Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

This thread's giving me the hump.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
This thread's giving me the hump.

you're lucky - it usually takes a lot more to get me that excited
Old 02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
the main thing I don't like about recent Disney animated films, is that they are so homogenized. I mean, they all look exactly the same, whereas in the classics (like the Rescuers, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations, etc.) the animation style was made to be appropriate and really complimented the film and its atmosphere and tone. Many of the old Disney classics were drawn and animated by real artists, not computer programmers.

Where the old movies had both style and substance, the new Disney animated flicks lack both and are just a transparent attempt to pick the pockets of American pop culture.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by knife_fight
the main thing I don't like about recent Disney animated films, is that they are so homogenized. I mean, they all look exactly the same, whereas in the classics (like the Rescuers, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations, etc.) the animation style was made to be appropriate and really complimented the film and its atmosphere and tone. Many of the old Disney classics were drawn and animated by real artists, not computer programmers.

Where the old movies had both style and substance, the new Disney animated flicks lack both and are just a transparent attempt to pick the pockets of American pop culture.
i agree .. to an extent ... there have been a couple of exceptions.
Bu this disgusting trend of releasing grossly inferior straight to video sequels to famous releases is unbelievable ..

I love the really old Disney .. Snow White being the Jewel in the crown .. and i like the look of Pixar ... but i dont care for much in between ... I hate the Don Bluth era (although it was popular)
and i cant stand the little mermaid/tarzan/lion king style either.

its not just the look of the film .. its the content ..
A parent or sibling always has to die .. there has to be this sense of loss that ensures the emotional buy in of the children watching.... like they cant come up with a more imaginitive way to involve the children.
This is why i always praise Monsters Inc .. it didnt have that same hook .. it was very clever and inventive. In general the Pixar films are still quality .. the one thing carrying Disney ... and now they are leaving ...
Old 02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
yeah, I liked Monsters, Inc. I wasn't putting down Pixar by referring to computer programmers, I was mainly thinking of ones like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.

I also don't like the Don Bluth era.

But with the content, that's kinda what I was saying also. That there isn't any imaginative content. One thing I really like about old Disney cartoons is that the plot is REALLY basic, or has no real point at all (this mainly pertains to the shorts). But nowadays they try and cram some bullshit message into it, like the "circle of life" or the duplicated message of "beauty and the beast" and, ironically, "the hunchback of notre dame." Like in Snow White, here's the plot: Obviously Bad Character screws over Obviously Good Character, Good Guys win! I like that. None of the over-the-top sentimentality crap. I admit, Bambi was good, but it was well-animated and also was the first time the parent-dying plot device was used in a Disney film as the real emotional "hook."
Old 02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by knife_fight
yeah, I liked Monsters, Inc. I wasn't putting down Pixar by referring to computer programmers, I was mainly thinking of ones like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.

I also don't like the Don Bluth era.

But with the content, that's kinda what I was saying also. That there isn't any imaginative content. One thing I really like about old Disney cartoons is that the plot is REALLY basic, or has no real point at all (this mainly pertains to the shorts). But nowadays they try and cram some bullshit message into it, like the "circle of life" or the duplicated message of "beauty and the beast" and, ironically, "the hunchback of notre dame." Like in Snow White, here's the plot: Obviously Bad Character screws over Obviously Good Character, Good Guys win! I like that. None of the over-the-top sentimentality crap. I admit, Bambi was good, but it was well-animated and also was the first time the parent-dying plot device was used in a Disney film as the real emotional "hook."

even snow white to some extent .. she's got no father or mother, her step mother wants to off her...
pretty alienated.

every kids greatest fear .... to be alone