Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Phantom's Review: Based on the second and third "Oz' books. this film is far darker in tone than the 1939 classic musical.But it's a good film in it's own right. Unfairly compared to the Judy Garland film this movie is a more faithful adaptation of the L. Frank Baum novels. Very entertaining and a bit scary. I think the film is worth watching, just don't expect any singing or dancing.
I quite liked this one too - not a musical, but that's not what I required of a movie as a child...I never got to see this at the cinema but I remember I was about 7 years old when we first hired the VHS.
It scared me, that much I can clearly recall.
I remember being a bit taken aback by the "different" characters, but yes having seem the original illustrations in the Baum novels I can see that they were designed in a pretty close manner to them.
Having seen it again just about a year ago, I think it still holds it's own as a pretty good "kids" movie, if you can call it that.
As far as the grounds as a sequel, I think it does pretty well there too - there are perhaps some things "missing" and "different" from the musical predecessor, but this to me is the stuff of pretty good sequels, continuity and time gone by...really loved the changed Oz.
This, the "original", and "TinMan" actually make for a great collection.
One day, I'll try to get a collected edition of all the Oz stuff, as I understand it the books proceed quite a bit past the Dorothy stories.

I went and saw Transformers 3 yesterday, expecting very little.
I've not really enjoyed this series much at all, so when the third came around I thought "yep, more explosions".
Surprisingly enough, this one actually had a coherent, and IMO actually decent plot...sure, it was relatively simplistic but compare it to the two films that came before it and it's a pretty major upgrade.
The storyline was ok, the characters...hit and miss...with a just a tad more depth to their interactions with each other and the machines.
Have to say the new chick just looks like a freak to me...while I'd hit it, her mouth makes her look like an alien...she wasn't actually that terrible though, her accent was a little bit annoying - reminded me of Lady Penelope.

***Personally, I know Fox got fired etc...but I thought it would make more sense to bring the Australian chick from the first one back, rather than establish a brand new character out of nowhere...though I suppose her storyline and the events involving her didn't play out too badly***

The machines dialogue and interactions with each other was also an improvement, and in one particular scene...was actually a bit heart wrenching.
The fight scenes were pretty spectacular, and this time they seemed a little less cluttered - better to tell what was going on - They were longer and just, put together in a way I much preferred.
The atmosphere was more tense this time around, and the overall events were on a much larger more significant scale.
I actually...liked this film...
It has everything the others do, it just feels like a better movie.
I don't think it's about to win any awards, but for those who have not enjoyed the series thus far it might be worth a chance.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

RUBBER

The movie has an opening monologue about things happening in movies for "No Reason"....then spends the next hour and a half proving that.

I almost turned this off after a few minutes but stuck with it....it wasn't half as bad as I thought it might be.

Not for everyone.....but YOU may like it

Last edited by newb; 07-06-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
RUBBER

The movie has an opening monologue about things happening in movies for "No Reason"....then spends the next hour and a half proving that.

I almost turned this off after a few minutes but stuck with it....it wasn't half as bad as I thought it might be.

Not for everyone.....but YOU may like it

That movie was insane, i loved it. From what i gathered it was supposed to be a parody or satire of sorts of the way Hollywood makes movies. I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Evil Dead

"Riding Shotgun" (1954)
-Randolph Scott

Plot: IMDB
When a stagecoach guard tries to warn a town of an imminent raid by a band of outlaws, the people mistake him for one of the gang

Phantom's Review: Minor league Randolph Scott film. The acting is good, but the plot is simple, the action is minimal and the attempts at humor fall flat.
And Scott does a truly unnecessary and annoying voice over narration. I like Scott but this is not one of his better films
--
Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Incident at Loch Ness (2004)

>>: B

Tras el cristal aka In a Glass Cage (1987)

>>: A-
Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
That fucking Guy...

Carriers.
Starring Chris Pine (Star Trek), Piper Perabo (Covert Affairs) and a brief appearance by Chris Meloni (SVU/Harold and Kumar).
Set after the outbreak of a deadly viral epidemic, two brothers along with their respective partners are travelling towards a secluded area in order to live safely without coming into contact with the infected...which of course, they do throughout the course of the movie.
A popular theory seems to be that this is a zombie film, it's not. The infected aren't undead, they aren't in any way superhuman or flesh hungry - In fact the larger threat in this reality is the "normal" people and how they react to the situation...ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances kind of thing - Breakdown of civilisation incited by panic.
So yeah it's really more of a drama/thriller I suppose, it's not without it's exciting and terrifying moments though, with situations presenting themselves that require the characters featured to make some terrible decisions, the choice between humanity and survival coming into play...it's a pretty emotionally charged, and scary film, acheiving it's scares not through cheap jumps, rather by introducing ideas and concepts that will play on the mind of the viewer.

If you've seen films along the lines of "Right at your door", or enjoy films that introduce visions of a morbid reality, you'd probably enjoy this film.
Good for what it was.
I'd give it a 7/10

Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Cranky

Hey cheeba I like these new in depth reviews you've been writing. Enjoying them very much!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Hey cheeba I like these new in depth reviews you've been writing. Enjoying them very much!
Cool, Thanks.
I don't watch all that many movies these days - but I figure I should try to give some insight when I can, so yeah I'll try to keep it up.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
That fucking Guy...

That said,

I just rewatched "Rain Man" for the first time in maybe 15 years.
I have many memories of watching this movie as a child...back then, I likely thought it was just about a 'quirky' guy.
So this was the first time I've seen it in my adult life - I got the BluRay, and while it looks "decent", it's nowhere near the quality of the original Dawn of the Dead BluRay I picked up a little while ago...so yeah, it's showing age a little.
Got it for $8 so no complaints there really.

For those that might have missed it, Rain Man stars Tom Cruise as the main protagonist "Charlie" in one of his earlier adult roles (I remember when people actually used to like him, rather than let his personal life colour their opinion...), who has a solid enough performance as a bit of a self centred egotist, though the film is absolutely stolen from under him in every way possible by his characters brother "Raymond" played by Dustin Hoffman.
It's funny, a newer generation of moviegoers may underestimate Hoffmans acting prowess after being involved in a few...less-than-sensible...movie roles of late, but all they need to do is pop on one of the classics like "death of a salesman", straw dogs, (the astoundingly awesome) Papillon, and of course the film you're reading about now.
Hoffman portrays an autistic savant, in a performance he completely embodies to an amazing degree, as a character who is emotionally behind nigh inpenetrable walls.
Long story short, upon the death of his estranged father Charlie discovers that the majority of his estate is falling into the hands of an unknown beneficiary. When he investigates the matter, he finds that this is actually a brother he was unaware of, along with his primary carer and doctor. Raymond resides full time in an institution due to the perceived severity of his condition. Charlie decides to "kidnap" his brother in an brash attempt to extort half of the inheritance he feels he has a right to.
As they spend more time together and the events of the film unwind, the brothers step outside their normal routines and further towards each other, both making personal progress in themselves as they go from strangers to two people with a bond that while distant is very touching and truthful.
A realisation slowly emerges that a sense of "family" that they never had is perhaps worth much more than a dollar figure.
There's some really great character development in this one, some really funny and totally memorable scenes, and also some damn near heartbreaking ones...though the film comes full circle to a satisfying resolution, and one of the better endings you could expect for all involved.
Very well acted all around, and Valeria Golino has to be one of the hottest things in existence...added bonus...
Really excellent musical score and soundtrack as well, this is one of the best elements of the film in my opinion - really sets the mood of their journey.
This film won four academy awards, and watching it again as an adult, it's not difficult to understand at all.

80's gold right there, I'd suggest it very strongly to anyone that's yet to see it, or hasn't revisited it in a while.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:08 AM
Love is like dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
That movie was insane, i loved it. From what i gathered it was supposed to be a parody or satire of sorts of the way Hollywood makes movies. I thought it was pretty funny.
i was going to get this movie but never bothered,but reading you quotes i might have to give it a watch.i like a good b movie.