Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-22-2022, 01:16 PM
病気の

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
REFLECTION OF FEAR (1972)

Thanks again for the rec!

I adore 70's films. I am always searching for hidden gems. I really liked this.

A Reflection of Fear, 1972. 7/10

Director: William A. Fraker

Thumb resize.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
Thanks again for the rec!

I adore 70's films. I am always searching for hidden gems. I really liked this.

A Reflection of Fear, 1972. 7/10

Director: William A. Fraker

Thumb resize.
You're Welcome!

LUST FOR A VAMPIRE (1970). This sequel to THE VAMPIRE LOVERS gets lots of criticism from just about everybody, particularly those who worked on it. The biggest detractors were Director Jimmy Sangster (replacing Terence fisher), Actor Ralph Bates (replacing Peter Cushing)and nominal Star Yutte Stensgaard, with the script and the inclusion of "Strange Love" sung by "Tracy" getting the most complaints.

Although Yutte tries hard, she is clearly out of her depth and Ingrid Pitt would have had the chops and charisma to carry it off. However, She was filming COUNTESS DRACULA at the time and it was felt She might be too old (at 32, no less).

So, not one of the better Hammers , but honestly, it really isn't that bad. Some decent atmosphere, Suzanna Leigh as the voice of reason is pretty good and DJ Mike Raven has presence, even if his voice is dubbed -- and the close ups of bloodshot eyes clearly belong to Christopher Lee.

Of course, the biggest draw for "Youngsters"-in age and in "heart"- is the MANY showcases of the three "B's"... namely, Beautiful Bare Breasts. Can't ever recall any of the films from the studio, even in the more relaxed '70's having so much nudity. ***
Old 04-01-2022, 04:15 AM
病気の

Curtains, 1983. 7/10

Director: Richard Ciupka

Old 04-01-2022, 05:52 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
April Fool’s Day
Old 11-08-2022, 12:51 AM
Evil Dead

IN THE SHADOW OF KILIMANJARO (1986). Missed this in the theaters and got a disc from VIDEO SCREAMS. An area around a Kenyan mine is experiencing a severe drought and mysterious murders which are revealed to be hunger/thirst racked mobs of baboons! Cast gives it the old College try (particularly John Rhys-Davies), but the whole thing is so reminiscent of JAWS and the finale, while intense, ends up silly. Not bad, but could have been better. **1/2
Old 11-13-2022, 03:32 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Trilogy of terror
Old 11-13-2022, 12:40 PM
Evil Dead

Don’t Look Now (1973) ★★★★½

Say what you will, but the best seventies films had an aesthetic that has since then never been rivaled or paralelled.

There is a lot to say about this film.

I don't know if the story it was based on was set in Venice. I kind of hope it was not, because it would make it a stroke of genius. The setting gives the story an undeniable beauty. Maybe one of the best commercials for visiting Venice, outside the season.

From there, it's a small leap to the storytelling and the performances by the actors. Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland share a chemistry that I cannot remember seeing in a romcom or a self-professed romantic movie. It shows two people that really love each other and both deal with their trauma in a different way. Julie Christie's character seems to want to embrace her trauma, while Sutherland's character seems to want shut himself off. Only to see it turn into something that would now be considered close to PTSD.

For a horror, it has a relatively small death toll. But the final kill does offer a beautiful scene. With a Saw-like quick editing, suggesting his life flashing before his eyes.

A beautiful story. Well recommended.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:50 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Don’t Look Now (1973) ★★★★½

Say what you will, but the best seventies films had an aesthetic that has since then never been rivaled or paralelled.

There is a lot to say about this film.

I don't know if the story it was based on was set in Venice. I kind of hope it was not, because it would make it a stroke of genius. The setting gives the story an undeniable beauty. Maybe one of the best commercials for visiting Venice, outside the season.

From there, it's a small leap to the storytelling and the performances by the actors. Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland share a chemistry that I cannot remember seeing in a romcom or a self-professed romantic movie. It shows two people that really love each other and both deal with their trauma in a different way. Julie Christie's character seems to want to embrace her trauma, while Sutherland's character seems to want shut himself off. Only to see it turn into something that would now be considered close to PTSD.

For a horror, it has a relatively small death toll. But the final kill does offer a beautiful scene. With a Saw-like quick editing, suggesting his life flashing before his eyes.

A beautiful story. Well recommended.
It's been awhile since I saw this...will have to check it out again.
And like You, I'm very pleased the Board is up and running. Good to see Your reviews again...Sculpt, Hammerfan and Bloof...where are You?

SEASON OF THE WITCH (1972). Early George Romero film that was marketed as a Horror movie and all but disappeared. Watching it again on YOUTUBE, it's better if You view it more as a character study. An unappreciated Wife/Mother decides to spread her wings and may have bitten off than She could chew. Very much a Woman's Lib film, it has some unnecessary scenes and vagueness that Romero could indulge in during his early period. But worth seeing and better than I remember it being. ***
Old 11-14-2022, 07:32 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's been awhile since I saw this...will have to And like You, I'm very pleased the Board is up and running. Good to see Your reviews again...
Thanks for that. I have six or seven months of catching up to do, so you can expect plenty of copy pasting.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:35 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
SEASON OF THE WITCH (1972). Early George Romero film that was marketed as a Horror movie and all but disappeared. Watching it again on YOUTUBE, it's better if You view it more as a character study. An unappreciated Wife/Mother decides to spread her wings and may have bitten off than She could chew. Very much a Woman's Lib film, it has some unnecessary scenes and vagueness that Romero could indulge in during his early period. But worth seeing and better than I remember it being. ***
Sounds good. I'll see if I can find it on YT.