Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Atrocity Exhibition

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)

Been one of my favourites since I first watched it a couple of years ago. I hadn't seen it in close to a year, and it's even better than I had remembered. I can think of very few films that have had such a lasting impression on me. From the very first scenes with the haunting score, and the beautiful (and menacing) scenery, to the haunting final scene, this film is captivating.

-10/10

Nosferatu, Phantom der Nacht (1979)

I might get a lot of shit for saying this, but I actually enjoyed this version more than the 1922 version (that's not to say I don't respect the original for everything it did for the genre, just that I was more captivated by this version). The entire film plays out like a terrible nightmare, and Kinski is completely terrifying in his portrayl of Count Dracula.

-9/10
Old 07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdevil View Post
I just saw a film called SUICIDE. That is the whole title. It was made in 2004and directed by Raoul Heimrich. Its in german with subtitles. Its about a couple who design a website in which people who are going to kill themselves agree to be filmed in the act. Its filmed in the first person (like Blair Witch)so the viewer becomes a participant for most of the movie. The movie is unflinching in its depiction of various forms of suicide. About an hour in there is a depiction of a death that made me (a die hard horror fan) cringe. I think I squealed a little. Has anybody seen this little nasty? Id really appreciate your comments. I thought Id seen it but...
I'm intrigued by this one. Might look it up and check it out.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
he's so bad

they call him baus

they call him baus

baus nigguh

Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy View Post

Nosferatu, Phantom der Nacht (1979)

I might get a lot of shit for saying this, but I actually enjoyed this version more than the 1922 version (that's not to say I don't respect the original for everything it did for the genre, just that I was more captivated by this version). The entire film plays out like a terrible nightmare, and Kinski is completely terrifying in his portrayl of Count Dracula.

-9/10
I agree, I'm a big fan.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Fear itself - The sacricfice" 7/10

This Fear Itself series seems just as good as Masters Of Horror.

The big difference is the less known directors and a slightly smaller budget.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Timber Falls

Very familiar story about a very attractive couple caught up in unpleasantness in the countryside when out hiking. I think some half decent acting makes this one slightly better than average.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"Fear itself - The sacricfice" 7/10

This Fear Itself series seems just as good as Masters Of Horror.

The big difference is the less known directors and a slightly smaller budget.

This makes me want to see Masters of Horror LESS than I did before...

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Bad Natured

Wuthering Heights (1992). Yikes, what am i doing watching a romance? In a word, the dark shadow that is cast over these victims of chance gives this classic story purchase in the realms of wickedness. What a delightful collection of what should be unlikable characters, mean and selfish they were. And yet, the emotional torment that is of their own making ignites the screen. Ralph Fiennes kills it as the love turned sour peasant, a peasant that ultimately makes good on his wealth, bad on his his soul. Juliette Binoche also plays Cathy with aplomb, commanding the demise of Wuthering Heights by turning her back on her heart. And everyone is left to suffer. With dialog that could not be bettered, the acting was stellar, the direction solid. The scenery could not have left but a stronger backdrop of beauty for such a dismal tale to unfold. Merci beaucoup.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
The Victim (1999). Ringo Lam has been compared to John Woo, and this movie shows why. A furious mix of the supernatural, film noir, and outright thriller, this discombobulated story is over-the-top in that can't takes yer eyes off of the screen sorta way. The story itself was a little ambitious, with some elements left unanswered and other scenes more than incredulous. The subtitles were but pidgin English and flashed across the screen faster than a politician changes camps, but no matter, this was still a thrill ride. The acting was solid, and the direction more than competent. While the camera work showed promise, the editing was a little chunky. Again, no matter as this one will entertain despite its flaws. Ashe.
d
If you can somehow track down Ringo Lam's 1988 film School on Fire, you must watch it.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead

Ive always loved this film, primarily it works so well due to the performances of Tim Roth and Gary Oldman as they struggle to come to terms with their scripted lives, punctuated with swift back and forth word games. Probably the weaker parts of the film are those scenes which take place within Hamlet itself, but its a clever little take on a major play's minor characters.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac