Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Le Moine aka The Monk (2011)

A short adaptation of of Matthew Lewis' Gothic novel of the same name, the film depicts the downfall of Ambrosia, a monk who gradually falls into depravity and sin through devil's tricks. Beautifully shot with a fine Gothic tone all over director Dominik Moll delivers here a decent diabolical drama where renowned French actor Vincent Cassel convincingly fits into the title role. I have seen only one film of this director before (With a Friend like Harry) which was a good-fun Hitchcockian thriller & I loved that but this time The Monk wasn't as much interesting or great as I expected but worth a watch for sure. Moreover, as far I read about the original novel, dealing with a variety of sacrilegious themes, many characters & sub-plots, I think the novel should be better treated in a TV series format where they could brought all the characters & events nicely together which they highly cut & made it short & simple in this adaptation.

>>: B
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Медвежуть View Post
yep, it's good. def B+. if anyone think about watching it, watch it, it got double checked:D
i was amazed by the fast ER service. in real life it would take them at least a couple of hours to even get assessed, i'm not talkin about surgery. and, yeah, don't know bout Argentina, but MD giving a pack of pain killers "to go" is something unreal in US.
didn't think that the wife was annoying, she was a quite helpful little bitch actually.
Lol, glad you liked it:D
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Banned

Adam Chaplin

I'll let the trailer speak for itself

Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Adam Chaplin

I'll let the trailer speak for itself

Sucked huh? :D
Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Little Boo

Psycho 2 - 10/10
The Cabin in the Woods - 7/10
Old 08-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

First time since I saw the midnight showing that I've seen this and it was just as enjoyable as I remember. Ah, my childhood :'( I mourn you.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
HDC Idol

Anonymous (2011)

I think that most of my enjoyment of this film was the fact that I'm a former English major who has always been fascinated by the true authorship of Shakespeare's plays (though honestly I never actually took the time to research different theories). What I found interesting was that this tale assumes that Edward De Vere, Earl of Oxford was the true Bard and that he wanted his work to be portrayed under a pseudonym so as not to expose his political motives. Also interesting was the concept of plays being blasphemous and treasonous (purposefully) as I think that one of the great purposes of art is to undermine and expose authority.

Where they lost me a bit was in a rather convoluted storyline involving bastards and incest to the point of being a bit too obvious and not really believable. Also it was definitely self-conscious and over-wrought. And we change time periods quite a few times which is disorienting and not successful. Admittedly, though I did like the love story, and understand that these are all nods to Elizabethan times and Shakespearean sub-plots.

Part of me just thinks that it could have been a lot better, if say it had been penned by Thom Stoppard and perhaps directed by Shekhar Kapur. There was a LOT that I liked and the acting was truly superb... There were just parts that I had a hard time suspending my disbelief.

I'm glad I finally saw it, though.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

The dialogue was corny......the plot was thin.....the acting was not Academy Award material ......but

how could any fan boy [ or girl ] not love seeing these three side by side blasting away bad guys!

throw in a fun cameo by Chuck Norris and JCVD playing a badder than bad guy

if you liked the first....you will love the 2nd.

EXPENDABLES 2
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Anonymous (2011)

Pretty well made & entertaining, liked it too. :)

Joshua (2007)

>>: B+
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Boogeymen II: Masters of Horror A Documentary