Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
I really enjoyed Dogtooth. There's no need for a plot; to me, its power lies in documenting some outrageous and fascinating little world. The viewer becomes like a zoo-goer, watching creatures in captivity and feeling sad, yet being transfixed with the way they interact with their censored world. It's definitely disturbing, and like Fearonsarms said, the set-pieces are great. I can certainly see why some might not dig it, it's slow-burning and off-putting, but I was definitely impressed with it.
Okay that makes sense. That's just not the kind of "movie" i like to watch. As for it being disturbing, i dont understand why everyone says that about it and why people think it was hilarious. I didnt get that from it at all.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Evil is Better

I liked it but i dont like they way they handled the death of the daughter. It happens right in the beginning of the movie in a flashback/montage type sequence while the credits are still rolling and a weird music plays killing the mood.

You never got a connection between the daughter and the parents, you never got to see the love and therefore you cant connect with them yourselves and feel for them for the loss of their daughter which is bad because her death is the catalyst for everything they do later on and the events that follows.

It also seemed to be in a hurry to get to the ending and rushed through all the storytelling. Certain elements of it just felt out of place and presented wrong because of that. Also that weird music thing i mentioned plays a lot during scenes that would have been scarier if there had been only silence. It also rips off Pet Semetary.

Not terrible but it had the potential to be really good and in the end it was only okay.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
That fucking Guy...

Marley and Me.
First time viewing, just happened to be on TV.
Nicely made movie, stirred up many a memory of dog behaviour I've encountered in the past.
Last 20 minutes or so were pretty difficult to watch, as someone that's always had dogs it's hard to not be effected.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Okay that makes sense. That's just not the kind of "movie" i like to watch. As for it being disturbing, i dont understand why everyone says that about it and why people think it was hilarious. I didnt get that from it at all.
Yeah, I can understand that. It's definitely not a movie for all tastes.

-----------------

Le Frisson des Vampires (The Shiver of the Vampires) (1971)

Excellent Rollin film.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Evil Dead

"Passengers" (2008)
-Anne Hathaway

Plot: IMDB

After a plane crash, a young therapist, Claire, is assigned by her mentor to counsel the flight's five survivors. When they share their recollections of the incident -- which some say include an explosion that the airline claims never happened -- Claire is intrigued by Eric, the most secretive of the passengers. Just as Claire's professional relationship with Eric -- despite her better judgment -- blossoms into a romance, the survivors begin to disappear mysteriously, one by one. Claire suspects that Eric may hold all the answers and becomes determined to uncover the truth, no matter the consequences.

Phantom's Review: Well acted, but slow moving mystery thriller with a slight supernatural twist. Nothing really original about it, in fact my wife and I figured out "the twist" about half way thru the movie. Not bad, just not all that interesting.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 AM
sCaRyNeSs

Earth. Amazing footage!

SCREAMING OUT I'M A HORRORFAN 'TILL I DIE BITCHES
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Perfect Host (2010)

A pretty interesting psycho-thriller with a great performance from the lead actor David Hyde Pierce but the end twist goes bit too far which quite didn't fit with the whole build up, IMO. Actually I was expecting something more simple but effective. Overall, worth a watch for sure.

>>: B

Fascination (1979)

Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Fascination (1979)

Hey, another Rollin! This one was never one of my favorites, but it has some great imagery.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Evil Dead

"Return To Oz" (1985)
-Fairuza Balk

Plot: IMDB
It has been six months since Dorothy has returned home from Oz and she still cannot sleep. She has been going on about imaginary places and people so much that Aunt Em takes her to see a doctor. She promptly escapes from the mental hospital and wakes up in Oz where her pet chicken, Billina, can now talk. There she meets a whole new bunch of friends and they set off to rescue the Scarecrow from the evil Nome King who has found her ruby slippers and used them to lay waste to the Emerald City and take over Oz.

Phantom's Review: Based on the second and third "Oz' books. this film is far darker in tone than the 1939 classic musical.But it's a good film in it's own right. Unfairly compared to the Judy Garland film this movie is a more faithful adaptation of the L. Frank Baum novels. Very entertaining and a bit scary. I think the film is worth watching, just don't expect any singing or dancing.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Misanthrope

Arthur (2011)

Terrible.... aside from Nick Nolte's performance. None of the style and class of the original.

5 Days Of War

Dull. Just didn't grab me at all. In fact I've already forgotten it.

Trust

Hard Candy did it better. Also dull and uninvolving.

Fuck you Hollywood for wasting 5 hours of my time ;)