Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Scares Little Kids

Hello everyone. You can't get more "classic horror" than Dracula, maybe that's why there have been so many spin-offs. Stoker's book remains one of the most atmospheric and creepy I have read to this day and if you haven't yet read it, shame on you! Get ye hence and buy a copy.

Discussing the many actors who have played the Count is a bit like comparing all the actors who have played Bond - it's all a matter of taste (pun intended).

Lugosi was excellent, in a class of his own; his real-life eccentricity couldn't fail to shine through his performance.

I'm afraid Palance made me giggle. As did the actor who played him in Count Yorga (somebody refresh my mem'ry please).

Lee, to me, is the definitive Dracula, whether he likes to be reminded of the role or not. I have been fortunate enough to meet him several times when I was on the committee of the Dracula Society many years ago. Some might be interested (or not) to know his fave topic of conversation is - not movies, but GOLF.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Evil Dead

Count Yorga

Count Yorga was played by Robert Quarry, released by American International Pictures.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cheyenne3918
Lee, to me, is the definitive Dracula, whether he likes to be reminded of the role or not. I have been fortunate enough to meet him several times when I was on the committee of the Dracula Society many years ago. Some might be interested (or not) to know his fave topic of conversation is - not movies, but GOLF.
that doesnt suprise me in the least (golf)
Must have been amazing to work with him ..

Get a chance to ask him if he was close to Peter Cushing ?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Scares Little Kids

Thanks for that Tat2. Robert Quarry that was indeed the guy.

Hi urgeok, regarding Peter Cushing, no I never did mention him to Christopher but I did know the lady who ran his fan club for many years, and she used to describe Cushing as religious, something of a loner, and utterly devoted to his wife. When she died, his entire world fell apart.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

Hi urgeok, regarding Peter Cushing, no I never did mention him to Christopher but I did know the lady who ran his fan club for many years, and she used to describe Cushing as religious, something of a loner, and utterly devoted to his wife. When she died, his entire world fell apart.

well, there's something you'll never hear in hollywood.

sad but touching..
Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:

No problem. I am a variable warehouse of usless knowledge!:D
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Evil Dead

For some reason I really hated "Bram Stokers Dracula". I'm a lifelong fan of the character and have read the book and seen dozens of film versions but this film left me cold. I thought it was miscast and the reincarnation love story was stolen right out of "Dark Shadows". To me the best Dracula was Christopher Lee in "Horror Of Dracula" and Bela Lugosi in the 1931 Universal classic.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:04 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
Dracula

Well my favorate Dracula movie is Hammers 1958 movie Dracula with christopher lee and Peter Cushing. The 1958 movie was advertised here in the USA as Horror of Dracula so as not to confuse the public with Universals 1931 Dracula movie. The 1st Dracula movie ever made was in Russia in1920. The 2nd Dracula movie was made in Hungry titled Drakula it stared Paul Askonoas as Dracula. Then in 1922 in Germany Prana Studios wanted to make a Dracula movie. They were stopped when Florence Stoker Bram Stokers widdow threatend to sue if the name of the movie was not changed. Prana made the movie and retitled the movie Nosferatu. Nosferatu is a movie about a Vampire named Graf Orlok not Dracula and actor Max Shreck played the role of Graf Orlok. However in 1931 Universal studios bought the rights of Dracula from Florence stoker and made 2 Count Dracula movie in 1931 an english version with actor Bela Lugosi and a spanish version with actor Carlos Vallarias. Hammer studios made a deal in the late 1950s and bought the rights of a few of Universals movie monsters one of them being Dracula. Hammer then hired actor Christopher Lee to play the role of Dracula. Lee was Dracula in 7 Hammer movies from 1958-1973. Other notible Draculas were Frank Langella in 78or 79 and Gary Oldman in Bram Stokers Dracula in 1992.