Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Tonight belongs to HIM

Quote:
Originally posted by barbra
that's pretty bold. I think it will do well.
For real. A lot of people have been talking about it..
Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
we, the internet, are not the majority. The majority know little to nothing about this movie, or what it's about. "What's that movie about?" doesn't draw the curious viewer like people think. Also, it's done in the same technical style as Sky Captain, and that movie didn't do shit at the box office and had leads that were more bankable than the people in this. Hell, Sky Captain had leads, period. Joe Movie-Goer doesn't even know who the main character of the movie is.

Plus, there's still the competition. This is opening the same week as Beautey Shop. It's a black comedy, and has Queen Latifah as the lead. That'll get it a #1 spot for at least one week. Don't forget, fucking Diary of a Mad Black Woman got #1 for that long. The next week, Sahara and Fever Pitch come out. Fever Pitch is a Romantic Comedy With Popular Leads, and Sahara is basically National Treasure with different actors, both will probably do well, and any major traffic Sin City gets it'll get in the first week, maybe some early in the second, and Amittyville Horror comes out the 15th. By the time the 22nd rolls around and there isn't shit coming out, Sin City's chances of even hitting #1 are gone. And in May, before the 20th, there's a Ridley Scott epic, House of Wax, and a Jet-Li movie coming out. The 20th, Star Wars.

too bad Sin City won't do shit at the box office

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 03-24-2005, 11:21 PM
No charge for awesomeness

I would be willing to place a wager with ya Sam (It will have to be a gentleman's wager since we have no means of collecting on each other) that Sin City buries Beauty Shop at the box office.

You are giving those movies waaaay too much credit.

Queen Latifah + Black comedy = #1 spot? Ha! Beauty Shop won't come anywhere close to seeing the same succes as the Barber Shop movies.

Fever Pitch? Are you fucking kidding me? Jimmy Fallon is a popular lead? How'd Taxi do? And it's not like Drew Barrymore is uncapable of making a bomb. She does it all the time.

Sahara will do alright but it's a family adventure movie. Not exactly the same demographic that would be going to see Sin City.

If you ask me, Sin City doesn't really have any competition at all until Amityville.

So what do say, Sam? Gentlemen's bet? Sin City vs. Beauty Shop. I say Sin City demolishes it at the box office. I'll even give you $1,000,000 head start. (Kinda like a point spread.) Sin City will beat it by more than a million so I'm not worried.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:35 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/...eenlatifah.htm

With Week 2, you're looking at the individual movies. It's Sahara AND Fever Pitch. I'm not looking for either one to do all that great, though Sahara will probably hit #1 for a week, but combined they're going to hurt Sin City's numbers.

And I think you're giving the average moviegoer too much credit. I heard the reaction the Beautey Shop trailer got down here. Same with Fever Pitch.

It's not the individual things that are going to hurt Sin City, it's the fact that they're all pretty much hitting it at once. Beauty Shop, Fever Pitch & Sahara, Amittyville, the fact that you can't really tell what the movies about, visual style, lack of discernable lead, et cetera. Its core audience is gonna see the movie the first week it's out. Other than that, it won't do much of anything.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

Gentlemen's Bet

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 03-25-2005, 12:14 AM

*Shakes*

My prediction is that it does good opening weekend based on the loyal fans that would see it no matter what but word of mouth will take it from there. (Just like word of mouth will take Beauty Shop straight into the shithouse after opening week.)

That's how I think it'll go. I sure hope it does good because I want to see more of these really awesome comics turned in to movies sometime soon. *Cough* Preacher *Cough*

In your favor though, I tend to be hugely optimistic about things I really want to happen. For instance, I watch every single Vikings game every single season optimistically cheering them on in hopes that 'this might be the year'. If you ask me right now how they will do next year, I will tell you that without a doubt they will win it all (even without Moss), but that's just my optimism talking. This could be one of those same deals...

Anyways, I guess we'll find out soon enough...
Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 AM
The Dork Knight

Actually bwind I think Sam is right on the Beauty Shop prediction, Diary of A Mad Black Woman took the number one spot for a week and it's lead was an unknown dressed like an old woman so Queen Latifah in a spin off from a very successful film as Barber Shop should be a shoe-in.

Will it be as good or successful as the Barber Shop films? I don't know but the success of those films will bring this one the same at least for the first week.

p.s.
The Vikings suck:D
Old 03-25-2005, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Actually bwind I think Sam is right on the Beauty Shop prediction, Diary of A Mad Black Woman took the number one spot for a week and it's lead was an unknown dressed like an old woman so Queen Latifah in a spin off from a very successful film as Barber Shop should be a shoe-in.

Will it be as good or successful as the Barber Shop films? I don't know but the success of those films will bring this one the same at least for the first week.

No Ice Cube + No Cedric = No Ticket Sales

Queen Latifah has proven that she can't carry a movie on her own. I'm sure it will do okay, I'm just saying Sin City beats it by a million at least.

Quote:
p.s.
The Vikings suck:D

;)
Old 03-25-2005, 02:14 AM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by bwind22
No Ice Cube + No Cedric = No Ticket Sales

Queen Latifah has proven that she can't carry a movie on her own. I'm sure it will do okay, I'm just saying Sin City beats it by a million at least.

;)

Spin off of successful movie + Queen Latifah + Diary of a Mad Black Woman being sold out all over the country(that's a fact not speculation) = #1 spot.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:37 AM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by bwind22

;)

they still suck:D

Vikings - Moss= even more pathetic.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Spin off of successful movie
Minus the 2 stars that made it a success. (Ice Cube and Cedric. It wasn't Latifah, that's for sure.)

Quote:
+ Queen Latifah
Whoopty fucking doo. See previous comments about Taxi to see what I think of her ability to draw crowds.

Quote:
+ Diary of a Mad Black Woman being sold out all over the country(that's a fact not speculation)
I don't see why you keep trying to connect this. Because they are both black comedies with a female lead? That's kind of irrelevant. I could make a movie about an Italian boxer but that doesn't mean it's going to have the appeal of Rocky. They are totally different (I know there are some common similiarities but I mean to say they are both independent of each other. Their success or failure does not hinge on what the other one does at the box office.)

Quote:
= #1 spot.
Not a chance.

Last edited by bwind22; 03-25-2005 at 03:00 AM.