Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Evil Dead

....hmmmm...on the Nasties list...

Can't go wrong with Blood Feast. Pure schlocky exploitation at it's best. Only offensive to people who can't contextualise violence and approaches to violence.

The Beyond and it's sister, House By The Cemetery (still a complete mystery, other than probable inconsistansy on a large scale, why City Of The Living Dead wasn't a nasty if the other two films in Fulci's "trilogy" are...)

Zombie Flesh Eaters (Zombi 2) Zombie Vs. Shark, afterall...

Tenebre, a brilliant Giallo film.

And of course, who doesn't love The Evil Dead.

Planning on getting Inferno soon. I saw a copy of Posession on the shelves of HMV today. Broke my heart that I didn't have the cash to buy it as it's probably quite difficult to find as a DVD on a shop shelf. Ah well, I'll probably buy it soon...
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Hellraiser

Love all of those movies. Out of the three Fulci films I'd have to go with The Beyond as my favourite, it has a very ominous atmosphere and the end scene just does it for me. While I enjoyed both City of the Living Dead and House by the Cemetery, I found the stories a little more difficult to follow.

Zombi and The Evil Dead are both classics and are some of my favourite movies.

I haven't heard of Possession.

Although not exactly a Video Nasty, I really enjoy Blue Sunshine, a film that shows what could happen when experimenting with LSD. Very creepy and recommended.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecryptkeeper View Post
Love all of those movies. Out of the three Fulci films I'd have to go with The Beyond as my favourite, it has a very ominous atmosphere and the end scene just does it for me. While I enjoyed both City of the Living Dead and House by the Cemetery, I found the stories a little more difficult to follow.

Zombi and The Evil Dead are both classics and are some of my favourite movies.

I haven't heard of Possession.

Although not exactly a Video Nasty, I really enjoy Blue Sunshine, a film that shows what could happen when experimenting with LSD. Very creepy and recommended.
Possession was on the Video Nasties list and it's one of the more bizarre titles in more ways than one.

First of all, it's very odd. It's an art film, basically, and it relies on surrealism.

That it is an art film is also makes it an odd inclusion on the list. Admittedly not all of Nasties were completely horror films (though pretty much all of them floated around horror somewhere, Posession included.) but it's also, arguably the most "prestigious" film on the list. It starred a high-calibre cast in Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani who, I believe, even won an award at Cannes for her work on the film (although, of course, both worked in horror films, especially around this period) and had a very revered director in Andzrej Zulawski.

It also featured the work of special effects artist, Carlo Rambaldi who was working on E.T around the same time. Although Rambaldi worked on his share of horror films, including fellow Nasty, Bay Of Blood.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Whip In My Valise

Ilsa She Wolf Of The SS
Salo The 120 Days Of Sodom
The Devils
(not video nasties, just exploitation)

Incredibly, Dead And Buried was a video nasty. That was a criminally underrated film.

I'll second Possession, Tenebre, and Evil Dead.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
mostly ghostly?

Yeah, big-time rec on Possession. It's a brilliant mess of a film.
I hear-tell that it's going to be re-released on DVD at some point in the near future.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
Ilsa She Wolf Of The SS
Salo The 120 Days Of Sodom
The Devils
(not video nasties, just exploitation)

Incredibly, Dead And Buried was a video nasty. That was a criminally underrated film.

I'll second Possession, Tenebre, and Evil Dead.
I curse myself for not picking up Salo when I had the chance. Also been meaning to check The Devils.

Dead and Buried is great and very underrated indeed! But apparently Stan Winston's effects are too realistic for the BBFC.

Another great Nasty was Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, also very underrated.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecryptkeeper View Post
Also been meaning to check The Devils.
Huge rec for The Devils along with Possession, although I certainly wouldn't call either one exploitation.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Huge rec for The Devils along with Possession, although I certainly wouldn't call either one exploitation.
True, but I mentioned Posession because it's a Video Nasty.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Hellraiser

Have you guys seen any Nazisploitation at all?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Got Milk?

How about Sweet Movie and Pink Flamingos? I'm not entirely sure what is considered exploitation, as there are so many variations of it, but I'm sure those fit in somewhere.

There is also an excellent documentary called Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist which Wiki lists as exploitation (or, more specifically, shocksploitation). I was surprised to see it listed there actually - yes, it's entirely shocking, but it is also real - it doesn't just look real. But anyway, it's great, so I recommend it.

Tags
banned, controverial, exploitation, video nasty