Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Love is like dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Stake Land (2010)

Really liked this film - Had a great narrative and was a fantastic character piece. The script is actually quite minimal, but the performances are so strong and the environment so vivid that you hardly notice.

This is a slow-burner that focuses on character, emotion, and the world it creates. Definitely dark, but I like this angle of the vampire mythos.

Highly recommended.

4/5.

Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)

Utterly captivating and well-constructed "documentary" on street art and the manufacturing of art as a consumer product... Documentary is in quotation marks because it is speculative as to how much of the film is a true documentary and how much is an elaborate prank perpetrated by Banksy, Shepard Fairey, and Thierry Guetta.

[SPOILERS]
I believe that the movie truly started out as a documentary by Thierry Guetta, though the latter half wherein he transforms into Mr. Brainwash, I believe this persona was created with the help of Banksy and Fairey to comment on how the reproduction of art still creates a stir amongst the consumers and how owning a piece of a Persona is more important than the trashy art itself. Also, it's poking fun of self-indulgent and/or derivative artists... I love the references to Warhol and his commentary on mass production of art.

[/SPOILERS]

Ultimately, I found the finished product to be utterly brilliant. HIGHLY recommended.

5/5.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II (2011)

Solid conclusion to the franchise. The beasties were also incredibly well-done (LOVED the dragon), and Snape's backstory nearly made me cry.

Must-see for Harry Potter fans who have supported the movies up to this point.
stake land was brilliant movie :D
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

ChronoGrl - I totally agree with your opinion about what was and wasn't faked in 'Exit through..'
Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
ChronoGrl - I totally agree with your opinion about what was and wasn't faked in 'Exit through..'
Cool. What did you think of the film overall? I just think it's so brilliant. My hats go off to them. I think it's a very, very smart film. It was refreshing, actually. Plus it had us talking for hours as to what was real and what was a prank, which was fun to discuss and research in and of itself.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Love is like dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"The change-up" 7/10

Quite a few LOL moments, amusing (not too original) story and some very nice performances from the 2&a-half in the leads.

"Saw 3-7" 8-9/10

Before this Saw marathon i'd only seen the first one. Coz although i thought it was a very well made horror movie this cruel torture genre really isn't my cup of tea.

But I must say, that as soon as i started watching the third installment i was hooked. I really liked how all the directors made an effort knitting all the movies together, no matter how far out and fucked up it became (seriously, this jigsaw dude must've been one stressed out mastermind.) Also, the high pacing in all the movies didn't make it worse either.

I really don't understand why the 7th movie is called the final one, coz it enden just as open as all the others. I'm sure we're gonna see an 8 in the near future. And to me, that wouldn't be a bad thing, even tho the 7th might be the worst ine the franchise. So fuck yea, keep em coming.
i heard there is going to be an 8, hope it is better than the 7th.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezuki View Post
stake land was brilliant movie :D
Have you seen Mulberry Street, their first movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473514/

It was released as part of the After Dark Film Festival in 2006, and it was one of my favorites that year.

It's not perfect by any means, but it's very much character-driven to the point where you honestly do care who lives and dies. I was very, very impressed with that low-budget flick. You might enjoy it as well. Nick Damici, who plays Mister in Stake Land has a leading role in Mulberry Street as well, and he's really brilliant.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Love is like dying

Quote:

It was released as part of the After Dark Film Festival in 2006, and it was one of my favorites that year.

It's not perfect by any means, but it's very much character-driven to the point where you honestly do care who lives and dies. I was very, very impressed with that low-budget flick. You might enjoy it as well. Nick Damici, who plays Mister in Stake Land has a leading role in Mulberry Street as well, and he's really brilliant.
cheers chrono i will check it out this weekend.

ill let u know what i think :)
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:

I loved Mulberry Street. A great new take on the Zombie genre. I think the ending should have been tweaked a bit but it was still great.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Cool. What did you think of the film overall? I just think it's so brilliant. My hats go off to them. I think it's a very, very smart film. It was refreshing, actually. Plus it had us talking for hours as to what was real and what was a prank, which was fun to discuss and research in and of itself.
I liked and also enjoyed it. I am already a Banksy fan so that helped.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Undead

Andy Milligan

The last two films I saw were both Andy Milligan produced, directed, written, edited, recorded messes that just squeak into the Modern Horror Film category: The Bloodthirsty Butchers (1970) and The Rats Are Coming, The Werewolves Are Here! (1972). The first is an awful retelling of the Sweeney Todd murders, the second is a could-have-been-better, if-only-he-had-any-talent-as-a-writer story about a family of werewolves. Sad, angry and weird, Andy Milligan. (Not that I'll quit watching his films. Torture Dungeon is next). :eek:
Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoreux View Post
The last two films I saw were both Andy Milligan produced, directed, written, edited, recorded messes that just squeak into the Modern Horror Film category: The Bloodthirsty Butchers (1970) and The Rats Are Coming, The Werewolves Are Here! (1972). The first is an awful retelling of the Sweeney Todd murders, the second is a could-have-been-better, if-only-he-had-any-talent-as-a-writer story about a family of werewolves. Sad, angry and weird, Andy Milligan. (Not that I'll quit watching his films. Torture Dungeon is next). :eek:
These movies are total messes, but so much fun (although not all of them, of course). I really love The Ghastly Ones, Seeds, and Guru the Mad Monk.