Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2023, 02:39 AM
Evil Dead

SLAUGHTERS BIG RIP OFF (1973). Jim Brown is back as the title character trying to seek a more tranquil life after avenging his parents deaths. But a new gangster on the block (said new gangster is also a pimp and played in wild outfits by Ed MacMahon!!) is miffed at Slaughter's actions from the 1972 film and decides to get back at him, with a vicious hit man, played with gusto by Don Stroud.

Standard blaxploitation, not bad, but not as wild as the original film. Gloria Hendry (LIVE AND LET DIE) is OK as the girlfriend, but really not much to do. **1/2
Old 09-22-2023, 01:46 AM
Evil Dead

THE HORROR SHOW (1989). Lance Henriksen is the only saving grace of this horrid film playing a policeman who brings a killer to justice (a very hammy Brion James) . The killer's spirit comes back and begins hassling him and his family. It's also known as HOUSE 3, but more along the lines of a NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET sequel. No chills, no thrills and should be avoided at all costs. 1/2
Old 10-01-2023, 10:03 AM
Evil Dead

Fright Night Part 2 1988 ★½

Forgettable sequel that pretty quickly lost the steam it started with.

The only fun parts were seeing Roddy McDowall and the Alien Bounty Hunter as the main villain.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:19 AM
ventricle

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
10/10

After hearing Republican presidential candidate Viveck Ramaswamy talk about bringing mental institutions back to the US, I decided to re-watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Film is based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Ken Kesey. Along with putting the term Nurse Ratched into the American lexicon, it's said to have been very influential in getting mental institutions closed. Many critics in the US and Europe pointed out one of the troubling issues is how people act in these power dynamics. The film definitely highlights this.

The film stars Jack Nicholson as a multi-convicted criminal who may be faking insanity in order to be placed in a mental institution that he feels is a better option than the prison labor camp.

The dialogue is very rich with the characters' real-life issues. And the insight into the wide range of mental disorders makes one wonder if the writer was in an institution. Indeed, Kesey worked part-time as an attendant in a mental ward. Certainly, the research feels extensive. The visceral direction and expert acting make one feel they are really in an institution.

It's not a pleasant experience. And one shouldn't want it any other way. The Nicholson character is certainly an anti-hero; and cast of characters leads one to determine everyone has psychosis on display. The film is not without hope, which does emerge throughout the film.

Last edited by Sculpt; 05-02-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:49 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
10/10

After hearing Republican presidential candidate Viveck Ramaswamy talk about bringing mental institutions back to the US, I decided to re-watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Film is based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Ken Kesey. Along with putting the term Nurse Ratched into the American lexicon, it's said to have been very influential in getting mental institutions closed. Many critics in the US and Europe pointed out one of the troubling issues is how people act in these power dynamics. The film definitely highlights this.

The film stars Jack Nicholson as a multi-convicted criminal who may be faking insanity in order to be placed in a mental institution that he feels is a better option than the prison labor camp.

The dialogue is very rich with the characters real life issues. And the insight into the wide range of mental issues makes one wonder if the writer was in an institution. Certainly, the research feels extensive. The visceral direction and expert acting make one feel they are really in an institution.

It's not a pleasant experience. And one shouldn't want it any other way. The Nicholson character is certainly an anti-hero; and cast of characters leads one to determine everyone has psychosis on display. The film is not without hope, which does emerge throughout the film.
How did you like Dourif in this one?
Old 10-15-2023, 03:46 AM
Evil Dead

STATELINE MOTEL (1975)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also known as LAST CHANCE, which is the name of the motel the story takes place in. Just after being released from a Canadian prison, Fabio Testi hooks up with his old partner (Eli Wallach, who is pretty good) to rob a jewelry store, which doesn't end in the best way. They decide to split up (Fabio has the jewels) and meet in Vermont the next day. Fabio has an accident and while his car is being repaired, He holes up in the Last Chance, where the older manager has a lovely yet unfulfilled wife (You can probably see where this going),...

Heavy on THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE motif and standard caper movies, SM actually kept Me interested enough for the end and better than I thought it would be. It also can boast of having two Bond girls in the same film; Barbara Bach (THE SPY WHO LOVED ME) and Ursula Andress (DR NO). While BB is not at all shabby, Ursula probably was her most beautiful during this time and her brief nudity is another reason to watch. ***
Old 10-19-2023, 11:15 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
How did you like Dourif in this one?
I thought Dourif was absolutely brilliant. In his important scenes he's conveying so much with just his subtle facial expressions. He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (Oscar).

I'd say the same for Louise Fletcher, who won Best Actress. Nicholson won Best Actor.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:58 PM
Evil Dead

ZAPPED! (1982). A High School student has an accident in the lab and the chemicals involved give him the power of telekinesis, which He uses to his advantage. His best friend (a TOTAL tool) persuades him (often) to use the powers for said friend's benefit.

I probably would have loved this as a teenager, but found it stupid most of the time, not really funny and almost a rebooting of CARRIE, particularly towards the finale, although there are no deaths and not much injury. Also a nod to THE EXORCIST and a rather odd STAR TREK interlude.

I did find it interesting that the majority of the cast all had fame from television shows...Scott Baio (HAPPY DAYS, CHARLES IN CHARGE), Willie Ames (EIGHT IS ENOUGH; his relationship with Scott here could be considered almost "funny"), Felice Schachter (THE FACTS OF LIFE; she is very appealing here), Heather Thomas (THE FALL GUY; be prepared for disappointment), Robert Mandan (SOAP), LaWanda Page (SANFORD AND SON) and one of my favorites Scatman

Crothers (CHICO AND THE MAN... I got most of the laughs from him and his natural delivery). **
Old 10-29-2023, 12:42 AM
Evil Dead

THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY (1978). Although there is a lot of Hollywood embellishment, this is a solid representation of the amazingly talented musician who could do it all-what a future He may have had, if not for choosing alternate transport so He could do some laundry.
Gary Busey is terrific as Buddy and he gets solid support from Don Stroud (Drummer), Charles Martin Smith (Bass) and Maria Richwine who is quite good as Mrs Holly.
Well worth seeing and I find it credible that the three "musicians" actually learned to play the songs, so You are seeing the real thing during the numbers, instead of lip-synching. ****
Old 10-30-2023, 05:32 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Slime City (1988) i love the special effects in this one, the squirting "slime", the blood, and dismemberment, and the stomach that eats with its own set of teeth, fun lil flick.