Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-19-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
30 lbs isn't too bad. Do you like fruits? Instead of eating bad sweets try experimenting with eating new sweet fruits. Angra is a good place to start.

Do you think he'd be into that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I speak to you as a fellow food addict in a slow recovery.
Firstly, it's good that you've realised you've got this issue.

It's also important to know, in the event that you didn't, that sugar consumption is actually a worse factor than fat.
Sure, fat might stay with you - but sugar helps keep it there by being excess easy access energy - the human body burns this first, instead of fat.

My advice?
Don't go completely nuts.
If you drink tea or coffee and you're used to having sugar - try to just half it...though these are not really a big offender in the overall sugar count.

Bear in mind sugar is in fruit too, so go with only a couple of servings per day.

Learn about craving equivalency if you're dealing with chocolate.
Cacao, and nuts both have things in them that can take the edge off.

Drink lots of water.

No sodas/soft drinks, at all - no matter how much you crave them, do not touch them. If you need something fizzy look into mineral water and add some mango nectar or some such. Don't go overboard.

Drinking lots of water, even if you're sick of it...kind of flushes your system a bit. I found after about 4-5 days, the "need" to have these sugary drinks leaves you, if not completely, well on the way by this stage.
Now, I'm not sure about other things, but it sure helped when it came to the Coke etc.

Golden rule - if you have control issues...rather than trying to "practice better control", in my opinion, remove your control from the situation.
Do not buy these things.
At all.
Not for a sometimes thing. Not for a "Been doing so well, I will reward myself".
Fuck that logic right off. You have to.

If you're going to treat yourself - do it out, do not buy bulk, do it expensively, and of good quality. Don't buy a block of chocolate, go out and have that full sugar coffee with extra cream from a high end cafe with an awesome barista, and get yourself some badass truffles, slice of cake, whatever.
Let it hit you in the wallet. Be decadent. Experience the more luxurious side of these habits...but importantly, Do this NO MORE than once a week...or you'll simply land yourself in a more expensive habit.

Get exercise in. Steady cardio ideally, but if not walking. Set a time goal or make sure you do a certain amount of steps.
It's always recommended, but, it will go nicely hand in hand with the extra water consumption to get your system a bit more flushed.
Join a gym if unstructured exercise is something you're realistically not motivated enough to do - again, let that hit you in the wallet. Loss/waste of funds is a good motivator.
If you don't have the cash for a gym, well yes, then you're going to need to rely on yourself to do this - start listening to podcasts, they kill the time well and are habit forming while walking/jogging/cycling.

That's all I've really got.
Dieting sucks. It's hard. It's bullshit. But, it gets easier.
You're not so much "on a diet" as changing around your existing one.
You can do it. All it is is not eating something, right?
If willpower is an issue, like I said remove it from the table - the rest will follow in time. Don't expect an easy time of it. Expect a fucking SHIT time of it.

After a month, you'll be ok.
I know what you mean about dieting..I can't think of it this way. When I quit smoking, I never thought of it as a diet. When people quit drugs..its not a diet. I'm trying to give up an addiction. I can't eat sugar the way most people can. I binge on it with no regards to the consequences. But a couple of days ago something clicked. I think I can do it this time!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:14 AM
I am the turtle lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
PLAYING TODAY ON THE ANGLEWITCH MOVIE THEATER AT 6:00 PM

SUMMER CAMP NIGHTMARE

Based on the book The Butterfly Revolution.

Dear Mom
I am having a fun time at summer camp we get to carry guns and the camp councilor is dead.
It all started out in fun and games until it got out of control.
This classic film from the 80's is not a horror film, this is a Juvenile Delinquent film.
Starring Chuck Conners and some other actors.
Here is the youtube link for the trailer.
Rated R for bad language and a little bad acting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSBGyjPG5Uo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Hmm I do love me some Chuck Conners. But is he a werewolf pirate in this? I think not.
All he is in this is a camp councilor. But I think you guys will enjoy this film.

Last edited by anglewitch; 03-19-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Horror Fan

Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
But Frankenstein was the doctor. That wouldn't make any sense. He should be called Frankenstein Jr then. No, that was Gene Wilders name....

No, Frankenstein's Monster it is.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
But Frankenstein was the doctor. That wouldn't make any sense. He should be called Frankenstein Jr then. No, that was Gene Wilders name....

No, Frankenstein's Monster it is.
That's the joke
Old 03-20-2016, 01:49 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglewitch View Post
PLAYING TOMORROW ON THE ANGLEWITCH MOVIE THEATER AT 6:00

SUMMER CAMP NIGHTMARE

Based on the book The Butterfly Revolution.

Dear Mom
I am having a fun time at summer camp we get to carry guns and the camp councilor is dead.
It all started out in fun and games until it got out of control.
This classic film from the 80's is not a horror film, this is a Juvenile Delinquent film.
Starring Chuck Conners and some other actors.
Here is the youtube link for the trailer.
Rated R for bad language and a little bad acting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSBGyjPG5Uo
I saw this movie on TV one sat afternoon when I was a teen. I loved the social-political exposition of a would-be social revolutionary or dictator. Film's pretty simplistic and mostly unrealistic, but for a horror film it's smart and interesting. Animal Farm meets Sleepaway Camp.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:56 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloofer Lady View Post
GIVING UP SUGAR any tips or advice welcome!

I fully believe I am an addict. I can't just have one chocolate, I have to finish the whole box. I feel constantly hungry but its always for sweets, never apples or carrots. I have suffered what I'm sure are"sugar hangovers". Needless to say I am approx 30 lbs overweight.

One thing, though, this time I do feel really determined to do it. Its scary how much sweet stuff I can eat!
cheebacheeba's advice is spot-on. I'm currently on a change of habbit to lose 20lbs and keep the healthy habbits. I've been successful in this routine a couple years ago. Plus 15 years ago I successfully gave up habitual soda consumption.

~ SMALLER PORTIONS WORKS! You will be dumbfounded by how satisfied you'll be with smaller portions (half sandwich, etc) when you eat slowly & concentrate on flavors/textures. It takes apx 20 mins for brain to receive the full/satisfied stimulus, regardless of amount!

~ Some people are helped, or allergic to, different things, so your past experience and awareness of yourself is key.

~ Regarding sweets (and chocolate) addiction, there is research avl online (& likely on youtube) that explains how it works in your brain, & how your body feels. Identifying these sensations, while they occur, helps some people manage behavior.

~ If you work (or other routine), as soon as you park your car at home, walk around the block(s) BEFORE you go in your house (put walking shoes/sox in car, whatever necessary). Everyone needs exercise. You must get juices flowing for healthy satisfied stomach & mind.

~ Coffee is a harmless appetite suppressant for some (but bad for digestive system for others).

~ Drink room temp filtered water. Don't purchase soda, especially not artificial sweeteners which are worse in many ways. (have cold Seltzer/club/mineral water if you like).

~ Get into the wonderful world of salads! Find the fixings you love (cabbage, croutons, grapes, feta cheese, white balsamic dressing, whatever keeps you hitting it once a day (with evening meal for me). Preparing salads can be tough for some, so enjoy making them - music or comedy & wine, some you-time. There are essential micronutrients in veg/fruits that make your system healthy, including preventing some eating compulsions.

~ Eat 3 meals. When eating have lean meats, baby carrots, celery, nuts - whatever healthy items you like or can stand. Take multivitamin & least-expensive probiotic during dinner.

~ Don't buy chocolate, ever. You really don't need it. It's gone. Moving on to better times. Life is made of a collection of much better things! (translation: cold-turkey works very well for most people.)

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-20-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Horror Fan

Lightbulb

User V has been reinstated at HDC. Welcome back to V.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:08 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
That's the joke
Then I don't get the joke.

Maybe I need to read the book first.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
User V has been reinstated at HDC. Welcome back to V.
Welcome back, V. How long have you been gone?