Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2004, 06:40 AM
PRIVATE EYE

Send a message via AIM to nine9
Quote:
Originally posted by Stingy Jack
Looking forward to that AIM! We can argue about Moby Dick. I hated that book! heheheheh I just finished Volume 1 of Wuthering Heights, and have moved on to Vol. 2 (yay for me!) Hopefully, I can get it done and have a unit ready by the time the students start. (stress stress stress stress :eek: )
How can you hate Moby Dyck! Incredibly allegorical..........beautifully written even though it strays at times.........Ahab was fascinating! LOL! Yeah I'll aim you when I get back!
:D
Old 07-30-2004, 06:54 AM
King of the Long Post

Send a message via AIM to Stingy Jack
Quote:
Originally posted by nine9
How can you hate Moby Dyck! Incredibly allegorical..........beautifully written even though it strays at times.........Ahab was fascinating! LOL! Yeah I'll aim you when I get back!
:D
The funny thing is (true story), Melville didn't even realise that Moby Dick was allegorical until somebody pointed it out to him. :D Actually, I didn't hate it. It was pretty bothersome though. It reads like a narrative that's wrapped around a massive encyclopedia entry on whales.
GOOD LORD DELIVER TO US!
Old Scotch Invocation
-- adapted by Stingy Jack

Stingy's Horror DVD Collection
Old 07-30-2004, 06:59 AM
PRIVATE EYE

Quote:
The funny thing is (true story), Melville didn't even realise that Moby Dick was allegorical until somebody pointed it out to him. :D Actually, I didn't hate it. It was pretty bothersome though. It reads like a narrative that's wrapped around a massive encyclopedia entry on whales.
Yes I know....I've read about that. Everyone sees it as being about man and god......I see it as relating to our interconnection with nature, and how powerless we really are in the midst of of it even though we would like to believe we are have ultimate control. That was Ahab's downfall.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:01 AM
PRIVATE EYE

Oh and about the whales........that I do agree on.......... I now know absolutely everything about whales inside and out.........that did get excessive......LOL!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:08 AM
King of the Long Post

Quote:
Yes I know....I've read about that. Everyone sees it as being about man and god......I see it as relating to our interconnection with nature, and how powerless we really are in the midst of of it even though we would like to believe we are have ultimate control. That was Ahab's downfall.
Yes! I agree. Moby Dick is definitely Romantic in fashion (and again, I don't mean "romantic" as in lovey-dovey, but as in the Romantic Movement). Man believes he is all-powerful, but nature is stronger. I love Romantic art, too. It's so violent! (drool). Like the painting on the cover of my Penguin Classics edition of Lovecraft. It depicts a little man down in the left-hand corner, surrounded by fire, smoke, and black mountains. Really moving stuff.
GOOD LORD DELIVER TO US!
Old Scotch Invocation

Old 07-30-2004, 07:13 AM
PRIVATE EYE

Quote:
Yes! I agree. Moby Dick is definitely Romantic in fashion (and again, I don't mean "romantic" as in lovey-dovey, but as in the Romantic Movement). Man believes he is all-powerful, but nature is stronger. I love Romantic art, too. It's so violent! (drool). Like the painting on the cover of my Penguin Classics edition of Lovecraft. It depicts a little man down in the left-hand corner, surrounded by fire, smoke, and black mountains. Really moving stuff.
I love that type of art too.............no not lovey dovey...........but passionate regarding the human experience.........and now I must get ready to go out.........you.......me ...books ..later bud!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:15 AM
King of the Long Post

Quote:
I love that type of art too.............no not lovey dovey...........but passionate regarding the human experience.........and now I must get ready to go out.........you.......me ...books ..later bud!
Buh bye!
GOOD LORD DELIVER TO US!
Old Scotch Invocation

Old 07-30-2004, 09:21 AM
The Queen of Swords

Send a message via AIM to Haunted
Jack and 9, it's great to see friendships form. It's like a glass of champagne.

However, let me step in for just a sec and make a comment about this topic.

I didn't see "Saved," and while I appreciate Christianity's right to art, Christianity doesn't appreciate mine or those with differing views. (Note that I'm refering to extremists and the South, where I was born and raised), so it's my little insignificant way of protesting. Silly, but it gives me a little self righteous pleasure. :D
Old 07-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Post-Moderation

To stingy and Nine, i must once again advocate the creation of a flirtation/hook up forum....

Quote:
I didn't see "Saved," and while I appreciate Christianity's right to art, Christianity doesn't appreciate mine or those with differing views. (Note that I'm refering to extremists and the South, where I was born and raised), so it's my little insignificant way of protesting. Silly, but it gives me a little self righteous pleasure.
Ya i feel ya on this one....the sheer amount of violence that was allowed in the "artistic" depiction of christs last moments (passion), is sickening when you see how much violence is NOT allowed in movies with the same artistic goals (natural born killers for example)...