Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Midnight toker

The Man from Nowhere: Awesome Korean Action movie. Imagine Tony Scotts Man on Fire being given the Korean action treatment. Everything that Korean cinema does so well is delivered. Its a simple plot and perhaps not as well orchestrated as something like Oldboy but it still has bags of heart. Acting is amazing but subtle while the action scenes are intense and brutal. Pacing is spot on, everything is spot on. Best action film I've seen in the past few years, highely recommend.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Evil is Better

War Horse

A very emotional, touching story. I found it to be reminiscent to Black Beauty with the horse winding up with a lot of different people although i would say this is better because you don't hear the horses thoughts so its not silly like Black Beauty was. I loved all the different stories. They did a good job with them. I'm glad to see Spielberg hasn't lost his touch.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
GoreWhore

Bit of a different take on the adbuction movie genre. Pretty decent film.

My signature .gif is from a short film put out by fewdio.com. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6xGU2_g9s

Last edited by _____V_____; 01-05-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: See note in below post. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Immortal horror fan

Psych9.

Just horrible. It's not a horror movie at all. I saw some notable actors and thought I would give it a try. Cary Elwes & Michael Biehn must have been just picking up checks for this one. The twist & ending was unbelievable. Also, if anyone remembers the old board game movie Clue. The actress who played the French maid, at least I thought she was French when I originally watched Clue. She's in Psych9. Sadly, she doesn't look like a French maid anymore. I had to check to make sure it was the same actress. Avoid this movie at all costs.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Evil is Better

Atlas Shrugged: Part 1

I didnt expect a movie about a railroad to be this interesting but i was captivated. I'm excited to see Part 2.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM
mostly ghostly?

In a Lonely Place (1950)

Amazing, heartbreaking Nicholas Ray film. Total classic.

Last edited by _____V_____; 01-05-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Adding smaller poster pic.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Melancholia (2011)

Like Martha Marcy May Marlene, this is another 'powerful' film (with a great cast) that can cause severe depression to some of its viewers.

>>: C

Palabras encadenadas aka Killing Words (2003)

An interesting, twisted Spanish psycho-thriller.

>>: B+
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
mostly ghostly?

Safe in Hell (1931)

Just picked this up through Warner Brother's archive series. Despite them fucking up The Devils release, bless them for recovering forgotten films like this one.
This is a remarkable pre-Code gem. Featuring a rugged cast of characters, and an amazing, shining performance by Dorothy Mackaill, Safe in Hell is almost whimsical, but ultimately anchored by brooding and intense undercurrents, and paced with increasing tension. The last act, then, is a heart-breaking gut-punch. Highly recommended.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Innkeepers (2011/2012)

Like House of the Devil, Ti West's this new spook-fest takes its time to build up the characters & suspense. The story is pretty simple set in a beautiful premise...an old, haunted hotel. The shock factors is kinda low in here which may not satisfy some viewers and with white & fade eyes the main ghost looks kinda silly sometime. But the thing is it's a straight forward ghost story with a little background info and what really interesting is how nicely Mr. West still managed to deliver an effective spooky tale through the doors, rooms & passageways of Yankee Pedlar Inn.
Mr. West shows his craftsmanship as a promising director for genre films another time here by efficiently handling two major technical aspects in the film...the direction and the background scores & sound. The neat camera works & sound mixing beautifully contributed to create & maintain an unease & eerie atmosphere in every corner of the Inn (somewhat like The Shinning) throughout the film and that's the main strength of the film, IMO.

My suggestion: This isn't a horror film that you should watch with your friends or family. To feel & experience the real gem of The Innkeepers, you need to watch it alone in a dark room at night;) (like I did!:D).

>>: A-
Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 AM
GoreWhore

I wasnt sure how well Kevin Smith could make a movie that wasn't his usual stoner comedy, but it seems he absolutely nailed it. It had a fair few more subtle jokes in it towards the end, but other than that it was fairly gritty with a lot of decent action and gore.

HIGHLY recommended.

My signature .gif is from a short film put out by fewdio.com. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6xGU2_g9s

Last edited by _____V_____; 01-05-2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Adding a smaller poster pic. Please link from Amazon.com's smaller pics in future. Thanks.