyed the movie but I can honestly say I wouldn't have liked it otherwise, just something to think about...
Old 11-04-2004, 04:38 AM
Banned

thats kind of like asking people if they'd like alien, if there werent any aliens ...
Old 11-04-2004, 04:43 AM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up !!!

good point made by jackie brown! if freaks contain regular people (and i say regular loosly) would anyone have cared? it was a good movie, for what it was. i still likek chanting "one of us" every now and then.

would people get offended if in a zombie movie, mentally handicapped people were my extras? send some down syndrome people in makeup storrming a old farmhouse. think of it, and ignore the naked girls in the bath tub of (pig's) blood that is the opening scene?

"let them hate, provided they fear" -seneca
Old 11-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Evil Dead

better point!

pictures aliens with no aliens* uggghhhh, god that would suck. think if gieger hadn't had anything to do with it? that would be aliens with NO aliens! good point my neighbor to the north!

"let them hate, provided they fear" -seneca
Old 11-04-2004, 05:17 AM
Banned

I juess i'm just saying that the very concept of Freaks were the Freaks.
You could apply the 'what if' logic to any genre film.
Sure it would be just another jilted lover revenge flick ....
And almost every single Sci-Fi flick would just be a western ..
And every slasher flick without a crazed killer would be a crime drama.

Freaks was a landmard film for a number of reasons .. it was daring as hell for the time and it painted a sympathetic picture of the poor unfortunates in the film. It also made them human.
Which was the point of the film .. these poor creatures were more human than the 'normal' girl.
So without the freaks .. the movie would have no point.

I understand where the question came from ... but in this case i'd have to say that they were integral to the film.