Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Evil Dead

"Paranormal Activity 4" (2012)

Plot:
It has been five years since Katie murdered her sister and disappeared with her infant nephew, Hunter, in tow. Now, a new family is about to fall prey to nighttime terrors. A mysterious accident next door leads to teenage Alex and her family becoming the temporary guardians of Robbie, a very creepy neighbor boy. Cameras installed throughout Alex's home capture the sinister events that unfold after Robbie's arrival.

Phantom's Review: When the "home video/Found Footage" type of films first started, I rather enjoyed them. Films like "Paranormal Activity" (1), "Cloverfield", (rec) and a few others were very entertaining. But now with "PA4" I think that ship has sailed and won't be coming back for a while. It's not so much that this is a bad film, it's not, the actors do a good job and there are a couple of decent BOO! scenes, it's just a feeling of "Been There/Seen That". The series has completely lost any sense of originality, that it once had (probably due to too many sequels and imitations)Right from the beginning you could tell who was going to get it, where most of the major scares were coming from and what was going to happen next. Not bad as a rental, but I think it's time to wrap this franchise up.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Living Dead

The ABC Of Death

Extremely strange. Compliation of shorts, one for each letter of the alphabet.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Evil Dead

"Hotel Transylvania"(2012)

Plot: IMDB
Dracula, who operates a high-end resort away from the human world, goes into overprotective mode when a boy discovers the resort and falls for the count's teen-aged daughter.

Phantom's Review: First, let me say, I can't stand Adam Sandler. Don't know why, he just irritates the shit out of me. Now, having said that, I must say that I liked "Hotel Transylvania".
It's cute, silly and has some fun spoofs of the classic movie monsters. It's not great by any means, but it's a fun family movie, and it's a good way to introduce the classic monsters to a younger audience.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Evil Puppy

Clive Barker's Salome/The Forbidden... I was not a fan...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Immortal horror fan

Night of the Demons (Remake) *

SOME SPOILERS

I barely remember watching the original. I don't think it was that good. Looking at parts of the movie on youtube, the only thing I barely remember is the Asian girl. I believe a member here showed me the kissing death scene too for a topic I created.

This remake starts off well. It has an old school vintage horror opening with a kill that's surprising. I heard of it happening before but we see it here in practice. Then it goes to present day New Orleans. They did good casting the actresses. The movie had me hooked from the moment Diora Baird is applying her sexy cat girl makeup. It also has Monica Keena from Freddy vs Jason. She's almost the same character or is perfecting her acting method here. Shannon Elizabeth and Bobbi Sue Luther finish off the good casting on the girls. Both dabbled in horror before. Bobbi Sue looks like she's going to explode out of her dress in the movie. One character mentions it too. Also in the movie is Edward Furlong. I haven't seen him in anything since Terminator 2. I just read a recent story about him getting into trouble for beating his girlfriend. Well, he plays a low end drug dealer in this movie. And really looks gone for much of the movie too. It's kind of funny.

The premise is basically the house has demons that come out on Halloween. Simple and handled well for the most part. But there are some small things that were disappointing. They could have worked on the environments more. Some of the group leave the house a few times. It could have been like the first Resident Evil videogame with paths and a fountain or something. This is New Orleans and there is a lot of old architectural details down there. They did give the house an underground tunnel which was fairly interesting.

I didn't like the demon designs that much. The main one is the best. There were a few uninspired zombie like creatures. A Medusa like creature with tentacles which was a real missed opportunity. I've seen some wild stuff with tentacle monsters and Night of the Demons doesn't even come close. The skull monster is kind of scary. But something horrible happens to a pretty girl for the monster to reveal itself.

Also, Diora Baird has a sex scene with her top on. No guy in the world would keep her top on. I remember a popular actress mentioning once that sex scenes with tops on pulled her out of movies. But this could be explained away as the guy is a bisexual demon and into backdoor practices. Anyway, she does get a wild topless scene later in the movie. I think Shannon Elizabeth became known for a topless scene in that American Pie movie. I've never seen it. But no topless for her here. Just a wild bottle scene. And a good scene with her in a spinning room. I liked that one a lot.

This probably could have been a classic with a little more thought on the creature design/environment and some better guy characters. But I'll still add it to my horror collection one day.

* Disclaimer. I was drinking while watching this movie. And all of the actresses, who are already very pretty, are wearing fishnets. Which is more than a plus in my book.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 03-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Last Seen Movie

Cloud Atlas (2012)

>>: A-

Dark Feed (2013)

>>: D+

Resident Evil: Damnation (2012)

>>: B+

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990)

Hotel Transylvania (2012)

>>: B+
Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990)

Roshiq reminds me of the cat exterminator......:eek:

Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Roshiq reminds me of the cat exterminator......:eek:
lolz! But really love that segment most...particularly at the end the way the killer kitty comes out from his mouth...brilliant...simply brilliant!:)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Evil Dead

The Stuff (1985)

Its the the Blob of consumerism. Some humor and social commentary. Overall a fun watch.

B-

The House of the Devil (2009)
I really enjoyed the atmosphere and time period to set up this suspenseful film. Really enjoyed this.

A-

Last edited by _____V_____; 03-29-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: fixed image link.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Evil Dead

"Django Unchained" (2012)

Plot:
Two years before the Civil War, Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave, finds himself accompanying an unorthodox German bounty hunter named Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) on a mission to capture the vicious Brittle brothers. Their mission successful, Schultz frees Django, and together they hunt the South's most-wanted criminals. Their travels take them to the infamous plantation of shady Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), where Django's long-lost wife (Kerry Washington) is still a slave.

Phantom's Review: As far as I'm concerned Quentin Taratino can make westerns for the rest of his career, and I'll be happy about it. I loved this movie. It's violent, gory and foul mouthed, but it's the closest thing we will get to a spaghetti western in this modern era.
Terrific performances from the cast, and it was cool to see the original "Django" Franco Nero make a cameo.
It's great to see a western be a box office hit again.

Tags
movie